red cotton yarn and bleeding...

ratdog

Question

I want to make a red and white beanie for my niece.

Apparently she needs it to be cotton because wool and acrylic make her break out (TMI - sorry)

Anyway. How do you avoid the red and white bleeding?

Wash the red first?

Any advice?

8 answers to this question

I would make a little test swatch first, to see if the red even bleeds. If it does, here is what I would do (mind you, I am a bit crazy)...

I would make a very, very basic quick, swatch in the red, enough to use as much as you would use in the hat. Then I would wash it enough to make sure it wouldn't bleed anymore. Then, I would pull out the fastening knot, and directly crochet from the swatch to the new hat. Then I would know that the red had been washed and was no longer going to bleed.

That being said though, I've used lots of colored cottons (think Sugar N Cream) with whites and haven't had any problems in the wash thus far.

Good luck!

A friend of mine had the same problem. She put all the red skeins in pantyhose and washed them in the machine. It took something like 4 full dryer cycles to finish drying the insides of the skeins. The finished hat came out gorgeous with no bleeding.

I don't know where I heard this from but somewhere it has been said that if you soak the item in salt water it sets the color. May be an old wives tale though so check it out first. lol

Archived