Favorite Crochet Literature

I was just thinking it would be nice to see what all of the talented people here on the 'ville use as inspiration/instruction in the way of literature and what's popular. I'm always interested in things that can help beginners (I'm basically still a beginner) so if you know anything useful for people just starting out that would be cool too. Um. Here's my usual apology if this has already been asked and please remember copyright rules when mentioning sources. Hope this works well!

This site! Truly, I have learned a lot of little hints here that I have not read before and if you ever run into trouble during a project, there are answers for the asking here almost any time of day or night.

I think all beginners should also have at least one Crochet magazine subscription. They usually have beginner patterns and keep the interest by bringing a whole selection of patterns each month. I have decided to get mine in digital format online to prevent my ever-growing pattern collection from over-taking my home. It is a nice way to get the magazines and you wind up with a nice search function too.

Another thing to help -- the books that give a collection of stitches/patterns instead of more specific projects. You can use them to either design your own project, learn a new stitch, or embellish a project from another source. A couple of my favorites include:

--The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns

--Around the Corner Crochet Borders (You can really jazz up an afghan [project with one of these borders!)

--154 Crochet Wave Patterns (Wonderful Ripple stitches)

--101 Crochet Granny Squares (not sure of the exact title I have but there are several worth buying! You can build your own easily from free online sites too!)

I will often get one of these books out to create an afghan. I like to try new stitches and patterns so these sort of books are a goldmine of learning even though I have crocheted for years!

Thank you DebraKay! You took this to a whole new level and I think some people will really get a lot out of your reply. I especially like what you had to say about the magazine subscription. I'm not subscribed, but I think I may look into it cause you're right about the flow of patterns. Although... The magazines I've bought never seem to have easy for me patterns:blush . Anyway, thanks so much for sharing some of your favorites and all that great advice.

One online magazine subscription, mainly because it helps me keep in touch with who is new in designing and what the more current trends are, and keeps my evergrowing pattern book stock in check.

Many binders of free patterns lets me check out a lot of blogs and websites.

For books I have a few with a variety of patterns, like "Crochet that fits" and "Everyday Crochet".

But my main love is purses, afghans and doilies, as well as some baby/doll items, so I do pick up a lot of pamplets and booklets that are specialized in those areas. Alot of them are Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss as well as the vintage DMC, Coats & Clark, and Magic Crochet as well as Crochet Fantasy. The old patterns are classics and work well for all time periods.

Being in the ville is the best source for learning new techniques and getting refreshed on old ones...

Archived