can u do this???

dwiggicb

Question

5 answers to this question

I will tell you this: using a machine to sew handles onto fabric purses can be tricky enough! You have to have a very wide swing arm and plenty of space between the foot and the handle. When you are working with crocheted fabric, it gets even tougher. Running the fabric through the dogs can cause catches and snags. You can run a piece of wax paper under the fabric and then just peel it off after you've sewn the handles on. But even that can be problematic. So, can you? I suppose, sure. Should you? Well, that will all depend on how adventurous and brave you are. And how much time and effort was vested in that bag of yours. :wink

My suggestion is to sew the handles on by hand, either with needle and thread, or with tapestry needle and yarn. :hook

Yeah but it's difficult. Good advice above me. I use tissue paper instead of waxed paper but the theory is the same.

The biggest problem I have with sewing crochet is that the yarn snags on the feed dogs.

I wouldn't do it. Crochet fabric is pretty thick. I forsee broken needles, snage and pulls from catching on the feed dog, and a lot of frustartion.

I would sew them on by hand with yarn and a tapestry needle.

If you have a "heavy duty" machine, you will be able to do this. I would follow the recommendation to put paper under the crochet so it doesn't catch on the feeddog and don't use the pedal, han turn the wheel, that way you have more control and will be less likely to break the needle.

Archived