Finally learned to use DPN's without tears.

CLLinda

After trying several times to use dpn's, with a few tears as the stitches fell off, or other difficulties, I have finally mastered the right technique to use them. I watched a few videos and that really got me going.

I'm making a hat now for an American Girl Doll, and it's turning out just fine.

So what do you think of DPN's?

:manyheart

watching other people using dpns, i thought it looked like octopus wrestling!:lol

I have tried magic loop for the ends of sleeves and for socks and felt like i was wasting time constantly pulling the needle around. I liked using 2 circulars better. but circulars are expensive and i do not want to have to buy an extra circ in every size i need.

So, amazingly, I have ended up using dpns (which are much cheaper than that extra circ). I can hardly believe it:eek but I actually enjoy using them! I am making socks with teeny sock yarn and 2.75mm dpns, which are bamboo so they grip the yarn better.

i never thought i would knit anything so small but i bought this yarn over a year ago and it started to really bug me that it was sitting there unused. and sadly i did not like how it looked crocheted, or i would have crocheted socks and be done by now instead of creeping along w/ these tiny knit sts;)

They're fine. It took me a bit to get used to them but the only pair of socks I have made without ladders were done on DPNs. On circs I cannot seem to avoid the climbing equipment. I think my next pair of socks will go back to DPNs, slow as it is.

Way to go! I love DPN's! I found that if you make sure that the ends of the 2 needles you are knitting with are on top of the other needles, it works better....for me at least.

Way to go! I love DPN's! I found that if you make sure that the ends of the 2 needles you are knitting with are on top of the other needles, it works better....for me at least.

Thanks for the info. I tried it and it worked out great. It was a bit like octopus wrestling until I got the hang of it. Now I'm not so afraid anymore. Will be tackling a skirt for American Girl doll soon. They are perfect for doll clothes.

Well done!

What do I think of DPNs? It's like OCTOPUS WRESTLING! :lol

LOL That is the perfect way to describe DPNs. I don't have a problem using them to finish the top of a hat but I always struggle for the first couple rows when I make socks.

Congrats! It does take a bit to get the hang of it so you are not alone with your struggles. I prefer to use two circulars as I find it a lot easier to do and I dont drop stitches as often but DP's are much cheaper and easier to find in the smaller sizes.

Thanks for the info. I tried it and it worked out great. It was a bit like octopus wrestling until I got the hang of it. Now I'm not so afraid anymore. Will be tackling a skirt for American Girl doll soon. They are perfect for doll clothes.

Glad I could help!

• 3 weeks later...

I like them. I have only used them to finish off a couple of hats - and I have started a sock for the sock class I am going to take - it IS quite frustrating at the beginning off a sock! But i don't think I'll ever delve into that Magic Loop. I checked it out and I don't think it's for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used them, and ended liking them...for my hair! :) I taught myself the magic loop method, and I won't ever go through the issues I have with DPN's ever again. I only get ladders with DPN's. Magic loop for me is so much easier that unless some pattern, some day, just screams my name and cannot be done except with DPN's....I'll keep using them like hair chopsticks, heh.

I've used them, and ended liking them...for my hair! :) I taught myself the magic loop method, and I won't ever go through the issues I have with DPN's ever again. I only get ladders with DPN's. Magic loop for me is so much easier that unless some pattern, some day, just screams my name and cannot be done except with DPN's....I'll keep using them like hair chopsticks, heh.

That's a good use for those wild little sticks!

• 1 year later...

Two things I thought I could never do is working with dpns and making socks. But after making a pair of easy basic baby socks I now love using dpns. The beginning is always a little hard but after a few rows it starts to get easier and then the fun begins. :lol

I love DPN's!! One of my twins wanted to learn how to make socks (she is 8) . I gave her the option of circs or dpn's and she picked dpn's as that is what I use. She is doing wonderfully with them!

Congrats. I just finished one baby sock. I have the cast on stitches for the 2nd one. It's not perfect but I'm still learning how to make them.

I love DPN's!! One of my twins wanted to learn how to make socks (she is 8) . I gave her the option of circs or dpn's and she picked dpn's as that is what I use. She is doing wonderfully with them!

• 1 year later...

Never used them, but I watched my bf's mom use them and she made it look so easy.  She just whipped right through the sock,  I've also watched her use these giant dpns on a sweater sleeve, hope I get as fast as she is, and as good.  

Archived