Cat and Dog toys needed for AL Tornado Victims

Nikkidear

Greetings,

I just learned that the Greater Birmingham Humane Society is asking for a number of things for their huge influx of pets due to the tornadoes that rocked the area this week. So I am taking it upon myself to put out the word to the good people here that cat and dog toys are on that list. I will be getting the mailing address shortly and will post it here. I'm asking with the weekend coming up won't you all take an hour or two out of your busy schedules and whip up a few toys for the homeless traumatized pets. I'll post some pics of what I send. Who is with me?

Just talked with the good people over there and they are also in need of snuggle blankets.

Their mailing address is

Greater Birmingham Humane Society

300 Snow Dr.

Birmingham, AL 35209

And if you could include your contact info so they can thank you.

Here's their webpage if you like

http://www.gbhs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=gbhs_home

What size(s) should the snuggle blankets be? I can sew them up faster than I can crochet them up; my fabric stash is pretty...uh...sizeable.

Quilted? Single-layer? Double layer? I just looked at the url you provided, but there aren't any details on blankets or toys. I'll be happy to do anything like this, since I'm at such a long distance from Alabama.

For anyone close enough to help *and* whose home and possessions are still intact, please also consider donating grooming supplies like shampoo. I did volunteer bathing and grooming at two humane societies in the S.F. Bay Area after Katrina, when Operation Pet Lift/Orphans of the Storm brought in hundreds of Katrina animals (cats and dogs), and donations of shampoo, bleach, towels, brushes, and the like were godsends. We used absolutely *everything* we were given. I'm sure Greater Birmingham is in the same situation.

The more photos and film I see of Tuscaloosa and Mississippi, the more I am reminded of the devastation of Katrina.

DCM

They didn't specify, so going by thr snuggles project website,

"Crochet, knit, quilt or sew cloth blankets in the following guideline sizes:

14” x 14” for cats and small animals

24” x 24” for cats and small to medium dogs

36” x 36” for medium to large dogs

These sizes are just guidelines. The actual Snuggles don’t have to be exact. They

could be made out of acrylic yarn or cotton in any pattern or color that you

choose. The ends should to be double-knotted and fastened off long and

woven through the work to prevent unraveling from washing and wear. Also

make them thick for comfort and warmth."

Personally I'm crocheting roughly 18x24" as in my experience this has always seemed to be a good size for kitties. Dogs I would assume larger sizes are needed too.

Thanks for jumping on this! :)

They didn't specify, so going by thr snuggles project website,

"Crochet, knit, quilt or sew cloth blankets in the following guideline sizes:

14” x 14” for cats and small animals

24” x 24” for cats and small to medium dogs

36” x 36” for medium to large dogs

These sizes are just guidelines. The actual Snuggles don’t have to be exact. They

could be made out of acrylic yarn or cotton in any pattern or color that you

choose. The ends should to be double-knotted and fastened off long and

woven through the work to prevent unraveling from washing and wear. Also

make them thick for comfort and warmth."

Personally I'm crocheting roughly 18x24" as in my experience this has always seemed to be a good size for kitties. Dogs I would assume larger sizes are needed too.

Thanks for jumping on this! :)

Great feedback. Thank you very much!

DCM

I have a small stash of catnip 'mice' I make, I'll get going on a couple snuggles too. I usually give them to my local shelter so I'm pretty well practiced on them. I've made cat snuggles with 3 strands of ww which make a nice thick mat for them, and also single strand blankeys. My shelter likes my lap size ones cause they fit on the shelves in those big cat cages they use.

I can't even imagine how devastated and helpless I'd feel if a tragedy like that hit here and my cats were in need. Poor kittys Doggies and other pets too.

Sent out my first boxes last night. One was filled with store bought dog toys and treats, the other had 2 crocheted snuggle blankets and 40 crocheted cat nip toys. My hand now resembles a claw...lol.

I will get busy and get some snuggles made. I also have a very large stash of dog toys that belonged to my German Shorthair. I lost him in October at the age of 19. I was going to take them to my local shelter, but I think they will better appreciated down South.

Archived