round ripple help.

snapdragon928

Question

14 answers to this question

:cheerIf the centre pops out, it generally means you do not have enough stitches on some of your rows, rather than it being a problem with your centre.

If you are working a 12 pointer, you need to work 1 row with V stitch (no increase) and 2 rows with Shell (both increase rows).

If you are working less points, you need to increase more often, sometimes on all rows and sometimes you need to be working a larger shell in each point, especially when you only have 5 points.

Let us know a bit more about what you are doing so we can better help you.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Yes, that is the pattern, I was using the pattern for that afghan, the one with the webs. Afraid of saying the name due to rules. licensing and all that. I thought everyone would know it by that name. stitch and frogs pattern.12 points. I was using a k hook. I had all the stitches right, the count was right. I pulled it all out. And I am using an I hook, because my single crochet is a different gauge than my double crochet, but what I did on the afghan was half double crochet for the black rows. So the gauge was ok, but the black lines looked too thick. So I was planning on using the I hook for the double crochet rows and k for the single crochet rows. I did the v stitch row, then the next rows up to seven are large shell rows, row seven is a small shell rows. Then it's two large shell rows then a small shell row. Oh, the yarn is I love this yarn, acrylic, worsted weight, I believe. it was the first row that popped up then began to not lay flat at about round five. Maybe I need to start small shells earlier?

I did something different the first time I did this pattern, on the first few rows, and it laid flat, I can't remember what I did. I think I increased more slowly? but that doesn't seem to make sense. So that couldn't be it.

Aggie May, you are the reigning queen of round ripple variations, its so nice of you to help

Ok, I looked at other patterns which had suggestions, one of which was to turn your work after each round for at least the first four or five rounds. So the middle is now flat. But tips are curling up and it is ruffling on the blue part. So more small shell rows, I beleive.

Most of the 12 points will tell you once the center is completed to work 1 round of Vst and 2 rounds of shell. This will keep the afghan going pretty much flat to any size you want to work it.

I'm one of those that turns every single round. There's no right or wrong way - I just find it to lay better and it keeps everything nice and straight.

I don't know how large you're planning on the ghan to be but a hdc for the black rounds sounds about right. I don't like adding rounds of sc to a dc round ripple. Just work in the black as you would whatever round you're on.

Here's the link to my version of the 12p round ripple. I do my centers a little differently http://rosereddesigns.blogspot.com/2011/02/rosereds-12-point-round-ripple-free.html and here's the link to my tut for the webbing http://rosereddesigns.blogspot.com/2011/03/webbing-4-spidey-style-round-ripples.html

The picture in the webbing tut has the black rounds in dc. Once it's bigger it evens out. I do think I prefer them in hdc tho.

As far as naming patterns - when you're asking for help- that's fine. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to give you help. You can post the name and the link to the pattern or even a row or 2 that you're having trouble with. You just can't post the pattern in it's entirety or the pics associated with them.

:thinkRemember, if you add rows of shorter stitches, such as HDCs or SCs, you will need to work a different sequence of V Stitch and Shell rows because both of these are shorter stitches so need less increasing to keep them flat.

You may find you need to add an extra row of V Stitch to prevent your RR from going frilly on the edges.

I do not turn between rows but I do not usually have a problem with my RR keeping nice and flat and straight.

I think it is simply personal preference.

Remember, if you do turn between rows, the start of the row will be different to when you just go in one direction.

Hope this is all helping you to keep going with your RR.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

If you search the help boards putting that pattern name in you will find a bunch of threads on that pattern that might be usefull. There is no reason I know of you can't mention or link to that free pattern as it has been discussed before here no problem. Mary

Colleen, I see your point but if she's adding 5 or 6 rounds of black spaced out throughout of 40 - it's really not going to make that much of a difference if she uses hdc. The smaller the ghan and then less rounds of black will make less of a difference.

Once a person starts throwing in sc rounds - that really screws up the count.

I just prefer the look of the work when it's turned. I also think it makes the sts in the valley line up better. Like you said - it's all personal preference.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxpY2RmcmVlcGRmc3xneDo3MWQ0ZDE4OGY1MjQxYWUz This is the rosered pattern that really helped. It is a little more wordy than the one on the blog. I just wrote a big message and crochetville bumped me off. The name for the spiderman afghan by Gail comes up as super hero dream catcher on ravelry, when you put spider man afghan in the search engine. I don't know why.

I appreciate all the help guys. I got the middle flat by double v stitch in one point, then v stitch in next point all around, then adjusting with double v stitch on tips on black row. Then double v stitch shell and v stitch rows alternating. Now that I am through like two or three black single crochet rows, I am not liking the single crochet rows, they throw me off. Sigh. I'ts not too far yet. I can still rip it out.

I really like the five to ten point spiderman afghan. Maybe I am judging my work too harsh. Maybe I need to relax and just go for it and let it get bigger. I am just not ripping out that middle red section, 'cause it' looking good.

I have made two of these round ripple afghans, thought they were frilling up, but they looked great in the end. I don't know why I am fussing so much about this one. Except it's for my grandson, who I made one for and mother doesn't know what I am talking about when I ask for it. He is with a foster mom now who is ready to adopt him and has finally let us start seeing him. He was asking where his blanket went at first when she first got him. Mom is my step daughter. She got rid of everything when she found out she wasn't going to get him back, and I really wish I could get back the stuff I have made for him as a baby and through the years.

I'm really glad that the pattern helped you.

I think you're fussing too much too. Stick with the hdcs for the black rounds. You're really not that far into it and it takes on a different look as it gets bigger.

I got the middle flat by double v stitch in one point, then v stitch in next point all around, then adjusting with double v stitch on tips on black row. Then double v stitch shell and v stitch rows alternating. Now that I am through like two or three black single crochet rows, I am not liking the single crochet rows, they throw me off. Sigh. I'ts not too far yet. I can still rip it o

I have no idea what all that means or what a double Vstitch is. Are you doing 2 Vsts in the points?

The shell made has been called the double v stitch before in another pattern, 2 double crochets chain 2 two double crochets makes a double v stitch shell, all in the same stitch or area. Then v stitch is the double crochet chain two double crochet in one stitch or area. Same thing as what you are doing in your pattern. The black rows are now double crochet and I am about done catching up, and I am trusting the one row of v stitch, then 2 rows of shells. It's looking pretty good, minamal frilling.. No cupping of the middle. I will crochet on!

Regardless of what it's called in the pattern - (2dc, ch2, 2dc) is a shell. Crochet can get confusing when things are called by different names.

Can't wait to see it.

Archived