In Need of Sympathy

HomekeepingGran

I have a pretty big doily going. It ruffled and so I ripped back about 8 rounds and re-crocheted. This is toward the end of a 50-round doily, understand. OK, so I re-crochet and then when I am nearly back to where I was before I ripped the first time, the numbers aren't working right. I need 56 sets of teeny motifs and I have 55¾! :bang I have to look, look and look some more. I'm still not certain I've found the mistake but if what I am seeing it truly it, then I need to rip at least 6 rounds another time and, sigh, re-crochet.

There are no words. Well, I guess it is a good thing cotton thread is tough.

I need a hug.

Thank you. Thank you so much, everyone. I love the hugs. :ghug At this point my confidence is, well, not shot exactly, but I still am unsure I've corrected the right way just because I keep thinking I'm not seeing right. (I don't have a very good record on this one, after all.) I asked my husband to help me check it over and we agreed that the mistake seemed to be at a certain place. After frogging I crocheted back a tiny bit and it looks OK.

But is it? :eek

P.S. I did consider a creative fudge, Kathy. It just doesn't work this time.

I can totally relate to your pain. I am working on a rnd tablecloth and have over a hundred rnds done. Well I had to frog 3 rnds the other day. Must admit I was close to tears.... So I can definitely feel your pain. Have a little faith in yourself. You will get this.

Oh, ouch, Carla and Kathy, I sympathize whole-heartedly. I hate discovering a mistake in a doily as you go along, because it always means ripping out a whole round (and they get so much bigger as you go), or more. Ripping out several rounds at the levels you are talking about just reminds me why I rarely do more than 35 rounds on anything...:eek

Oh, Kathy — oh dear. I can feel your pain, too. I can't imagine making something that big and a mistake would be devastating.

Thanks again, friends. It will be fine in the end, I'm sure. Just not sure when the end will come, LOL. :lol At this rate I'm going to change the name from Sweet Nostalgia to Everlasting Doily! (See? — I'm better this morning; I can joke about it a little.) I've had other projects here and there which just seemed doomed with one mistake after another. Most of them are now finished. ;)

I think it is happening to most of us, especially when we are in bigger projects, it is really painful, I had very similar experience when I was making really large spiral table center, this one,

http://turkishlace-crochetworkbydemet.blogspot.com/2009/03/spiral-thecnique-table-cloth.html

there was an error at the begining of roses, I had to redo few times and finally saw the publisher made an error. But it finally completed. I am sorry that is happening

Demet

Thank you, again, all of you. I think we all have done this before; I know I have, but was just so tired and frustrated the other night when I first posted, and I knew there would be sympathizers here on C'ville. :hug My husband sat down and looked at it with me (this was before I spotted the error) and said, "Why don't you just call it good and leave it like this?" — Well, I could have, I guess. But I had already posted the pattern new into the Ravelry database and it doesn't have a picture yet, although there are a few pictures of the unfinished doily in my own area. Besides, I LIKE the edging (it's pretty) and would always wish it were finished properly. It would have fretted me not to have it done right.

I finally, just last night, worked past the round where I ripped twice, once because of ruffling and once from my own dumb mistake. Lord willing, this thing will actually be finished soon! I am now on Round 47 of 50. Maybe, maybe I can get it done.

Oh my, I can't begin to count how many times I have had to frog and redo. When I hit the 5th or 6th time, I put it all down and walk away. Sometimes I start something else for a break (usually in a different yarn or color with a different size hook) just to clear my head. When I go back I re read the pattern, and approach it with a fresh outlook.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes I have to walk away again, and sometimes it wasn't me at all, but an error in the pattern itself.

I refuse to let it turn my relaxation and enjoyment in crocheting to something sour.

Deep breaths and relax for awhile,

:hug

Oh my, I can't begin to count how many times I have had to frog and redo. When I hit the 5th or 6th time, I put it all down and walk away. Sometimes I start something else for a break (usually in a different yarn or color with a different size hook) just to clear my head. When I go back I re read the pattern, and approach it with a fresh outlook.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes I have to walk away again, and sometimes it wasn't me at all, but an error in the pattern itself.

I refuse to let it turn my relaxation and enjoyment in crocheting to something sour.

Deep breaths and relax for awhile,

:hug

Yeah, I just frogged back to Round 42 or 43 and walked off for a while. My biggest error is that I didn't use a large enough hook for going up a thread size, I'm quite sure; now I'm paying for it with the thing ruffling — again. The pattern calls for #30 thread and I'm using #20. Waaaay back in 2008 I asked what the rule of thumb for changing thread sizes was in this post. I was not smart enough to go back and check my own question before I began this doily, although I clearly remembered having asked it at the time I started it. Smart Carla was too lazy to go look it up. My gauge is too small for the thread I'm using and that's the size of it.

Sometimes I am dumb and other times I am dumber. :confused

I need to do something else. Where's my knitting? Or maybe I should just read and forget handwork for the moment. Certainly my brain isn't engaged properly for it.

Cheers!

great to hear you are so close to the end! it must be frustrating that your thread change has caused so much trouble. I've seen some of your pictures, and I'm excited to see the finished results!

• 2 weeks later...

Carla, your almost at the end. Hang in there

:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:manyheart:hug:hug:hug:hug

:crocheting:crochetingYou almost done.... Last month I had to frog 5 rows in size 20 thread. It made me feel like I was starting over.............took me forever to finish that doily so I told my self one day at a time. Just get it done.

I am sure no one wants to frog, we all don't like doing it. I hope all of our hugs percked you up..

Demet, where is the pattern for that TurishLace Rose Tablecloth......I see it and oh so beautiful, do you know what book it is in or where the chart is? still clicking and not getting anywhere.

Terry

I think it is happening to most of us, especially when we are in bigger projects, it is really painful, I had very similar experience when I was making really large spiral table center, this one,

http://turkishlace-crochetworkbydemet.blogspot.com/2009/03/spiral-thecnique-table-cloth.html

there was an error at the begining of roses, I had to redo few times and finally saw the publisher made an error. But it finally completed. I am sorry that is happening

Demet

Archived