Huuge news!!!!!!!!

jimbo

THE CRAFT AND HOBBY ASSOCIATION HAS RELEASED THE 2010 STUDY OF CRAFT SALES AND PARTICIPATION AND GUESS WHAT!!!???

CROCHET BEAT KNITTING!!! TAKE THIS TO YOUR "KNITTING" DOMINANT LYS AND SHOW THEM WHY THEY SHOULD FOCUS MAYBE A LITTLE MORE ON CROCHET, EH?

This is copied from their report, highlights mine:

Top Ten Craft Segments by Sales

1. Woodworking/Wood Crafts $3.322 billion
  2. Drawing $2.078 billion
  3. Food Crafting $2.001 billion
  4. Jewelry Making $1.446 billion
  5. Scrapbooking & Memory Crafts $1.440 billion
  6. Floral Decorating $1.303 billion
  7. Crocheting $1.062 billion
  8. Card Making $1.040 billion
  9. Home Décor Crafts (Non-Sewing) $948 million
  10. Wedding Crafts $803 million

Top Ten Craft Segments by Household Participation*

1. Drawing 21.1 million households
  2. Scrapbooking & Memory Crafts 18.4 million
  3. Crocheting 17.4 million
  4. Woodworking/Wood Crafts 16.8 million
  5. Jewelry Making 14.7 million
  6. Card Making 14.0 million
  7. Floral Decorating 13.6 million
  8. Cross-Stitch 13.3 million
  9. Knitting 13.0 million
  10. Wreath Making 11.6 million

See the full report at:

http://craftandhobby.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/cha-announces-2010-craft-industry-statistics/

oh... and maybe note what was #1? heh Actually I shouldn't brag... cause that only means us woodworkers spend lots on our craft. And aint that the troot!

Jimbo

This is amazing, in a way. Crocheters use more yarn than knitters do but knitters often spend quite a bit more on their yarns. (Not always, of course.) Thanks, Jimbo, for the heads-up! Interesting results!

Thanks for passing those stats along for us, Jimbo. I found it very interesting! When I started with a craft business, I sold crochet at craft shows. I had fun but made little money. I'd maybe sell a couple hundred dollars worth a show. By the time I paid booth rental & accounted for my supplies, there was really no profit. I saw the painted wood (decorative painting) was selling like hot cakes at that time, so gave it a try myself. My husband was very good at woodworking so we slowly equipped a wonderful wood shop with sales from my painting. He cut the wood & I painted. He also made small funiture items & custom projects. We had a thriving business -- stayed as busy as we allowed it. My painting started as very basic & primitive and evolved into detailed, more artistic work. Then I started giving classes. That, too, went well & eventually got too big. We wound up getting out of the craft business all together. After I lost my husband, I needed to revive a hobby to fill my time. I miss my painting but miss my DH a lot more and couldn't see myself doing it without him. So, I came full circle -- back to crochet.

I love crochet because it is such a nice relaxing craft. You don't need a lot of different supplies at once (although I found a way to accumulate a LOT of different supplies & tools of this trade too!). But, you can take one skein of yarn & one hook and entertain yourself for hours! :)

BTW -- I completed my first project since my surgery using the wonderful hook you made for me! I absolutely love crocheting with this hook! I am going to order more. They take all of the cramping away from my fingers. I guess holding the hook in a little different manner, having it be wider in areas and weighted the way it is, changes everything! I was really having a time of it with the finger cramps -- now I have a tool to prevent it. Thanks a million! Think I will mosey on over to see if you have any more made ahead or some special woods being highlighted on your site! :D I am a fan now!

• 4 weeks later...
:woo YAHOO!!! Crocheting beats knitting. That tickles me to death. But, truthfully, I think they each have their own place. I just prefer crocheting. I tried learning how to knit but could not catch on. I could do a roll of purl and a row of knit but could not do a row using both stitches. A few years later I tried crocheting and caught right on to it. I have not stopped since. Crocheting is my thing!!! :woo

• 3 weeks later...

Archived