Crocheted Cancer Ribbons

Shell Lee

I've thought about making crocheted cancer ribbons several times over the past 3 years (since my grandma was diagnosed with kidney cancer) but I couldn't find any patterns I liked so I put the idea aside. Driving home from work today I saw a vehicle ahead of me that had several of the magnetic ribbons on the trunk and it got me thinking again about crocheted ribbons. I decided to just "wing" it and make my own ribbon. It turned out decent (i thought anyway) so I wrote up the pattern to go with it.

Crocheted Cancer Ribbon:

Materials used: Caron Simply Soft, H, J, or K hook, Yarn Needle (H hook makes a much nicer, tighter looking ribbon).

Skill level: Easy

Chain 31

Row 1: sc in first 12 ch st. 2 sc in each of next 6 ch st. sc in last 12 ch st.

Row 2: ch 1. sc in first 12 st. For the next 12 st - Repeat 2 sc in st, 1 sc in next st. 1 sc in each of remaining 12 st.

Row 3: ch 1. sc in first 12 st. For the next 18 st - Repeat: 2 sc in st, 1 sc in each next 2 st. 1 sc in each of remaining 12 st.

Before fastening off, do a round of slip stitches around the entire strip then fasten off. The round of slip stitches helps the ribbon lay flatter.

Arrange the curved strip into the ribbon shape. Using a yarn needle and piece of yarn, sew the ribbon together where the "legs" cross. Weave in tails.

Please let me know if anything is not clear in the above pattern! Feel free to make as many ribbons as you like for personal use, gifts or for charity. Please do not copy/reproduce this pattern or pictures for your own monetary gain.

© copyright 2011 - Michelle Drenzek

post-44633-135897645457_thumb.jpg

I think there have been a couple posted. Probably under Awareness Ribbons. I designed a similar pattern a couple of years ago and made 100 for a friend of mine who was raising the entrance fee for the Susan Komen Walk. Those are very nice, too. My pattern started with 35 so it was close. :-D

I love it. Thanks for sharing. I have some Caron Simply Soft on hand that I have been using to make chemo caps with. I will have to make at least one in the pink color (even though blue is my favorite color) as I am currently fighting breast cancer. But the really good news is I AM WINNING.

.... I will have to make at least one in the pink color (even though blue is my favorite color) as I am currently fighting breast cancer. But the really good news is I AM WINNING.

:clap:yay:cheer:yay:clap:yay:cheer:yay:clap:yay:cheer:yay:clap:yay:cheer:yay

• 1 month later...

Well done! My Mother has been in remission since having BC in 1996, and I'm in 'the same boat' as I had a mastectomy in 2007. It was being in the chemo-lounge while my mother was being treated, and listening to the 'fight-speech' of the other cancer-fighters, that helped me when I got hit. God Bless.

Archived