jamielynn1985

not understanding part of a pattern

Question

6 answers to this question

you are making a mesh that consists of chain-5 loops. at the end of this row, you are setting yourself up for the next row, by ending it at the top of a loop instead of at the bottom of a loop. the ch2 is the first half of the loop and the dc is the last half of the loop.

aargh, i am so bad at explaining in words, and i cant post a photo! will see if i can find a tutorial or photo of some kind....

well i can't find any photo of this kind of join.

the pattern says "end by joining with ch 2, dc at base of beg ch-5, do not turn (12 ch lps)" Just do exactly what it says. chain 2, then make a dc into the same sttich where your beginning chain5 is anchored. you will see that you have made a loop and your hook is at the top of the loop.

i really hope i've explained it so it makes sense:P

When you are near the end of the round you will do a ch 2 instead of chain 5 (the chain 2 is the first 2 chains of a loop) then dc (into the base of the first of the 12 dc of previous round) which represents the remaining 3 chains. Now you will single crochet into the very first loop of the previous round you made. This leaves you working from the top of a loop and not the bottom. This way you will be working continuously around without ending a round.

Edited by HappyOldCro

ok, got it now. I thought I was supposed to go all the way around doing the ch 5 loops and then do the ch 2 dc thing after completing 12 loops.

Thanks ladies.

ok, got it now. I thought I was supposed to go all the way around doing the ch 5 loops and then do the ch 2 dc thing after completing 12 loops.

Thanks ladies.

You are doing 11 chain 5 loops and the ch 2 dc is your 12th loop.;)

Thanks ladies.

looking at the pattern again, i see what you mean, that is confusing---it says to make the ch5 loops around, then the ch2/dc. would be clearer if it said to make 11 ch5 loops and then the ch2/dc for the 12th.