Amy

IMPORTANT: Giveaway Reminder---All Giveaways Hosts Please Read

A member has let me know that some people hosting giveaways here at Crochetville are requesting that each entrant submit their mailing address.

If you have been using this practice, please stop. The purpose of these giveaways is not to give businesses or anyone an easy way to build a mailing list.

If you are hosting a giveaway here on the forum, there should be NO requirements for a participant to do anything beyond post in the thread and there should be NO requirement for participants to provide any personal contact information to you. Obvious exception: the winner(s) will need to provide mailing or email addresses, depending on whether the prize is a physical or digital item.

Thank you for understanding and respecting this guideline.

I'll be looking through the active giveways to make sure people are not requiring submission of mailing addresses in order to participate. I'll be temporarily closing any giveaways requiring such until I can talk with the host and we can edit the thread to remove that requirement.

Amy

• Like 1

HI Amy:

I'm glad its not me one asking for info...

I wouldnt ask unless they are the person going to recieve the roak or the giveaway.

hugs

Lillibet

Someone else mentioned to me that they thought some people might be requesting mailing addresses from everyone, not to develop a mailing list, but so they can send out the prize to the winner as a "real" surprise.

While I appreciate that sentiment, if that is why people were collecting mailing addresses, we still need to request that the practice be stopped. Personal contact information cannot be collected from Crochetville members without prior approval from either Donna or me, so that we can make sure there are no issues with our published privacy policy. Unauthorized collection of this data could potentially land us in legal hot water, and I'm sure nobody wants to expose us to that kind of risk.

Personally, I think it's just as much a surprise to be announced a winner in a thread as it would be to get a package in the mail. Not to mention, depending on where they live, some people may need to make arrangements in advance to be available to receive a package.

So we'll be very thankful if the only time contact information is requested in a giveaway thread is so that a prize can be sent to the winner.

Thanks for understanding, everyone!

I haven't signed up for several of these because I see no reason to give out my address if I haven't won.

I haven't signed up for several of these because I see no reason to give out my address if I haven't won.

I thought that odd as well, however, if the host is trying for a total surprise, can he or she instead, ask aunt bubbles, or terrilady for the winners addy, then go ahead and mail it, in much the same manner as an RAOK is done, keeping it a surprise, till the winner received said giveaway. It is better in protecting addressee, and the host, I would think, i dunno...I did however think that odd, but probably the host, (ive only come across it once) didn't know it was not allowed.?? Ive never done one that way but having seen it once, thought, oh, you can do that? and if not allowed, certainly don't want those sorts of practices spreading around.

Yes I am one that asked for the addresses without realizing it was not allowed. I for one indeed wanted to do so simply to have it be a surprise and had seen others ask. I have no business so wasn't to collect addresses for that purpose.

Amy has contacted me about this and I have let her know the above. I understand the 'rule' and will abide by it.

kuddles

There are several ways to gain someone's address. Ask AuntBubbles, Terri/LadySorce,or ask a friend to find out are just a couple of the ways I go about it.

If it is to be a surprise, there are several sneeky ways to do it.:devil

If a giveaway winner is participating in the RAOK program, it is fine to contact Janet or Terri to request an address. However, if the giveaway host is not part of the RAOK program, to comply with the RAOK rules, the giveaway host will have to provide their own personal contact information to Janet and Terri. (That rule is in place to help cut down on abuses of the RAOK system.)

I understand wanting to surprise the winners and keep the suspense going for participants of a giveaway, but collecting mailing addresses from everyone is still not a good idea from Crochetville's perspective for many different reasons.

As I was reading back through prior threads, I ran across one instance where there was a problem with a package being sent as a surprise to someone. It's really a good idea to let a winner know that they have a package on the way, so they can be on the lookout for it. Some people may have to make special arrangements for package delivery, and a surprise might not be a good thing for them. Not to mention others may live in an area where an unexpected package that is left outside their home may be at risk for being stolen. That would really ruin the surprise for the recipient!

For those who like the suspense of keeping everyone waiting to see who a package is going to, you can still do that. The winner will know the package is coming to them, but you can just ask the winner to remain quiet until they receive the package, and post only after the package has been received. Then everyone can have the fun of guessing who the lucky winner may be.