Wwhat stitch do you hate the most?

Elvee

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any particular stitch I hate at this point, but I am just awful at counting stitches and trying to keep track on those first few rows. If I have to chain 200+, I have to get out the stitch markers since I lose focus easily!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if I posted here before, but during these last couple days I'm HATING this pattern that involves a lot of 'working into the chain'. To achieve a lacy look it has areas where you do 10 dc then ch 10, keep doing that, then when you come back you do some sc in the dc and dc into the chain... what a pain in the rear. I'm using a specialty yarn, too, so that doesn't help. The yarn is Moda Dea Curious.. sorta like dryer sheets with kite string hanging off of it... the kite strings tend to make lumps and make it difficult to work into the chain...:(

I hate the "long double crochet" where you yarn over and put the hook in a space that may be rows and rows below where you are working then pull up a big loop and finish the stitch. I got this nice book from the library and almost all of the patterns call for that stitch. I was not pleased.:2nono

I also don't like the foundation row - takes forever! I really, really, really dread the first tr after a long chain in thread.

I do NOT like the foundation row.

But what I really can't stand is the shell stitch. I started an afghan last year from the Herrschner's Blue Ribbon Afghans book call Sandy Shells. It's a really beautiful afghan, but dang, those shells are MONOTONOUS.

I haven't looked at that afghan since last October, and it's still only 45% done. Just thinking about it makes me groan.

Definitely anything with 'reverse' in their name!! I just cannot get my hook or hand to work backwards. It's unnatural. Why do you think they call the reverse single crochet a 'crab' stitch afterall? Because it makes you CRABBY!

You know Cheryl, I never thought of it that way. Maybe that's why I'm in the same boat with you! I HATE reverse anything too!

I love all four of the "p's": puff, popcorn, post, and picot. They're my favorites. What I don't love are the things I haven't yet mastered: bullion and tunisian. I need to give bullion a couple more tries, because I like the look; but I'm not too motivated to do tunisian, because what's great about crochet is the variety of textures rather than creating pictures as with Fair Isle knitting. Oh, yeah, I don't care much for filet because I failed miserably with gauge on a beautiful filet dragonfly afghan. Couldn't get square squares, no matter what I tried. One more layer of stress on top of charting -- something I'm not too fond of. What I probably hate the most is super-repetitive sc and dc patterns.

htt://www.picturetrail.com/crokay

The foundation has to be the most painful, its like you spend the most energy on trying to make it right, but its really not part of the beauty of the piece...well except for the fact that its the foundation of the beautiful end product.

Ok...that being said, I don't know anything other than the basics. I'm not sure If I want to learn anything more either. I LOVE the fact that I can crochet and listen to the TV at the same time...I suppose anything more complex would make it difficult to do two things at once.

• 1 month later...
I am Baffled - how can a forum of crochet lovers feel such hatred for so many crochet stitches ? - but such passionate hatred ?

Well there are tons of stitches, that's what I love about crochet... So we can't like everything... well aparently some can, which I think is GREAT.

Popcorn stictches. I hate taking the hook out and putting it back in to complete it. If I can I'll do a puff stitch. Or not do the pattern

Starting chains. That's why I won't do any MAM's that require the 200 ch for the strip.

"Love Knot stitch. No matter what I do it's not like what the directions say." Second that. I can't get that one either and I can do a lot of stiches.

The bullion stitch! It's the only one I can't do so far. It's driving me insane! :thair I tried to do it anyway but it came out looking like a sea monster. :eek A shame too because there was a really cute pumpkin in the 2006 crochet calendar made of bullion stitches. :ohdear

Actually, I hate the slip stitch. :) But my breadth of experience with stitches isn't that wide. Never even heard of postal stitch.

I don't like reverse sc either, I avoid it whenever possible. Also, I don't think this really counts as a "stitch" but I've been working on a lot of hats recently and this is aggravating; starting out ch2, then work all stitches in the first ch. I can never get it to work properly, it just looks (for lack of a better word) "funky".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived