Wwhat stitch do you hate the most?

Elvee

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well this is going to sound really goofy but I can't stand working foundation chains. Maybe because I am still such a beginner. I have to bascially sit in the closet with earmuffs on and REALLY REALLY focus on what I am doing. It is not a good feeling when you are counting along and somebody else decides to count or say any type of numbers and then you have to frog your project before you even get to really work on it. Or what is worse if you miscount your foundation chain and work foundation row and only at the end discover that you are a few too short or you have a few left over. :eek

Elizabeth

Don't feel bad! I've been at it for a looooooooooong time and I still hate that starting chain! :hug

Mare

• 3 months later...

I am finding that I can learn to like a stitch. I used to hate picots, but I was so thrilled to learn to do them better, that now I love them. I do hate the bullion because I can't seem to get it consistently. I'll do 1 good one to 10 bad.

I also do NOT like working into the foundation chain. I am very slow with it. I'll never win any contests for speed, that's for sure. :)

I have to log my vote against working into the foundation chain... so many opportunities to screw it up while just getting started:huh and then frog and try to count again skipping where you're supposed to and if the darn thing comes out with too much left at the end of the chain you can weave it in:reyes but if you're short... back to frogging:shrug .

As for picot, I guess I'm in the minority that LIKES that stitch...

I've not done any reverse crochet.

I'm a self-taught, and even though I've been doing this for a lotta years I tend to avoid something if I don't understand it after about 15 tries:bang and try to find a substitute stitch that I know!

If I see a pattern has fpdc or bpdc, I dont' do it. I can never keep it in my head which one is which. confuses me and makes me feel like I don't know what I'm doing. So, I avoid it at all costs, and then I can still feel superior! :lol

If I see a pattern has fpdc or bpdc, I dont' do it.

I also do not like that stitch either. I once made an afghan which used a ton of those and it took me forever. My blanket was also a lot smaller than it was supposed to be. I'm not sure why. I think I do them wrong or something. Somehow whatever I make that contains those always ends up shrinking heightwise.

bullion stitches....they are horrible...I always have tight tension and I can never get my hook through all the loops that are on the hook....i usually try to substitute another stuch when it says bullion stitches....

I haven't really found any stitches that I absolutely hate yet, I guess that is good. My real question...does anyone else stutter the what every time they read the title of this thread? haha because there are 2 w's I automatically stutter it to myself. :lol

Count me in with those who hate puff stitches. I just did square #17 for the 63 squares afghan this evening and it drove me crazy! I ripped out so many clusters before I just gave up and decided that a little imperfection is okay.

I don't mind the fpdc or the bpdc, though they do get tiresome if you have to do a lot of them. I made hats for my 3 neices and my little sister this Christmas, and I was fairly sick of working the ribbing by the time I was finished with all of them.

i don't hate any stitch as much as i hate weaving in the ends, which is why i avoid any squares, or changing too many colors in a project. i'm not crazy about projects that are all sc or hdc but i would prefer them to too many color changes.

Put me in the picot camp. I've gotten the hang of fpdc and bpdc for the endless numbers of Etaria's men's hat pattern (which, when made with an E or F hook, fewer rows, and soft white slightly fuzzy yarn, is a great little girl's hat as well) but every single pattern seems to have a different idea of what a picot should be. Some of them make sense -- 3 ch and then slip stitch back at the beginning -- and some of them are completely loony and don't look good at all. And they slow me down terribly because I have to painstakingly go back instead of banging forward mindlessly. So boo on picots! (Bullions are also a PITA but since I don't like the way they look, I don't feel compelled to make them.)

--Elissa

• 3 months later...

I am Baffled - how can a forum of crochet lovers feel such hatred for so many crochet stitches ? I dont like the first row into the foundation chain much, and am hopeless at bullions - but such passionate hatred ?

I'm not fond of picot stitches or post stitches and I'd prefer not to crochet into only on loop because I have trouble keeping it neat and not looking stretched out.

• 1 month later...

Archived