Looking for opinions on pricing item

crochet4ever

Question

A not so close friend wanted me to crochet rollerskates for am american girl doll. I crocheted rollerskates for a baby but I had the pattern for that. Makeing the pattern doll size was almost imposible. I really couldn't use the pattern I had. My friend then said she want 4 of them. She is lucky she is getting one pair. Is $10.00 ok? This was very stressfull to make. How much would all of you charge for these dall rollerskates? Hope the picture shoes.

post-16023-135897639512_thumb.jpg

post-16023-135897639516_thumb.jpg

post-16023-135897639519_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

They look great! I would not have even attempted to make them.

As you said - they were difficult and fussy, so I would charge more than $10. They are a specialty item.

Those are adorable and look like sooooo much work! You probably won't get what they are actually worth in your time and frustration but I would ask more than $10

Ive just had to convert the dollars so I know how much in £s it is, and $10 isnt enough in my opinion. You have had to make them from scratch and therefore created a pattern! Its up to you of course but you will definitely be selling yourself short if you dont ask for more! I hope you made good notes in case she wants the other 3 pairs lol!

IMHO...it is MUCH work and time to redesign the pattern (or invent one). And you said a 'not so close friend' who wants these for DOLLS (not her baby or grandbaby)--so perhaps she has a nice budget here! :) Also...if you do a good job and are too reasonable, she might want MORE stuff (for cheap). If it were me, I think that I would establish something that you think is fair for your time and effort and design--more than $10 ! (you can make that in an hour at McDonalds!)

Maybe check out like Ebay for "American Girl" clothing? OK...just looked on ebay--there is a "Lot of 9 American Girl Doll Shoes w/2 sox" and they're bidding like crazy (15 bids already) then if you punch in American Girl Roller Skates--they range from $9 to some for $49-52 per pair!!! (and folks buy this too! ) Im thinking that yours are custom and should be a fair price...if you want to make all the ones she wants then maybe make her a 'package deal?'....good luck and they're so cute.

I could have sworn I had posted on this thread already! Hmmm....

Anyway, if you go to the American Girls online store, Julie's Roller Skates are $16. They include a pair of socks.

I think $10 is a fair price for the skates you made.

For all that time and aggravation - I wouldn't do another pair. Did you write down the pattern so that you can make more?

It amazes me - cheap plastic crap commands a higher $ amount than handmade in this world. (nothing against you ratdog - it's just a 'thing' with me). I would charge her $20 because handmade should cost more than cheap plastic crap and tell her that it's the only pair she's getting.

You should NEVER feel forced into crocheting or making anything if you don't want to. Saying no is hard the first few times but it does get easier with practice.

In the future - set the dollar amount BEFORE you do it. It saves many headaches that way.

Agree with Rose--mostly. Handmade/crafted/invented IS/SHOULD have a higher value!

However, if you had set a price BEFORE you made it--you might have thought it would be easy and made the price too low--seeing all the stress and configuring needed when your really made them. Maybe give her a range? and tell her that it may change due to time involved? She can always go buy the readymade stuff if she wishes!

Good luck...and hope the stress subsides. Crochet is our therapy...not stress! :)

I would charge $20 or more each. Sometimes people have no idea how much time goes into hand made and figure you can just whip it up for them cheap. This is why I do charity work instead of selling stuff as I would want way too much money for stuff since some things are time consuming even if the yarn was cheap. Mary

I would ask at least as much as the mass-produced ones on the American Girl site ($16). I am not good with minature things. For some reason my fingers do not cooperate in the small world -- give me a nice large item and I can whip it out in no time. I love the minatures I see on here & Ravelry -- some have a lot more patience & skill than I do. :) Yours are very nice!

Archived