I'm new and need help reading patterns!

bfs2011

Hello Everyone I'm Brittany from Illinois. I'm almost 22 years old and I seem to be only able to crochet what people have taught me. I've made several potholders and coasters, and right now I'm trying to work on a scarf. After I started the scarf I realized I wasn't following a typical pattern. I crocheted the width of the scarf first and then started crocheting the length. After about a foot of the scarf was made I watched a video where the lady made 176 chain loops and then started the double crochet back. I think I've ruined my chances at adding in another color. But since I'm already started and can't think of anything else to make it into, I might as well finish it with one plain color. I could add in another color but it would be the width, and that wouldn't look normal, would it? I can crochet a border around it, or just down the sides. How do you put the frilly things at the end of it? I've tried to read patterns but I don't understand the abbreviations either. Can someone help me? Thank you! :-)

Hello Brittany:

I think you can add a color - it would look ok.. in fact there are patterns just like you describe where colors are changed a few times in the scarf.... it will be ok. There is a thread here on abbreviations, but if you let us know what they are I am sure someone would help you figure it out...

Angela

Hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

You can add a color, it will make a horizontal stripe. if that's not what you want, go ahead and finish the scarf in one color. for vertical stripes you would need to work lengthwise, not widthwise.

there are lots of patterns for borders and edgings; can you describe what kind of frills you want? or link to a pic of what you want so we can look for something similar?

for reading patterns, i would suggest you look at the book Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti; it really walks you through how to understand and use patterns. http://www.amazon.com/Crocheting-English-Second-Maggie-Righetti/dp/0312353545/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300308290&sr=1-1

here is a quick reference written by Jean L who is a member here http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

if you need help with a specific pattern, you can post a link to the pattern if it is free online. if it is purchased or in a book, give us the info (book title or pattern source, name of specific pattern) and somebody will probably have it to refer to. Either way, you can type a bit of a pattern into a post to get help w/ that portion of the pattern.

One of the best bits of advice I've gotten is that crochet allows you to do things you wouldn't expect. You can stitch a border around all four edges (even at the sides of rows if you position them evenly), you can add fringe to the bottom, you can change yarn, do lacework, etc. Don't feel afraid to just try something! :) If you do get a little stuck go on YouTube. There are many people who have posted educational video that can get you through a tough spot or stitch you don't understand. If all else fails, pop in to a local yarn shop and I'm sure someone can help. Keep at it!

Hi Brittany! I had the same problem you have when I started. What I did was to get crochet books (you can get them out of the library if you wish) and read my way through instructions, checking out the explanations they made for every abbreviation until the language of crochet became so familiar that I understood it perfectly. It like the old shorthand or like the notes in a sheet of music, it's a language all its own and you need to learn it or you will be hampered no end!

About the frilly edging, you can make one of those easy vertical edgings that grow as you go and sew it onto it.

Thanks everyone! I got a side job offer to make 2 pot holders and 4 placemats for a lady for her kitchen. She was strapped for money so I'm selling 6 items to her for $55. Isn't that way to cheap? The pot holders are 8x8's. I haven't started on the placemats yet.

I used to crochet a lot when I was in my 20's. Then came the very busy career and raising a child as a single mother. All else went by the wayside. Now in my 50's I am retired, have psoriatic arthritis and 2 grandchildren. I picked up my hooks again because of the last 2. I need to keep my hands working or they will quit on me. It is so satisfying to see my grandchildren wrapped up in or wearing something I made with love.

I always felt that I was meant to crochet because every attempt at knitting was a disaster. Now I am older with a little more time on my hands (ha-ha). I am determined to learn to knit. I am knitting on looms, but I will learn to knit on needles! I have found Crochetville, I will be looking for a "knitville" too.

I used to crochet a lot when I was in my 20's. Then came the very busy career and raising a child as a single mother. All else went by the wayside. Now in my 50's I am retired, have psoriatic arthritis and 2 grandchildren. I picked up my hooks again because of the last 2. I need to keep my hands working or they will quit on me. It is so satisfying to see my grandchildren wrapped up in or wearing something I made with love.

I always felt that I was meant to crochet because every attempt at knitting was a disaster. Now I am older with a little more time on my hands (ha-ha). I am determined to learn to knit. I am knitting on looms, but I will learn to knit on needles! I have found Crochetville, I will be looking for a "knitville" too.

hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

there are 2 special user groups for knitters here, info on them in this section http://www.crochetville.org/forum/faq.php

Archived