Variegated Yarn

Gege

I've been using Bernat Handicrafter Variegated cotton for a few years now and love how the colours turn out. Whether it be a granny square or mile-a-minute pattern - I've yet to make something, that I wasn't happy with the end result and the result is never the same thing twice.

I get the benefit of multi-coloured items without all the yarn changes and you don't have all the dreaded ends to hide.

Here's a link that shows a few of them ....

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/shonnaboop/blankies/

shonna

No offense meant to those who love it, because these things are so subjective. But in general, I dislike variegated yarn. I do like using it occasionally, as in a "quilt" afghan, where the variegated pieces look a bit like printed fabric. And, used very sparingly in an edging round on an afghan. Mostly, I avoid it because I think the wonderful complex, textural stitch patterns of crocheting get lost in the splotchiness, and because I like to choose the colors I put together rather than having the manufacturer make the selections for me. The one exception, where I used it a lot was for the centers of small granny motifs; they were done in a lovely RH SS color called Star Bright, which I haven't seen in ages.

P.S. I like your description "giant puke stain."

I have to agree that when working the more textured stitches the pattern tends to get lost in the variegated yarns, and when doing those kinds of stitches I prefer solids to show off the work... :)

I really think how varigated is used sometimes you have to break up the many colors with a solid color or colors I have enclosed a picture of three of the thirty six I made last year. I don't think that you lose a pattern because you used a varigated yarn in them. What do you think?

I think variegated yarns look great when worked in patterns like these - and the solids break up the business nicely, so the finished product looks terrific! The only time I think variegated yarns "hide" a pattern stitch is when you're going for a textured look, like post stitches, I think those kind of stitches are a lot more visible in solid yarns. (Love your RR's, by the way!)

Archived