Weekend Granny Throw from Redheart

Daugherty4inNC

Question

Okay I think I have lost my mind. I have played and played with this pattern from Red Heart and I can't get it. Everything from

slip st in next ch – 2

ch-1 spaces. (in Row 1) to here in

Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 3 (counts as dc here and

throughout), work 2 dc in ch-1 space, ch 2, 3 dc in same

space, ch 1, ([3 dc, ch 2] twice, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-1

space, ch 1, 3 dc in first ch-1 space, ch 2, slip st to top of

beginning ch to join.

is just not making sense to me. What am I not understanding. Please help

17 answers to this question

Okay, here are some pictures.

This is after row 1 (I did the chain 3 of the 1st round to show you where I ended). It's hard to see, but the chain 8, sl sts and ch 1 created 2 ch-1 spaces.

post-28827-135897634913_thumb.jpg

This is after round 1 is completed. Hopefully you can see that there are three sets of three dc shells in each ch 1 space from the previous row.

post-28827-135897634918_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for the clarification on this. I thought I was losing my mind. I also could not get past round 1 on this pattern. I must have tried this at least ten times and each time it just did not look right. I think my mind was stuck on how a traditional granny square was started. Thank you so much, nicolep, for the picture and clarification!

I had no problem doing this. While the pattern isn't clear, it is possible to do...you are working down one side around the end then back on the other side..... it makes a rectangle, not a circle. There will be a 3 dc group on each end and 2 groups of 3 dc on each side.

Ok I see. So it's a chain 3 in this spot really? Yeah I use what ever works for my brain and when I tried this one a while ago it didn't but now I see that you gave a visual and hopefully it will help the other person. Thanks so much for your time. Mary

(3 dc, ch 2) twice, ch 1

Ok so 3dc and ch2 twice then you ch 2 again so it's a ch4? Oh geesh I didn't even see it was a rectangle so disregard my other links. I have done this rectangular one and found it so easy. Mary

That one might be easier, but it's an entirely different look than intended for this afghan. This one, the beginning rounds start much smaller than the long chain. It's less rectangle if that makes sense. :lol Certainly if the OP finds your suggested pattern easier to work and gets the desired look, I say, "Go for it!"

Okay, round 1 should read

Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), work 2 dc in ch-1 space, ch 2, 3 dc in same space, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2) twice, ch 1, 3 dc in first ch-1 space, ch 2, slip st to top of beginning ch to join.

Fasten off.

Ok so 3dc and ch2 twice then you ch 2 again so it's a ch4? Oh geesh I didn't even see it was a rectangle so disregard my other links. I have done this rectangular one and found it so easy. Mary

No that is an error in the pattern, sorry about that. I knew what they meant and had it straight in my head. It should read 3 dc then ch 2 for that part.

Edited, let me work it again because something about that seems off. Un momento por favor!

Ok after row 1 though do you turn and go back to start the rounds and what about where there is the ch2 together? I prefer this way or this way to start and do one. Hopefully the poster will get it if you show her. I know once you get past that row 1 and round one it's so easy. I don't know what the reasoning is for start like that as it seems a little harder for people like me. Mary

I know how to do a granny square and have done a granny square afghan before but did you see how the beginning bit is written? I guess after you do the row then you go around to the other side to start the rounds or do you turn and go back to start the rounds? I have never done one that started like this in the center. Mary

The important thing to remember is this isn't a square and cannot be started like a traditional granny square.

I worked it up real quick and while it's a strange way to start, it works as written.

Start by chaining 8 and doing the slip stitches exactly as instructed. Then work on Rnd 1. You're basically going to be putting three groups of 3 dc shells in each ch 1 space from Row 1.

I'll post a picture to show you in just a second.

I know how to do a granny square and have done a granny square afghan before but did you see how the beginning bit is written? I guess after you do the row then you go around to the other side to start the rounds or do you turn and go back to start the rounds? I have never done one that started like this in the center. Mary

Archived