"brainless crochet"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mile-a-minute afghans are my brainless crochet. They turn out so pretty with very little thought....Some may look down on a m-a-m but I love them.

im new to crochet...i bought some mile-a-minute books...havent done one yet...but just curious as to why anyone may look down on that?

is there some crochet controversey im not aware of?...some crochet snobbery?....lol

I would work on a leprosy bandage while my husband was running our roleplaying game on Sundays. Just single crochets across in thread with an E hook. That kinda got pushed aside by my other brainless (once I figured out how to do it correctly, lol) waffle weave crochet baby blankets I'm making. Once you get past the first couple of rows, you really don't have to think too much. Both are good for TV time, but they get a little boring after awhile.

I will do simple dishcloths. I can work and talk to people at the same time because I don't have to count any stiches. I just make them till they look big enough. I also tried simple round coasters this way, but I messed up my increase count and got coasters that curved up like a bowl.:think

im new to crochet...i bought some mile-a-minute books...havent done one yet...but just curious as to why anyone may look down on that?

is there some crochet controversey im not aware of?...some crochet snobbery?....lol

I hope not! I used to knit and wound up quiting most of my online knitting groups because their are so many knitting snobs out there. I kept running into knitters who would only use the real expensive yarn and look down on people who used Red Heart or Patons or Lions, etc.:( I also ran into knitters who would do really complex patterns and look down on those people who did simple things like scarfs in a simple knit or garter stich pattern.:( I hope I don't offend any knitters here. I know they are not all like that, just enough of them to make me no longer enjoy my on-line knitting groups.

In my experience crocheters are a more tolerant group. I haven't run into any crocheters yet who look down on me for using "cheap" yarn or simple patterns.:)

I know this sounds funny, but because I'm working so hard on Christmas presents and all the things for the swaps I'm in, when I need to just "relax" I work on something for me!!! Right now I'm trying to finish a shawl to keep me warm on Sunday's during church (I'm always soooo cold). It's made of motifs that are joined together as you stitch them. I'm about 2/3rd of the way done and even though I need to glance at the pattern every now and then, it's relaxing to know I'm finishing something that is for me!!!

I'm not really to the point where I can mindlesslly hum along...if I don't pay some attention I screw up pretty good...the closest thing I have to brainless crochet is probably when I'm doing a hat now, since hats are the only thing I've yet to complete lol

Robin

I make up blankets for the local animal shelter. I usually use these as a way to test out a new stitch -- as long as it is not too open. After a couple rows, I am good and just go at it.

It also help cement a stitch in my head. I just did one out of the dreaded yellow yarn (flea market find!) and I tried the pineapple stitch.

I now hate the pineapple stitch.

I use Red Heart yarn and start a granny square. Just keep going until you have

one large granny square/ square laprobe. Great for tv watching, and the square grows on your lap. If you start one now, it will grow large enough to keep you warm by the time cool weather arrives. My ACmoores has red heart super saver yarn on sale this week. ($1.54)

Susan

Mine usually involve single crochets. But any pattern that has lots and lots of rows that don't involve more than 3 changes I can settle down into. I like when it's easy enough to sit and listen to an audio book or watch tv and not end up totally screwing up my pattern 10 rows back...lol.

I haven't run into any crocheters yet who look down on me for using "cheap" yarn or simple patterns.:)

I should say not! Some of my most favoritest (is that a word?) finished projects have been the ones with the simplest stitches. My current favorite is dc-sc-dc-sc in the back loop. Makes up the best rugs cause it is nubbly.

I use mostly "found" yarn -- stuff at flea markets, yard sales, thrift stores. The found stuff suggests its own projects. I even use the awful neon pinks and drab yellows. Mixed together in a rug or held together for a pet blanket helps the colors come out right.

• 2 weeks later...

Brainless crocheting...hmmmm...I'd say a scarf or afghan in v stitch of something with half doubles, alternating with single crochet...or the pet afghan (that I've dubbed 'kittyghan') from Lion Brand website. Something like that.

Grannies! I used to hate grannies, thinking they were...I dunno, nerdy or something. My own Granny had a dozen different granny patterns she did - squares, circles, hexagons, etc. I didn't understand why she loved them so until I started toting my work along everywhere. Granny squares/circles/whatever are so portable, so forgiving. They're a great way to use up extra yarn, be creative with color combos, and you can make anything out of them. Definitely easy and brainless, something I can do while watching my kids play whatever sport they're in.

• 2 weeks later...

I live for 'brainless crochet' :clap If I feel like I need a break from counting stitches, I either to a V stitch or work on granny squares. I've done the mondo huge granny square lapghans by the score and gave them away to friends, also, just making a couple bags full of smaller grannies to put together at a later time. Right now, my 'brainless' project is a V stitch afghan that I'm making out of scraps.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am making curtains for my bedroom....very simple pattern! Just two double crochets....skip two stitches while doing two chain stitches and do two double crochets again, in the following row I work the two double crochets over the two chain stitches so I get a checkerboard pattern where the sunlight should dapple very nicely on the wall whan I am through!....Just row after row of this...I find this "mindless crochet" very relaxing...a great destresser!

• 2 months later...

Archived