"brainless crochet"

From time to time I find the need to do some "brainless" crochet. I think you all know what I mean. No pattern to follow, comfortable yarn and pace, can be done while watching Tv, carrying a conversation, etc.

When I feel like that, I may pull out some cotton yarn, make another magic square hotpad (done in rounds, sc), or work on a corner start shawl, make a simple scarf.

What is your relaxing stitch or pattern?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still a beginner, or maybe an advanced beginner now, and there's not much I can do that is completely "brainless" yet. About the only thing I can do easily with little or no concentration is a basic scarf in a simple stitch, such as single or double crochet. Or anything done the same way. Stitch across the row, chain, turn. That I can do "brainless."

When I'm not working on dishcloths or squares for my swaps, I am doing an afghan for Pine Ridge in straight rows of Half double, 3 strands, Q hook. All I have to do is count the stitches at the end of every row or two. Perfect for times like right now, when I'm stuck at work but can't keep my eyes open.

Kathy

When I need to do 'relaxing' crochet, I just pick up my hook & yarn & go to town. For example, after I finished my doily for the doily swap, I needed to make a few fun things, and wahlah, I came up with the Sunglass/Eyeglass Visor and the Lil' Buns snoods. Both are posted on the board. I also have a book I keep handy for when I get inspirations. When I get an inspiration, I sketch it out in my book (the pages are gridded). I make short notes on my idea of what hook I might use, what yarn, etc. Then when I need a 'relaxing' crochet moment, I look through my book and usually pick one to work on. Relaxing to me is creating something new. My next project which is already in my brain will be great.

I keep 2 skeins of Red Heart yarn next to my bed for when I can't sleep at night, or I just need something simple to do. I use a Q hook, two strands of yarn and single crochet. These make great baby blankets or lap afghans for Project Linus.

Best thing is, no counting!

From time to time I find the need to do some "brainless" crochet. I think you all know what I mean. No pattern to follow, comfortable yarn and pace, can be done while watching Tv, carrying a conversation, etc.

When I feel like that, I may pull out some cotton yarn, make another magic square hotpad (done in rounds, sc), or work on a corner start shawl, make a simple scarf.

What is your relaxing stitch or pattern?

I have been crocheting drawstring totes. The beginning is not brainless as the pattern calls for a round circle as the foundation and I have to keep counting to make sure it works out correctly. But once it is time to just crochet the rest of the tote, I don't have to think about it too much. As long as everything lines up correctly, I don't have to keep count of the half double crochet stitches. I'm an advanced beginner, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I get a largish hook (K or bigger) and 2 strands of contrasting color and go to town on an afghan with a diagonal (sp? cant spell!) stitch, which I actually learned as a 'triangle' stitch

I love it, no real counting involved, works quickly, and ironically, these blankets are the ones people love the most!

Its really nice to do when I am watching TV or listing to Talk Radio or something :hook

~Chicki

Lately I've discovered that for me seed stitch is good for that, long as I don't have to count stitches/rows much. I'm making a scarf in seed stitch right now and it's working up really fast and easy, practically don't even have to look at it.

I'm still a beginner, or maybe an advanced beginner now, and there's not much I can do that is completely "brainless" yet. About the only thing I can do easily with little or no concentration is a basic scarf in a simple stitch, such as single or double crochet. Or anything done the same way. Stitch across the row, chain, turn. That I can do "brainless."

Me too.

Lately I've discovered that for me seed stitch is good for that, long as I don't have to count stitches/rows much. I'm making a scarf in seed stitch right now and it's working up really fast and easy, practically don't even have to look at it.

I like the seed stitch and also its sister the open stitch. (sc is stitched into sc of the previous row, ch1 goes above ch1 of prev. row) Both make very attractive textures.

I always have that "mindless project" for days that I"m just to brain dead to think.... I just finihsed up a baby blanket for my aunt who's expecting... Now I'm making a cover for the heating pad.... It's a little differnt. My normal brainless project is some kinda of simple patterned afghan... But the heating pad cover, I am doing in rounds, so I don't even have to flip it.. I just keep going... One less thing to think about....

I just made a bag to hold doggie poo bags in. I am in the middle of making my mother in law a new shawl because she didn't like the last one I made for her. Now I don't even want to work on it because I spent soo much time making the other one. She made me sooo mad. Everyone else likes the first one. So I sat down with my bag of scraps and made a dogging poo bag holder.

Trying to find a home for one nurotic mother in law..... any takers?

Guest Crafterlady46

The most brainless things for me to crochet are roses. Over and over and over. I made 48 on the flight to Fl and back. (God awful hot down there, don't know how they take it.) I was crocheting with my eyes closed. They are the simplest things to make. Now what to do with them.... :lol:hook:hook:D

I made 48 on the flight to Fl and back. (God awful hot down there, don't know how they take it.)

i just moved last year to NY prior to that I lived all my life in FL. AC is the way to go. you go from ac house to ac car to ac office... ect... true foridians are the whitest people often times. when I moved to NY all my husbands relatives who lived here laughed because they all had better tans than me. I love the weather hre. So much better than FL.

• 4 weeks later...

When I need to crochet brainlessly, I just work on my own personal blanket. I don't want anything intricate, so it's nothing but sc's straight across.

Too bad I still have about 13 skeins to go through before I finish it. :/

Archived