I love this pattern and have had it on my to-do list for a long time.]

Well, I have finished the hexagons and sewn them together and now

am working on the sole. They are made extra thick by crocheting

together two rows together at the same time. I have seen this

technique used in potholders before and it makes a lovely thick

cushy fabric.

My concern is, that after crocheting the sole, the pattern says to

single crochet around the perimeter of the sole. The sole is so

thick and solid that I don't know how I will be able to do this.

I have about an inch and a half of the sole done, it is very tedious, and

do not want to finish only to find I cannot crochet into the perimeter, so

may have to re-think and come up with another sole pattern.

Just wondering if any of you have made these and if this was a problem or not? I read through the 9 pages of projects on Ravelry, and no one mentioned this as being a problem, so maybe I am just over-thinking it, I tend to do that.

Thoughts, anyone? :hook

5 answers to this question

This link might work better http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Wearables/Hexagon%20Boot%20Slippers.pdf

I'm a Ravelry member but I couldn't view it, maybe because it was in YOUR library? Not sure how that works.

I've not made that slipper pattern, but have done that stitch...don't have a sample handy though...and too lazy to make a swatch as I know that stitch IS slow going but is a brilliant idea for a slipper sole...

Would it be possible to be unconventional about how you insert the hook into the side of the stitch, in other words pick 2 (consistent) loops at the side of the sole stitch to put your hook under to make the border stitch? I think it would be neater, and easier going, than trying to make a stitch around the whole fat sole stitch.

This link might work better http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Wearables/Hexagon%20Boot%20Slippers.pdf

I'm a Ravelry member but I couldn't view it, maybe because it was in YOUR library? Not sure how that works.

I've not made that slipper pattern, but have done that stitch...don't have a sample handy though...and too lazy to make a swatch as I know that stitch IS slow going but is a brilliant idea for a slipper sole...

Would it be possible to be unconventional about how you insert the hook into the side of the stitch, in other words pick 2 (consistent) loops at the side of the sole stitch to put your hook under to make the border stitch? I think it would be neater, and easier going, than trying to make a stitch around the whole fat sole stitch.

I belong to ravelry and link worked fine, make sure you are logged in to view. Can't help with the pattern. Mary

Thank you all for your replies, some good suggestions here.

What I have done is, to start over and am using a size larger hook for

the sole than I did for the boot part. The sole is still pretty solid, but I

am able to get the smaller crochet hook into it to crochet on the edging.

If that doesn't work, I am going to just whipstitch it together with a needle.

I still can't really comprehend how this sole is going to work with the boot, but I'm just going to "trust the pattern" as someone said on Ravelry. There are 9 pages of projects and most of them look pretty good, plus it was written by a top-notch designer.

If all else fails, I'll just crochet another type of sole and attach that.

Thanks all for your help. :hook

Archived