FINISHED - I have lost my ever loving mind! over a bedspread...

chillrr

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have a girlfriend at work and one at church who have both offered to help out with motif's.....The one started on Thursday and the other one is starting this week (I am giving her the supplies today).....this just might get done before the wedding - whoo hooo!

Carol, I agree with the others. Keep crocheting the motifs and maybe turn it into a table cloth. Another thing instead of giving her 1 motif on her special day make her a mini piece with 9 together so she can see how it looks with a couple put together and say a surprise one is on the way later. Its a Beautiful Pattern. Your doing a great job :hookcrocheting :crocheting it and remember lets not think about the number 400 lets just think about on the motif now and 1 at a time before you know it, it will get bigger as you go. As far as blocking it? I would put a plastic table cloth over a big table and fold it over in half, and stretch it to your liking. OR if you have a clothes line ========= see the 2 bars that is suppose to be 2 clothes line sorta side by side, so you have 2 lines to hang up clothes on. I would take the lightly starch bedspread and drape it over both lines ,but spread the middle part out a bit so you can stand in the middle of it like shade. That way the inside can get air. And with it spread out the spread don't touch each other meaning it can dry faster. I hope I am making since. I have yet ever blocked anything that big. I will someday cause once we get moved a settled I am making 2 for our home.

That is beautifull. It will look georgous when it is done. I think your daughter will love it no matter when she gets it. Ive seen that pattern too. Always wanted to make a thread spread. :manyheart

New monkey wrench - we have started the process of getting the house ready to sell (planning a move to FL when it sells)...so in addition to trying to work on this spread - I get to pack and paint and clean and do some cosmetic things - LOL - God certainly has a sense of humor - she just might get a dresser runner as a precursor before she gets that spread :) Kinda funny

I sooooo love my DH! :manyheart even when he gives me unwarranted heart attacks!

I was tracking on that handy diagram he made me and noticed that each "grouping" had 8 motifs around a center one and the actual bedspread has 6 motifs around a center.....he got over zealous! :lol

He redrew it for me last night and we took what I have finished and spread it out on the bed and figured out what we needed to do...and I have 1/3 of the spread finished and only about 170-ish motifs left to do (I completed 80). :clap That is much easier to manage! 2.5 a day for the next 45 days works for me...considering that I definitely wasn't making the 5.5 a day!

Whew....this just might happen after all ;)

I just stumbled onto this thread and first let me say that is one beautiful spread.

I do believe that they will love and cherish it very much. I still have the queen size spread and the large table cover (that I use for May), my Mom made me. She had made us girls each a table cover and queen size bed spread one year. That is 3 of each. They are the most treasured and loved gifts we have.

I am glad you may get this done for the wedding, but I am sure if you don't it will be cherished when you do give it to her.:hook

I am driving from Albuquerque to Lincoln on Thursday and back on Monday (well DH is doing the driving), so I will have plenty of time to sit and stitch and work in ends :) Things are just plugging away - I will get a new photo posted soon.

Thank you for all the encouragement - it really helps :)

This is just lovely, what a beautiful pattern, I've never seen it before.

I too am faltering, am making a tablecloth for a wedding gift next September, it is a little boring, making the same pattern over and over, but seeing yours has given me encouragement.

I see why you want to create something special, anyone who has ever crocheted a gift knows that whilst working on it, a great deal of time is spent thinking of that person. A little like a prayer shawl maybe,

Tas

Wow - what an awesome gift!! :) She'll love it no matter when she gets it, I promise! I have to agree with a couple others' ideas - a few motifs, perhaps a photo of the progress you've made, and a note of how many more are to come... and I love the idea of having matching "coasters" to something that gorgeous!!!

MaryPat - you've no idea how happy I am to hear that!!! So I should be able to wash it and let it air dry and be fine....?

:)

I wouldn't let the weight of it pull it while it's wet; that might "block" it accidentally into a skewed shape. I have a tablecloth of 600 motifs that I did in 1973. When I wash it on the gentle cycle, I then dry it on really really low heat along with 6 already dry hand towels. When it's nearly dry, I lay it out straight until it's completely dry.

• 1 month later...

Ok, ladies, it didn't happen. I'm ok with it. My DD knows that the 'gift' is not completed. I am about half-way (see images below).

Shortly after beginning this project, we put had to start getting our home ready to put up for sale. And, as a result, I didn't touch the bedspread for about 2.5 weeks :( ah, well, such is life. The house is about 2 more weeks from going on the market (we have a 15 hour drive to get to and from the wedding this weekend and the 'baby' is graduating from high school next weekend), so, we have very little time to finish up the last bits before we can put the house up.

I am guessing I will have plenty of time to work on this gift after the house is on the market....and my stress level will be significantly less. :yes

Thanks for keeping me motivated and encouraged, at least I am in a positive place about this whole thing - in part because of you all, so thanks :)

post-42009-135897656952_thumb.jpg

post-42009-135897656955_thumb.jpg

post-42009-135897656959_thumb.jpg

I love the bed spread so far...it will be A-mazing. I think you should stick with it. Once you get in the right mind set it will go smoothly and faster than you think. Of course i'm one who keeps part of my yarn and needles by my bed so I can make a few pieces before I retire for the night. You could possibly keep some of your materials beside you bed and make some pieces for the spread and attach them of the morn. just an idea...lol my brother is getting married this fri. lol fri 13th lol what a day

Carol, it's looking magnificent! What a fabulous gift this will be! It's too bad that "life" had to interfere with your crochet plans but there is not a single one of us who hasn't had that happen. After all the craziness passes you can settle down to work at it steadily.

jeez that looks good! Must search back through the thread for the pattern source.

It has given me encouragement, pretty peeved today, one of the squares of my wedding gift tablecloth: had to rip it back at least 6 times, just lost a bit of enthusiasm I suppose, but you keep me going on!

God Bless

tas:devil

Archived