FINISHED - I have lost my ever loving mind! over a bedspread...

chillrr

SEPT 2011 - FINISHED!! SEE PAGE 8 FOR THE FINISHED PRODUCT - THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT - IT HELPED!

First true adventure into thread (minus a few snowflakes that I don't think really count). I can whip out a blanket like there is no tomorrow, but thread seems to take me longer....

I have decided to make a queen-sized bedspread for my daughter's wedding in May. I have been stitching for a few weeks now and have about 50 motifs done and joined (they join on the last round). The motifs are about 5 inches wide. I have determined that it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to complete one motif (of true stitching time), so I can manage about 2-3 motifs a day.

My DH decided to be helpful and figure out how many motifs I need to do to complete the project. I am working on a pattern from Magic Crochet's December 1997 - Number 111 issue...page 26 is the Dreams Defined bedspread. It does not tell you how many motifs to do, it just gives you the basics of the pattern.

Well, hubby decided that I needed over 400 more motifs to complete the project. With that he decided that in order to get it done before the wedding and give me time to block and whatnot (I don't EVEN want to go there yet...how on earth do you block something queen-sized?!, but that's another thread...)...I need to do 5.5 motifs per day for the next 70 days :eek (that was on Tuesday he figured this out). Since then I have completed 6 motifs...lol....about 2.5-3 per day.

Can you say PANIC!!! I can barely get myself through 3 a day! LOL - nothing like biting off more than you can chew. I suppose it's ok to give her the wedding present sometime before the first anniversary, right? I was so hoping to have it done before the big day. Any ideas how I can make this go faster? :think I am totaly that person that starts something new and does it BIG right out of the gate - forget that easy stuff....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, hubby needs a hobby, nothing like bursting your balloon huh! :eek:eek:eek (:rofl

Perserverance rules, stick with it, or hey, employ some help, a local crochet club, or some friends that are willing to help you out! The worst case senario, is not getting it done on time, so what if it's later, she will be utterly thrilled when she does receive it, knowing how much care love and time you put in on it! I admire your determination, and tenacity in taking on such a wonderful project for dear daughter!

It is the thought that counts and this is some intensive crochet time here. I remember once when I was making an Aran fisherman type afghan, hubby figured out I needed like 10,000 more stitches. Good grief! Talk about busting your bubble!

:lol

I'm with homekeeping Gran here - change your plans, whip out an afghan and give them the bedspread for their 1st anniversary.

You really don't want to weave panic and 'I'm forcing myself thru this' into something they'll sleep under every night, do you? (Same concept as prayer shawls)

If your heart is really set on making this bedspread, then you should. You probably got bored of making the same motif over and over again. You have plenty of time, try doing something different in between motifs. If you are making 2 to 3 a day, there might be days that you make 5 or 6. Better yet, if hubby really wants to be helpful, have him do the cooking and cleaning once in a while. Then you can tell your daughter that it was a team effort and that her dad helped with the bedspread. Think of the stories you can tell your grandchildren, how the bedspread came about. I am really thinking ahead now, I'm just trying to motivate you, did it work. I would love to see what you have made so far, can you please post a pic. Good luck.

Hediye

Pictures of the progress so far is attached. I have also attached the diagram hubby made....and he marks off my progress with a sharpie....gotta love him! He has started making dinner most nights to give me time to work on the blanket - he doesn't clean, but he is trying to help in his own way ;)

I wish I had a group, but I dont'....I teach my small group of friends and they all think I am crazy...I did think about employing help, but I just don't know who to employ.

I like your idea cat....I figure I will plug away at it and if I am no where near completion when the time comes, I will give her one or maybe a handful to use as coasters and let her know there are more coming.

My daughter and her fiance have both already received blankets from me this last year for their birthdays. All my kids have blankets, this one is a little different tho. I'll give you a piece of the story - I gave up a baby girl when I was 16....26 years later, on my birthday, I received a letter from the adoption agency that 'a relative of mine' with her birthday was looking for me.....after many letters and phone calls, 9 months later, on her birthday, we met for the first time in person...and spent the weekend together. She is a truly amazing woman and I so want this to be a very special gift....I know it will be.....I just like to give myself impossible deadlines...lol!

Panic is a state of mind, right, and I really just need to adjust my state of mind - do what I can do. I do pray over the motifs, as I do with the baby blankets I make, so I understand your sentiment Rose, I will have to be diligent about the prayers instead of panic.

Hediye, you are right, I get terribly bored with making the same motif over and over, one reason I try to steer clear of granny-square type blankets...lol...and yet everything I thought of making for this child has involved motifs....go figure.

Well, I am off to start a load of laundry and get to work on some motifs. I hope you like the photos - I will post on progress....I keep thinking that maybe hubby was wrong :hook

post-42009-135897632701_thumb.jpg

post-42009-135897632704_thumb.jpg

post-42009-135897632706_thumb.jpg

Your bed spread will be stunning! How gorgeous is that? I also think you should try to do it with love and not rush through it. She will adore it even if it is a bit late.

I loved your story and am so happy for you that your daughter is back in your life. Life takes us through some strange journeys sometimes, doesn't it?

Best wishes!!!

:hug

I am sure there are plenty of ladies on here that would make some motifs for you, but it wouldn't be the same as coming from you. If that makes any sense?!!!!

Last year I was under a time crunch with weddings, babies, etc. I had so many things going at once! A friend of mine offered to work in all my ends for me. Now that is a true friend!!!!

I didn't have her do it, I like working in ends, actually. I find it relaxing. But I LOVED that she offered!!

You bed spread will be a work of art that will be treasured over generations so take a deep breath, do what you can do and don't stress out and make it a hated project. You are making it with love and all you thoughts and feelings are going in to that as well.

If I can help in any way let me know. We are here for you!

:hug

Wow!!! That is really beautiful, right now you are a bit overwhelmed. Once you have the pattern memorized it will go faster, as RoseRed said you will start doing them in your sleep. Keep us posted with your progress we are rooting for you. Thank you for sharing your story.

Hediye

Thank you all for your encouragement! I do have the motif memorized (that happened after the fourth or fifth one ;) )

I have been messing with holding the thread differently - relaxing my grip so my hand doesn't get so tired - hard for me to do with thread. I have done 2.5 so far this morning - taking a break, watched "Secretariat" while doing it...now I need to find another movie for this afternoon (hubby works on Saturday's so it makes it a little easier).

I know that I would have been absolutely stunned had my mother or even my grandmother given me such a gift - and yet, I worry that the generation my daughter is in, just doesn't appreciate such a thing - I know that's not the case, as least with this daughter, she absolutely loves the blanket I gave her in October - but that is a worry - has anyone found the 'younger' generation not as appreciative?

Yes and no but mostly no. I know DDs friends have all been amazed and surprised but they've also seen me working on assorted stuff and do realize the work that goes into it.

The 'younger' people that I've come across are more amazed that people are still doing handwork and how rare it is to come across.

I've found more so that people that just don't appreciate things are the ones that really don't appreciate handwork.

It's wonderful that you realized your tension and hook holding need work. Once you find the 'sweet spot' you'll be whipping them out in no time.

It's beautiful and will be absolutely stunning when it's finished. :rose

Does you daughter know how to crochet or knit? I ask because if she does then she could appreciate how much work goes into make a thread bedspread and would be more than willing to wait for you to complete it.

Delurking to encourage you to keep going! What you've done so far is absolutely beautiful. And giving her a sample and maybe making it a first-anniversary gift is a great idea! Don't stress yourself out over it--you want to give this gift with love, not remember it with aggravation.

I am in awe at your endevor and wish you the best to get it done for your daughters wedding. Have you thought about changing it to a table cloth? Sorry, I'd rather have a few coasters and wait myself for the bedspread!! So keep on plugging, you can do it!!! And they will adore it! It will be an heirloom!!

Carol, this is going to be one splendid bedspread! It is absolutely gorgeous. And with your touching story added I can see why you want so much to get it done. Do what you can on it, and I suspect she will love you for every stitch whether it is officially finished or not!

Archived