Finally started My own site and etsy!

So ladies, finally I did it. I started my own etsy shop and even opened a site.

I was just selling on ebay but wanted to do more. I have only sold a few things on ebay so far, and nothing on etsy. But I'm keeping my head up!

I love doing this and just wont stop because im not selling anything.

please take a look at my site and etsy and let me know if there is anything I need to do. Also any advice on bringing in potential customers?

http://www.danasdarlingdesigns.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DanasDarlingDesign?ref=seller_info

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that finished items don't really sell well on Etsy because it's mostly hand crafters looking there. I only sell patterns so I have no experience with it.

Your stuff is adorable tho!

I've had moderate success with finished items on Etsy. I focus on patterns because we live full-time on the road and I don't have room to store inventory, but during October-November I do list finished items and last year was totally and completely swamped.

Depending on what you sell, you need to find some way to be a little unique from all the other sellers. And that doesn't have to be price point. :-)

Thanks ladies!

I really enjoy making all the newborn hats and props. It's so much fun and everything is too cute. I have yet to sell anything on etsy but I havent really added a whole there yet. I still have alot of things I have made that I have not put up. but hopefully in time the whole etsy shop will work out :)

I have nooo clue how to write or design a pattern so I cannot do those.

Maybe one day though!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have a lot of cute designs, but I have to tell you, that fake baby is indescribably creepy to me. It looks sick, or maybe dead.

I would just display your items without the baby prop.

It's just my reaction, so take it for what its worth, but its a very strong one. Your pictures gave me shudders. I'm not trying to be mean, I really thought you should know, because your designs are cute and skillfully made.

I wish you luck.

I think you have a lot of cute designs, but I have to tell you, that fake baby is indescribably creepy to me. It looks sick, or maybe dead.

I would just display your items without the baby prop.

It's just my reaction, so take it for what its worth, but its a very strong one. Your pictures gave me shudders. I'm not trying to be mean, I really thought you should know, because your designs are cute and skillfully made.

I wish you luck.

Hmmm, maybe I'm just used to seeing dolls used for models, but the baby didn't strike me that way. Except for the hanging pouch one - I'd maybe keep working on that one.

The reality is that items sell better when they are modeled - I'm slowly getting most of my designs modeled by a real baby, and it just makes a world of difference! Maybe there is a local photographer you could trade with - give them a sample item and they give you photos to use?

You'll see offers like this from time to time on the Etsy boards, but you have to be careful. I've had good luck and bad luck doing it that way. Now I don't send a sample unless the photographer pays me for it. WHEN I receive usable pictures, then I refund 50% of the cost. But if you found someone local it might be better.

Good luck - I love the little elephant hat!!!

Thanks for the advice ladies :)

I actually have sent props to a photographer who is supposed to supply me with photos. Sooo hopefully I will be getting some soon :) I also have another person wanting to trade props for pics. So hopefully in time I can have some real babies model my things. I know the babydoll thing isn't anywhere near the real thing, but its all I got lol.

And about the stork pod....I definitely agree...I need to redo those pics.

I just have my fingers crossed that I get some professional photos soon.

Thanks for the advice ladies :)

I actually have sent props to a photographer who is supposed to supply me with photos. Sooo hopefully I will be getting some soon :) I also have another person wanting to trade props for pics. So hopefully in time I can have some real babies model my things. I know the babydoll thing isn't anywhere near the real thing, but its all I got lol.

And about the stork pod....I definitely agree...I need to redo those pics.

I just have my fingers crossed that I get some professional photos soon.

Have you heard of Ellie Bean Models? This is her facebook page - www.facebook.com/pages/Ellie-Bean-Models You can sign up for free as a boutique and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. You basically trade props for photos with their clients - I have never heard one bad thing said about any of the photos provided - and they have a turn around time of 1 week. It's just a really great way to get your items modeled.

Something to consider. :-)

Have you heard of Ellie Bean Models? This is her facebook page - www.facebook.com/pages/Ellie-Bean-Models You can sign up for free as a boutique and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. You basically trade props for photos with their clients - I have never heard one bad thing said about any of the photos provided - and they have a turn around time of 1 week. It's just a really great way to get your items modeled.

Something to consider. :-)

Pam, thank you so very much for providing me with this link. I'm definitely going to check them out. Thank you so very much!

• 3 weeks later...

Your hats are adorable. Unfortunately, the site is flooded with alot of knit and crocheted hats. Don't give up though, I almost did. If I would have given up, I would have missed out on the over 1,800 sales I have done! I have been on Etsy since Feb of 2006. My daughter was 13 at the time and started her own shop last year and is almost up to 1,000 sales. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me at my shop, I am on there 24/7 =0

• 1 month later...

Thanks ladies!

I finally got some great photos and redid my banner. So it's looking so much better now :) And I finally got some sales, yay! I'm definitely not giving up. It's very hard to stand out, but patience pays!

Archived