"Color Me Happy" Along

peachykeencrochet

I think the black will definitely help the colors pop. I'll probably do the same, but right now all my black yarn is reserved for dad-in-laws blanket. Just picked up 3 more skeins to work on his more (his is in harley colors).

Not sure how I'll do waiting each month for new colors! I may have to do several each month of the colors, then I'll have LOTS to work with at the end of the year!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, thats me too...all my black has been designated for the WIPs i got going....so....that can only mean i have to go yarn shopping soon!! I wanna try the new RHSS in the soft that walmart has just gotten in. I think the WM where I am is having trouble keeping the colors in stock - a lady was complaining that she would have to drive 20 miles to the next WM so she can finish her project.. I think it comes in a 14oz skein, so i think that would be plenty to put a single row border around each of 12 squares and have enough to join them all. I felt the yarn that was there, and it feels much like the Hobby Lobby ILTY.

I like the way black makes things pop...but i really don't like working with such a dark color - hard to see unless there is good light.

ok, as promised. Here they are. January and February's squares! This was fun, tomorrow is March 1st! more colors!

[ATTACH]35713[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35716[/ATTACH]

Ok, the first one is the orange, and pink, with a touch of silver, it's in there, I promise, ha ha. The second, is yellow, green, and purple, and the green is simply a darker green, which looks black, but it's not.

I reserved and inch or so, for the border color that I will edge them in, which I haven't decided yet, and probably won't till I have them all in front of me! I have done so many with black, maybe something else this time, im not sure! Ok, thanks for looking!

I got 1 square done last night...i did just regular grannies...center is 2 rows orange, then 2 rows gray (for silver) and 2 rows lilac. It is 9", so it leaves me enough for 1 row of black as a border for each square. I will work on the 2nd one tonight, and take pics.

March colors yet??

HI, everyone seems to be so enjoying this cal, it was such a refreshingly different idea, lol least to me! I love the sqaures so far, this am, made a "companion" square, in yellow, orange and green, that will fill in where needed when that all important time comes! Will make several more as I like to have Variety to chose from when I put them in a design! anyway, thanks for the cal, and everyone so far, the pics I have seen, the sqaures are turning out sooo cute, and so very different!

Why am I not surprised to see you here Ladibug?? :lol

I daren't start anything else so I'll be lurking and drooling over the colourful creations :lurk

hmmmm Kookie, I haven't a clue??? :rofl

honestly though, i couldn't resist....i've been wanting to do a granny square afghan for quite a long time, and this gives me just 1 square to make a month. And in a whole year i will have enough squares to make an afghan. And each square will be different colors.

I saw this thread start, didn't even peek in, and then read shell lee's blog about it, then just couldn't hold back any more...i had to peek in. Now I've made my first square, gonna do the 2nd one tonight, and waiting on colors for the 3rd one. I'm not doing complicating squares so it will only be about a half hour a month to make 1 square.....(see, i've already reasoned it out in my head so i don't make my wip's feel neglected) :devil

My "Companion Square" to fill in where needed when the time comes! I will be making more companion sqaures Im sure! This one turned out well, sometimes, my fingers just take over, lol. So far though, no problem keeping them all the same size! That's why I love grannies! I never trust squaures to be square, unless they're grannies!

[ATTACH]35750[/ATTACH]

My "Companion Square" to fill in where needed when the time comes! I will be making more companion sqaures Im sure! This one turned out well, sometimes, my fingers just take over, lol. So far though, no problem keeping them all the same size! That's why I love grannies! I never trust squaures to be square, unless they're grannies!

[ATTACH]35750[/ATTACH]

That is gorgeous! I'm sorry to say that even tho I said I wanted to do this, I haven't even begun yet! :blush This may have to remain on the back burner for me right now as I have too much going on...hope y'all don't mind if I pop in to visit?

That is gorgeous! I'm sorry to say that even tho I said I wanted to do this, I haven't even begun yet! :blush This may have to remain on the back burner for me right now as I have too much going on...hope y'all don't mind if I pop in to visit?

Stop in and visit anytime! And since they are just 1 square a month, it shouldn't be hard at all to catch up once you have the time :)

I can't keep away but before I commit myself to the CAL I want to ask questions or a question at least :)

I'm not in a position to buy new yarn in the foreseeable future,all yarn "shopping" has to be done in my stash corner so if I don't have the correct colours each time am I still allowed to play? I know for a fact that I have no silver/grey

I have a silly question, is it allowable to use two shades in the same sqaure of assigned color or colors. In other words, could I use a light yellow center, and darker yellow row,and then a green, and maybe a lime green?? Is it acceptable to mix the shades??

I have a silly question, is it allowable to use two shades in the same sqaure of assigned color or colors. In other words, could I use a light yellow center, and darker yellow row,and then a green, and maybe a lime green?? Is it acceptable to mix the shades??

i think you can use any shade in that color family, as long as you use the 3 colors on the list.

i.e. green can be anything from a very soft minty green to a very deep dark forest green. Blue can be a pretty periwinkle or a navy. etc.

So you could do a row of light yellow, then a dark yellow, then a light green, then a dark green, then a row of whatever your 3rd color is, then a darker/lighter shade of that 3rd color. (or whatever variation of this, dark before light, medium mixed in, whatever)

kookaloo_starr I can't keep away but before I commit myself to the CAL I want to ask questions or a question at least :)

I'm not in a position to buy new yarn in the foreseeable future,all yarn "shopping" has to be done in my stash corner so if I don't have the correct colours each time am I still allowed to play? I know for a fact that I have no silver/grey

I'd say you can still play! Make what you can within the colors listed for each square, and if you don't have a particular color and cannot go shopping, then pick something that's closest to it? i.e. for silver, i guess maybe an off white?

Thats my thought anyway

[ATTACH]35750[/ATTACH]

That's beautiful!!! I need to make my squares!! Gasp! I have new colors posted!!

"Turq. red and brown." Hm, this is one is a little tougher!

I know I have red, last week or the week before I picked up 2 skeins of this almost glowing red. I might have some chocolate-colored yarn left (just wish it smelled like chocolate too!). Think the closest I have to turquoise is my blue mint. I'll have to browse the stash to make sure!

Yep, Kookie, don't let not having a certain color keep you away!!! See...you like color too, and I knew you'd soon be joining!!! :rofl

You don't have any gray or silver thread or ribbon you could weave into the finished square with the 2 colors?? You're so creative... :yes

You don't have any gray or silver thread or ribbon you could weave into the finished square with the 2 colors?? You're so creative... :yes

I do actually have some silver metallic thread that I could add,thank you for reminding me :D

I can't keep away but before I commit myself to the CAL I want to ask questions or a question at least :)

That's fine! you can use any color as a substitute as long as you have at least 1 or 2 of the original colors! <3 Or just play for the fun of it! the point of this is to use what's in your stash and not buy new!

Archived