Annie's Attic - Little Rant...

I don't see any reason to close or remove this thread. Everyone is speaking respectfully with each other, even when they don't share the same opinions. That's great!

Some people seem to think that Annie's Attic/DRG is some big corporate giant on the level of Walmart or something. However, DRG (Dynamic Resource Group) is just an 80-year-old family business, currently owned entirely by the Muselman family, in its third generation of ownership. If they have less than 500 employees (most likely), they would be considered a small business by the Small Business Administration.

Annie's Attic was created in 1976, and sold to DRG in 1996.

I don't sew so I can't tell you that I've seen a jump in pattern prices there too - I'm sure that there has been and I guess it's the way of the world. It just seems that in the last few months, I've noticed the trend to start offering just one pattern instead of a few for the price we used to pay for a collection.

I don't sew so I can't tell you that I've seen a jump in pattern prices there too - I'm sure that there has been and I guess it's the way of the world. It just seems that in the last few months, I've noticed the trend to start offering just one pattern instead of a few for the price we used to pay for a collection.

Oh yeah, I still get sticker shock over the sewing patterns alone, but like I said, there's usually some kind of 50% off thing...

Because of this thread, I went back to Annies to check my account history and the last single pattern purchase for download that I made was for the Bomber Baby jacket...it was so a must have, will die if I don't have it type of purchase. And well worth the money I paid for the pattern when I made a "motorcycle" jacket out of it and gave it to my nephew. He was excited, his mom and teachers were excited...it was great. All other download purchases I made are in the "My Bookshelf" section of Annies for my account and it showed how many pages each pattern purchase was...one in particular was over 100 pages...and the others were more than 3 or 4...prices were about the same...

The bottom line in this OR any product is that "it is wht the market will bear". If people refuse to purchase and content themselves with using what they have or seeking other sources for patterns, the manufacturers will get the message. IF people buy at he inflated prices it will just cause further inflation of the sticker. It is true in ALL aspects of sales.

• 10 years later...
On 2/22/2011 at 12:34 PM, yarnjeannie said:

I just received my new Annie's catalog and I am so disappointed. I saw so many things I'd like to make but the prices are outrageous! At least in my opinion, they are. The "Easy Crochet Jacket" pattern - would love to make it but the cost of the pattern for one single item is $6.95. I am accustomed to buying booklets with 6-10 patterns in it, so I'm not thrilled with paying that much for one single item. To make the 6 items I saw that really caught my eye - I would have to pay over $35! I don't have that kind of money in this economy.

Is anyone else disgruntled with the current trend to offer one single pattern for anywhere from $6 to $9?

Yes, and if you buy a downloadable pattern, better print it, because if your pc goes down or you save it to disc or thumb drive, the pdf locks and you can no longer get access to it! I admit, I bought my patterns years ago, so after I discovered this I never bought any of their downloadable patterns since! I don't know if this is still happening or not! I agree regarding the prices for these patterns! I prefer buying patterns directly from the designers online. At least I know how much is being given to a designer that way.