Annie's Attic - Little Rant...

I just received my new Annie's catalog and I am so disappointed. I saw so many things I'd like to make but the prices are outrageous! At least in my opinion, they are. The "Easy Crochet Jacket" pattern - would love to make it but the cost of the pattern for one single item is $6.95. I am accustomed to buying booklets with 6-10 patterns in it, so I'm not thrilled with paying that much for one single item. To make the 6 items I saw that really caught my eye - I would have to pay over $35! I don't have that kind of money in this economy.

Is anyone else disgruntled with the current trend to offer one single pattern for anywhere from $6 to $9?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the individual designers at Annie's Attic are not making $6.95 off the sales, and if you check around online buying single patterns from the designers themselves will cost that much or more. Don't get me wrong, I hesitate to buy patterns like this, too, but these prices are not out of line for the going rates. It is up to you and me to decide if we are willing to spend it or not. Occasionally I bite the bullet and buy. Most often I look for something else I like which is free. My choice.

Too bad I don't know how to design for myself! LOL.

Edited by HomekeepingGran
  • Like 1

Perhaps it would help to think of all the expenses that may be involved for a large company to produce a quality pattern:

• Photographer
  • Model
  • Pattern designer
  • Technical editor
  • Contract crocheter (to produce the finished piece(s) shown in the pattern; not always used for all patterns)
  • Pattern Page design staff
  • Website staff (coding the pages to add the pattern for sale)
  • Accounting staff
  • Credit card processing fees
  • Advertising (some amount for this is added into cost of each pattern being sold)
  • Miscellaneous overhead expenses (same as above)
  • Profit

When you add up all the expenses involved in producing a pattern, you can see why a standard retail price could be this much, especially if the pattern were created to be sold individually.

Some people might argue that since a pattern may have been published in a magazine before, it should be sold for a cheaper price. If you had 28 patterns in a magazine with a cover price of $5.00, the per-pattern cost would be $0.18. That's obviously not a fair price to expect a pattern to be sold, I think we could all agree!

The cover price of a magazine can be so low while it contains so many patterns because the advertising revenue is helping to pay for the true worth of the pattern.

I believe patterns that appear in magazines should be sold individually for the price at which they'd need to sell if they had been produced individually. To do otherwise would falsely drive down the price of the exclusively individual patterns. Then nobody could afford to produce them anymore, since they'd never make back their investment. Then we'd be stuck with only patterns that appear in magazine.

If you really want several patterns that have been published in a magazine in recent years, instead of purchasing them individually, it can be more cost-effective to purchase either hard-copy back issues of a magazine or a digital subscription, which usually gives you access to at least the past two years' worth of issues in addition to your current subscription issues.

I agree with you 100%. I'm sure the designers who sold their rights to AA are not receiving the kind of money we're looking at here. What we are looking at is a publisher reaping in the bucks. I wouldn't have a problem buying an individual pattern from a designer on Etsy selling their own designs for that price.

I don't understand why it's okay to pay that price to an indie designer but not to a large company. The big company has many expenses the indie designer doesn't have. A big company has many employees whose salaries it needs to pay, too. Product sales produce the revenue to pay the employees.

The individual designer probably took his/her own photos, got someone to volunteer to serve as a model, used pattern testers who tested the pattern in exchange for getting the pattern for free, did the page design layout themselves, and so on. Since the designer was doing all that on their own, they didn't have the capital outlay the large company did.

$7 is pretty much my max price point for a pattern, and I would only pay that for a very special pattern--not something run-of-the-mill that looks like a lot of other patterns out there. However, I won't be buying many patterns at that price--only 1, and only infrequently--that's the only way I can justify spending so much for a single pattern--especially a digital pattern that I can't resell or give away when I'm done with it (and I rarely make more than one of something). If you knew you'd be making more than one of the item, either for resale or gifts, it would be a better value--but I almost never do.

• Like 1

I do take into account the costs of producing patterns. The overhead costs produce thousands of patterns and booklets - Annie has "her" fingers in a lot of different pots, so to say. (I do recognize that Annie is a corporation, not an individual persona to be singled out). And because the corporation has advertisers, etc, they have a definite advantage in selling their products over the little guy or gal on Etsy.

I don't think that e-downloads, especially, should be worth the money they are asking. It's the same with Kindle e-books. I love my Kindle and found the cost of the Kindle worthwhile when e-books were so much less expensive than printed books. Yet, once the publishers saw the direction the market was taking, e-books are now sometimes more money than the printed copies! That I don't understand. I can't believe that there is that much overhead involved in making an e-copy of a pattern or a novel available to the public. It's why I've drawn a line in the sand that I won't cross.

I respect Amy's opinion greatly. But the statement I made above is the reason that I would rather pay $6 to Designer A selling their pattern on Etsy than to a big publisher who has patterns, craft booklets, mystery novels, scrapbooking products and other divisions to help cover their overhead costs.

Sure, you can get a very pretty baby blanket at Walmart. But would anyone begrudge a crocheter or knitter or any other individual artisan a higher price for their well-made items? Walmart has overhead, I'm sure. But as one of those "artisans", I think I'd rather see someone like me benefit from my purchase.

Ah, but then we are opening a can of worms, I guess. I don't want to be the one to put people at Annie's out of work...

Maybe I'd just be happy if instead of offering one pattern, they would bundle a couple of similar patterns and offer them in a package for the prices they are currently asking for a single pattern.

Amy, you can delete the thread if it seems like I'm picking on someone. :DThanks!

Edited by yarnjeannie
  • Like 1

$7 is pretty much my max price point for a pattern, and I would only pay that for a very special pattern--not something run-of-the-mill that looks like a lot of other patterns out there. However, I won't be buying many patterns at that price--only 1, and only infrequently--that's the only way I can justify spending so much for a single pattern--especially a digital pattern that I can't resell or give away when I'm done with it (and I rarely make more than one of something). If you knew you'd be making more than one of the item, either for resale or gifts, it would be a better value--but I almost never do.

That's about how I feel too. :)

My biggest rant with AA is actually their shipping costs, handling etc. if you buy one booklet for $7, it comes very close to doubling in price after shipping, tax, and handling. I find that excessive. I realize they're trying to make it easy, by having a standardized scale for shipping (or have things changed very recently), and also to tempt you to buy more (you can still spend $x and get this shame shipping amount) ...but one booklet does not cost over $5 to ship! As a result, I almost never order through that particular company.

• Like 1

Actually, Annie Potter started Annie's Attic. Her little company blossomed and is now the corporation we know. They used to be headquartered in Big Sandy, Texas, a cute little town on Texas FM 155, but I believe they are now in Dallas. (Could be mistaken, though.) I'm not even sure Mrs. Potter is still alive though I don't think she could be super old yet. Perhaps someone else has more information about her?

I just wanted to make sure no one thought I was pointing fingers at Ms. Potter herself.

I am thankful for the patterns I have purchased from the company - I've made the Barbie furniture sets and the Birth of Christ Nativity set and loved making these items.

I guess I'm just living in the past - my money used to go a lot farther.

Actually, Annie Potter started Annie's Attic. Her little company blossomed and is now the corporation we know. They used to be headquartered in Big Sandy, Texas, a cute little town on Texas FM 155, but I believe they are now in Dallas. (Could be mistaken, though.) I'm not even sure Mrs. Potter is still alive though I don't think she could be super old yet. Perhaps someone else has more information about her?

I agree that companies like Annie's Attic (DMG corporation) have more overhead than a individual but I don't understand why it cost as much for a downloaded version as it does for a printed version. Also why is there as much shipping and handling on a downloaded item as a printed booklet? I really prefer to buy printed books since my printer isn't all that great and the price of ink is very expensive.

• Like 1

Hi ~ While I don't have any of their catalogs, I do have a few of their afghan books. I love their patterns! I'm sorry to Jeanne for her predicament. I tend to look at and feel differently about these things, I guess. For me, when it comes to crochet, I fall prey to my heart. If it's a pattern I absolutely love, the price doesn't bother me because the intrinsic value of having and working with the pattern is worth so much more. :manyheart

Jeanne, I hope that maybe if you look around a bit, you may find the same/similar pattern offered somewhere else at a lesser price. Check e-bay, too. Someone may be selling a book/booklet with your pattern in it. I know it's work, but it could be worth it AND you may find other things you like even more at a better price. :hug

They do it because there are people that will pay for it.

Have you written or emailed Annie's Attic to see if the pattern is also in a leaflet or book? If it is then you could feel justified in spending that much.

• Like 1

While it is disheartening to pay that much, it is understandable and not really out of line. I am a sewer and the price of commercial patterns is higher than that, with patterns from smaller companies as high as $20 each. I have been making wall quilts from patterns that were $12 each (thank goodness for Christmas money from my mother). Cross-stitch patterns often start around $8 and I have one that my husband bought me (I wouldn't pay this) for $15. I love to find a good magazine or book of patterns because it is so much more cost effective, even if you use only a few of the designs.

I think alot has to do with the price of the pattern as well as the cost of the fiber to make it. The price could be that much and maybe even more if it is something I really feel I have to make, but if the cost of supplies bring it to a prohibitive amount, and I can't find a substitute fiber at a cheaper price, I have to deny myself the luxury.

I try comparing the total cost of making it to the cost of purchasing it ready made, then I can sometimes justify how much I am paying.

I also may put it on a little wish list, and check out Annie's clearance section, where I often pick up some great buys.

I have purchased the download patterns, simply because I don't want to wait to start my project, but I never paid shipping and handling for them.

As for the shipping, I think the costs of shipping have gotten out of control from almost every site I go to. I try to keep in mind that the shipping fees correspond to the rise in gas prices. And that the PO is trying to offset their losses from everyone using email and online payments now instead of snail mail.

Just MHO....

I don't like that many patterns are "Download Only". I like to have a pattern in my hands not on my computer which is suceptible to viruses that can destroy my files.

I even print some my own patterns out because I like to have them in my hand and it serves as a backup :lol A couple of weeks ago I learned the importance of backing up my files. My computer crashed and I lost a few of my patterns :eek I had to ask a tester for them.

I even print some my own patterns out because I like to have them in my hand and it serves as a backup :lol A couple of weeks ago I learned the importance of backing up my files. My computer crashed and I lost a few of my patterns :eek I had to ask a tester for them.

I really don't mind the download aspect...it just means that I will end up printing out the pages and I don't mind that at all. I have binders for that. Also, if for some reason I damage the copy, I can go back to the computer (or the disk the pattern is saved on) and get another copy.

Sure, I like having a book or magazine, but I really don't mind the downloads.

And while yes, sometimes I do think the prices of single patterns can seem outrageous, not just on Annie's site but others online and also out in the brick and mortar shops, it all depends on how much I want the pattern. Sewing patterns alone for the past 25 years have seemed very expensive, but then there's always a 50% off sale at Joann's or even on the pattern websites...

If you really want a particular pattern, but the price hurts your eyes, wait a little while, even Annie's has clearance sales, just like everyone else.

One thing I do when deciding whether or not to buy a pattern online especially for download is to see if it's a collection of patterns or a single pattern. If it's a single pattern and the price is over a certain amount, I won't buy it unless I'm practically drooling on the keyboard for it...but it's really got to be a must have or I'll die type of pattern and honestly, it's a very rare occasion that I'll find a single pattern that I'll justify spending serious dollars. But if it's a collection, even if the rest of the patterns are "eh" I figure at some point down the road when I'm pawing through patterns for inspiration, they might just tweak my interest in some way. That's happened before.

AmyS made several valid points and I do want to add one thing:

There have been threads on this site about how people have gotten mad because others have priced their work too low, making it tough for yet others to price their work higher. One of the ongoing problems with trying to make a viable business out of hand work like ours (or sewing or knitting or whatever) is that it's all subjective. Sure, if we price our work to even try to break even, there are so many people that 1) will say that they can "make it themselves;" 2) feel they are being taken advantage of and price gouged 3) and again if the items are priced too low, then the item must not be worth much...it's really hard to find a happy medium.

I don't know how Annie's Attic comes up with their pricing system, but they are a business and I would think if the pattern is new and most especially if it's a popular pattern, the price will go as high as the market will bear...if not, then those patterns will be marked down and if they still don't sell then they might find themselves on the freepattern.com site.

I don't want it to seem as if I don't like download patterns I'd actually rather have them it's instant gratification I love that. I just like to have a pattern in hand. I'm not nuts about keeping my computer open while I'm crocheting it's too hard for me to stay off the internet and them I get no crocheting done :lol

But it's super easy to print out a pattern so I'd rather do that than wait for it to come in the mail.

I don't want it to seem as if I don't like download patterns I'd actually rather have them it's instant gratification I love that. I just like to have a pattern in hand. I'm not nuts about keeping my computer open while I'm crocheting it's too hard for me to stay off the internet and them I get no crocheting done :lol

But it's super easy to print out a pattern so I'd rather do that than wait for it to come in the mail.

Even with a laptop, I don't crochet off the computer...I print the pattern out...although, those of you that have the kindles and nooks, one friend of mine found that she could download the pdf's of her patters onto that and carry that around with her, which was the first time I thought, "Aha, a valid reason for possibly buying one of those things..." Although I haven't yet.

One thing to remember about the downloads too, no shipping costs...

although, those of you that have the kindles and nooks, one friend of mine found that she could download the pdf's of her patters onto that and carry that around with her, which was the first time I thought, "Aha, a valid reason for possibly buying one of those things..." Although I haven't yet.

This is one of the big reasons I'll be buying the second generation of the Apple iPad just as soon as they release them (hopefully in April).

I want the iPad instead of a dedicated ereader 1) because it's color, 2) because it will replace my almost-dead PDA, and 3) I'll be able to run Crochetville from it when I'm away from the laptop and a wireless connection (plus it's easier to carry the iPad than the laptop).

This is one of the big reasons I'll be buying the second generation of the Apple iPad just as soon as they release them (hopefully in April).

I want the iPad instead of a dedicated ereader 1) because it's color, 2) because it will replace my almost-dead PDA, and 3) I'll be able to run Crochetville from it when I'm away from the laptop and a wireless connection (plus it's easier to carry the iPad than the laptop).

Way cool!