gothfaerie05

Item to crochet for mother of newborn

Question

My best friend is getting ready to have her second child, a baby girl, in a couple of weeks. I live in the midwest, and while the weather is still very um, variable in March, I'd like to make something for her or the baby that is appropriate for spring.

I don't have a lot of money to work with, and I want something easy to care for, so I'll probably be using Simply Soft or some other yarn I can find for about $3 a skein at Walmart. I'm considering making some kind of a large wrap or something, since she breastfeeds, and often ends up carrying around a blanket or such. That or a baby blanket. But in terms of items FOR small infants, I'm kind of at a loss as to what kind of yarn I should avoid, if there's anything that could be dangerous to them, etc.

Mothers and people who know more about children than I do, bring out your patterns! I'm pretty good at designing my own items, as well, but I'm not really sure what to make that would be most useful. Your suggestions and tips are very much appreciated!! :-)

8 answers to this question

Hey, I have seen blankets for breast feeding that have a sort of strap thing attached that the mother puts over her head to hold in place while she is feeding! Not sure what they would be called but maybe you could do a favourite pattern and adapt it in this way!

You can go Suzies Blog and find caccoons to crochet. They are fun to make, easy and snuggly perfect for a nursing mom. She has a lot of baby patterns on her list at the right side of her page.

http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/2009/09/shell-sleep-sack-and-cap-c.html

as for what yarns to use...unless there's a fibre allergy to worry about, you should be fine using anything you like...especially something soft! :D I worked with both acrylics and blends for my kiddos, for most of what I made...

HTH

A lot of people use baby yarn for small babies. It's very thin and makes a lightweight blanket. Personally - I use Caron Pounders and make much bigger ghans - they don't stay little very long.

The "Best Booties Ever" pattern here on Crochetville is very easy and they turn out beautiful.

Check this one out. I have the yarn and was just about to start on it, and it mentions that this is very similar to the Flutter Baby Top so they can be made to match. Of course, you'd need to double lighter weight yarn or use something chunky for Mom's shrug.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/50931AD.html?noImages=&utm_source=20110218_Feb18&utm_medium=Emails&utm_campaign=Weeklynewsletter&utm_content=P-CrochetV-StitchCocoonShrug-50931