Our House Part Two

JulieKay

morning peeps!

Hi House. :)

Joanne ~ Your time with family sounds great!  I haven't seen the boys in over a week, but they both have strep throat and I sure don't need that!  So far DD and SIL are okay.

Fingers crossed they stay that way!

Cindy ~ Chili sounds perfect with your cold weather. :yes   Do you have a favorite recipe? 

Judy ~ So glad your finger is better!  I do love Cindy's pattern, too. :)   I'm taking a break from hexies and making a couple of scarves. I need a break from piecework occasionally too....even though creating something from scraps has to be a favorite thing for me, it gets crazy sometimes.

Gracie is at the vet for her bath and trim.  Her hair is finally growing out from her surgery so she's looking more like a Cairn now.  ;) Our vet is really pleased with how she's doing and she should have freedom in the yard before long.

Have a good afternoon, everyone. ♥♥♥

Oh, she's going to be so happy to run again!

Hi ladies. Winter is back with a vengeance. It's been snowing since yestday. I had to run some errands and drop by work and the roads are getting pretty bad.We're having a Spring day today - high 40's are expected. The birds are confused: saw a robin yesterday!

Mary, my chili recipe is on my blog. Dh hates kidney beans, so I make a non traditional black bean and corn chili. After it simmers a while I taste test and sometimes add more stuff. Yesterday's chili was too hot for me so I threw in a big can of tomatoes to tone it down a bit. Im glad to hear that Gracie is progressing so well.

Judy, it's been ages since I even looked at that pattern. Wasn't that one actually a scarf pattern?In the body of the directions for the blanket you reference that scarf as the source for the pattern. It's working up so soft and squishy!  I'm thinking of knitting some premie blankets. That would take me forever! I'll be practicing my knitting on dishcloths ...loL! For the lady on crochetville that has the premie blanket charity. We are going to the Smokies in March and with my knitting speed, I'd only need to pack one skein of yarn for the week if I knit even a small blanket. If I take crochet, I would need to pack at least two projects. You're too funny!

Off to work on dinner......

Have  great day my friends!

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year at this time we were surrounded by melting snow from a big storm! Yesterday we had some flurries, then hail-like stuff that looked like the powder detergent you use for clothes...wierd. 

Good morning house!

Judy-using left over yarn is so rewarding!  I really must start a scarp ghan as my small skeins of  yarn are taking over my craft corner.  We have had such a cold winter, I am looking forward to Spring and warm nights.

Cindy-your chili recipe sounds yummy!  My family loves chili is a good idea, I should whip up a batch.  My freezer meals are almost gone, how about yours?

Joanne-how are you?  Do you go to Craft Night anymore?

Mary-ohh strep throat, yikes!  dh is a carrier and I am the receiver, it sure is painful.  :lol  So happy to hear that Gracie is doing well, she just sounds so cute!

Nothing too exciting here in my neck of the woods, work work work and cleaning.  This morning I swept thru the house like a tornado, picking up jackets, shoes, sweeping and washing dishes.  I am the main culprit, my family is so good at putting their things away, I was never like this but now I seem to leave a trail.  No more!  I am going to require myself to pick up after myself..terrible I tell ya...I should be sent to Time Out..I will gladly go.   :manyheart

Back to work, hugs and warmest of wishes! :ghug

Good morning ladies!

Well, it looks like January got away from me a bit....well, maybe a lot!

First of all....thank you all for the wonderful Birthday Wishes! :ghug

I skimmed the posts, but did not take notes.  But, I saw a couple gorgeous afghans by Joanne and Judy as well as a repaired ghan by Judy...beautiful work ladies.  I'm sorry I can't remember who made the tote bag for their dd's birthday, but I love it!  And LeeAnn's ice fest looked like an awesome time!

What have I been up to, you ask?  Well, January was quite the busy month.  For starters, I never did get sick....just took some allergy medicine and was good to go, lol.

Troy and I ALMOST bought a house!  We finally found one that we both like and put in an offer (at asking, and market) that was accepted, woohoo.  Well, following the home inspection we found it needed a new roof and furnace, the hot water heater had something starting to melt because it was never installed correctly in the first place, the fireplace needed to be fixed, there was mold in the attic, ductwork wasn't done properly, new carpeting upstairs (which I feel like you always do when buying a house anyways), and other miscellaneous stuff. Sooo, we lowered our offer to reflect the work needed.  They advertised as move in ready, which it clearly is not really.  Anyhow, they were completely unwilling to budge AT ALL on the price and so we backed out and walked away!  The search will continue, but will hold off a bit I think.  The timing on this one wasn't the best anyways and everything happens for a reason!

Now, nothing is official YET...but, we started talking about a wedding and have started planning!  :yay  I just don't technically have the engagement ring yet, lol.  So, we haven't really told people yet or put it out of facebook.  My parents and my sister know, that's about it so far.  We've already checked out several venues and am waiting to hear back from a couple yet.  We're hoping to have a September wedding, so will be at the mercy of dates available wherever we choose to have the reception since it's a late start as far as wedding planning goes.  Needless to say...the whole summer will be crazy busy.  We already have 5 other weddings to attend this year!  I'm tired already ;)

We celebrated my birthday and Ingrid's birthday together.  Hers is the week before mine, but we never had anything for her because her grandma wasn't doing too well.  She ended up passing the week before Ingrid's birthday and the funeral was the weekend before, then everyone already had plans that weekend that fell between our birthdays, so it made sense to just have one big party....and, you know my family! lol.  As for grandma...she had a great life.  She passed at 98 years young with all her wits about her!  She got around well, right up until about the last month or two.  So, many fond memories of her....such a sweet lady!

I think that brings us to now!  I'll try to get back quicker than about 4 weeks next time!!!!!

I hope everyone is doing well and Happy belated Birthday Cindy!!! :birthday

Hi peeps!

LeeAnn, I saw your blog with the Valentine's soaps! What an artist you are!!!

Marisa, I love your idea of having a short engagement! When I met DH in December of '67 we were engaged by march and married in December - all within just less than a year! I hope the plans go smoothly. And you're right about house hunting: you'll find the right one! So glad you had a great party. And remembering a woman who lived a full life till the end - at 98, no less - is precious. Sounds like she left a wonderful legacy.

I will be looking around for another destination for my charity crocheting. Blankie Depo in this area is ceasing operation immediately. 

I will check with the nurse in the neighborhood. I may need to just make hats for a while - but except for the fact that they're fast, I really don't get the sense of satisfaction making them as I do with blankets. Meanwhile I'm still making the blue blanket....

Have a great rest of the day, my friends.

Hello ladies. It's snowing here. We've gotten quite a bit of snow this week, and it's been bitterly cold as well. I worked today and found out that if no one has volunteered to stay home, they are calling staff and making them stay home. I'm sorry to hear that, a lot of people need all their income, but I'm kind of glad they won't be calling me every morning to ask me to stay home. At 5:30 in the morning, they can talk me into staying home easily. I have the most seniority, so it will be a while before they make me stay home. I've been working about one day a week since the beginning of January. I can afford this, but I'd still like to work a bit more. The reason for this is massive budget cuts, linked to decreasing Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. Currently reimbursement is somewhere around 45 to 50 cents on a dollar. Obviously that isn't sustainable. I'm glad I'm close to retirement age, but I'm a bit worried about the quality of health care in the future.

Yesterday I made my great niece a messy bun hat. My sister in law, who is her grandmother was going to pay someone $40 to make one. She asked me if I would make one for $40, if she bought the pattern. I told her I didn't need a pattern and I would make it for free. I ended up just winging a pattern, and I thought it turned out pretty well. As a bonus it turned out to be reversible, which was totally unexpected. The brim us ribbed on one side and has hirizantal ridges on the other side. I intended to make ridges, the ribbing was a surprise!

Judy, what about Project Linus? In our area they even collect full size blankets for teens. I actually like making hats, because they are fast and they are a good way to use up smaller amounts of yarn.

Marisa, congratulations!! Woo hoo! A wedding!!!

Lee Ann, my freezer meals are pretty much gone too, but I made a double batch of chili, so I need to get that divided up and into the freezer. DD and I are hoping to do another cooking session next week.

My messy bun hat. Eventually I will write up the pattern and put it on my blog. It looks small, but it stretches quite a bit. My great niece is 11 and I made it to the measurements my sister in law gave ne. However, it stretches enough to fit me, so it should work.

ETA: I'm not sure how I managed to get one of the pictures to be upside down. Apparently I have talents that defy logic!

post-6189-0-80491500-1486087581_thumb.jpg

post-6189-0-14982000-1486087626_thumb.jpg

Morning peeps!

Cindy, that hat is so pretty!!! She's going to love it! 

That's sad about the work hours - when I get our Medicare statements I see how little the doctors are reimbursed, so I can only imagine how hospitals are hurting. It's no wonder patients are rushed out of hospitals - IMO, sometimes too fast.  DS has that same issue with reimbursement and financially can't take too many Medicare patients.

And once Project Linus knew I had dogs, even though I'm careful not to let the dogs near my work, plus I wash, dry and immediately put them in new plastic bags - they wouldn't take them. My nurse friend was a lot less choosy - she knows how I am. I haven't spoken to her in a while and I'm not sure she still works in NICU...I'll ask around, though. I'm sure I'll find someplace to donate.

Hi to Joanne, Marisa, LeeAnn, Marlene, and everyone!

Good morning house!

Cindy-oh my gosh!  Having hours cut is scary!  That is just awful, I would be worried too.  My dh works in the medical field as well, companies are cutting back in every way.  It is getting pretty scarce out there.  We haven't had any more snow here but it sure has been cold.  

Judy-Project Linus would not accept your goodies?  That just sounds strange, even with having pets.  Do you have nearby schools that would like hats?  Nursing homes?

Marisa-welcome back!  Congratulations!  I bet you and Troy are over the moon happy to start planning a wedding.  5 weddings to go to sounds like so much fun!

Hello to the rest of the house, nothing much going on except that DH ordered a new Bath Fizzy Machine for me :c9   I have been making the fizzies by hand but with my wrists and such I was saving to order one..he said last night to just order it and he would pay for it. :manyheart   This is the most expensive piece of equipment that I have ever ordered, it should be here by Valentine's Day.  I can't wait!  Oh my gosh! I am going to have so much fun whipping out new fizzies, I can start selling them in big batches too..off to work on hooky projects while I can.

Talk soon, hugs and warmest of wishes!

Hi Ladies. :)   It's been a super busy week and I've lost track of days. Lol

Marisa ~ Congratulations!  It will be so much fun to hear about your wedding plans. :manyheart   Your "combined" birthday sounds really fun!

Cindy ~ Love the hat! 

Judy ~ Oh, our local Project Linus takes things from "pet friendly" homes!  Like you, I go over every inch making sure no little pet hair has made its way into the project.  Gracie doesn't shed at all, but Zoe Cat does. 

LeeAnn ~ Yay for a new Fizzy Machine! :cheer   You deserve it and it sounds like it will make your life much easier. :yes

Joanne ~ Is this the weekend you're going to DD's?  Or did I dream that? :lol

Great news from Fort Worth!!!  DD will close on their current home on March 1 and on their new home on March 31.  They have found a wonderful home that they can rent from late this month until the end of the first week in April...an unbelievable stroke of luck!  Way too many details, but the "look good" buyers wanted an extra 35 days to make up their minds while they went to Europe!  (Talk about nervy people)  Obviously the answer was no and the very next week, they got a perfect contract from a young couple moving here from Connecticut.  They were prepared to own two homes for a while, but now they won't have to. :)  

Sue is coming this afternoon and we'll go over tomorrow and help DD start packing.  Have a great afternoon, friends. :manyheart

Hi ladies. I've been on call for work all day. That's actually better than just being called off. I earn a few dollars, plus I earn vacation time. (Our vacation time is earned by hours worked.). It's a beautiful, bright sunny day here, but wow, is it cold!

Thanks for the hat compliments.

I've been stripping a wallpaper border for the past couple of hours, but my back is saying that I've done enough for the time being. It's not coming off easily, but I think I have about 20 percent of it down. I've got a big mess to clean up now. Little bits of wallpaper all over.

Dh is sick, so I think we will be lying low this weekend. Maybe he will feel up to watching a movie tonight. I suppose, I could always strip more wall paper!

Lee Ann, I will have to look up bath fizzy machine. I never knew such a thing existed. I'm not worried about having hours cut, but some people are. I imagine that if this continues, people will begin job hunting.

Judy, I don't know if project Linus here has dog rules or not. How about the foster care system? Child protective services accepts kids blankets and handmade toys here. Lots of those children have nothing that they can call their own. I've also heard of police departments that will accept toys and blankets to give to children who have been traumatized by crime.

I notice that we are on the last page of this thread. It will automatically close when this page reaches its limit. Hopefully whoever posts last will start a new thread and edit their post on this thread to add a link to the new one. I'm guessing that post 20,0000 will be the last post.

It is bright and sunny here today, but wow, is it ever cold. I think it's going to be a hang out by the fire and craft or read kind of day.

I managed to get pretty close to half the wall paper down yesterday, but my back says that's enough for a bit. It's a lot if work, and we have wall paper birders in several other rooms as well. We want to paint the entire house this year, so it will all have to come down eventually.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Hi peeps!

Cindy, that's a tremendous amount of work - Which is why we will never put up wallpaper again! Take it easy.

LeeAnn - what a sweet hubby! Mine is like that, too...Keepers!

Mary, that's great news!!

Thank you all for the suggestions about where to donate! I'll remember them. My nurse neighbor is back to work at the NICU and will take any and all things I make - in the past she would also set aside blankets for people who needed something special ... She also has another nurse friend who works at another hospital here in NJ, and she'll take things too. I'm back to work! 

I found some green SS yarn and will make at least one hat for any St. Patrick's babies...lol!

We're really cold here today...stay warm my friends!

Oh, and Cindy, thanks for the heads up re the 1000 posts. They do it automatically and start up our new one? Or should I contact Amy? 

Oh, and Cindy, thanks for the heads up re the 1000 posts. They do it automatically and start up our new one? Or should I contact Amy?

Not sure about that. Now that you mention it, I think that Amy may have just archived most if the posts in the last thread and we continued posting in the same thread. So, yes, I think it's probably a good idea to contact Amy.

Hi all. :)

Oh dear - we do talk a lot, don't we? ;)  

Judy ~ Let me know if you want me to do anything.  I suppose we could just start a new thread, but hopefully Amy will let us know what to do.  If we don't hear back from her fairly soon, one of us can start a new thread and delete it if need be.?

DD's kitchen and part of their den are packed...about 25 boxes so far!  They're just keeping out basic essentials that they will need before they move and while they're renting.  This is going to take a while. Lol

Have a good evening - time to start dinner. :manyheart

Good morning

It's been a rough couple of days but things are getting back to normal. Dh ended up in the hospital on Wednesday. He had been nauseous and vomiting for a few days and stubborn man wouldn't listen to me to call the dr. He has diabetes and I didn't think this was just a stomach virus. And of course he wasn't checking his sugar levels. He was in diabetic keto acidosis. And he was dehydrated. And his labs were all out of whack. Hopefully this was a big wake up call. He isn't very good at checking his sugar every day. And I can only nag so much. He was DC home yesterday.

On a happier note, my dd had the grand reopening reception for her print shop on Friday evening. I had promised to be the Jali watcher and since DH wasn't going to be DC until sat morning I went. It was amazing. Such a big turn out. And Jali was so good. He is the print shop baby I walked him to her apt and put him to sleep around 8:30. Her print shop is only 2 blocks away from her apt. I'm so proud!

I just caught up on all the posts! And didn't write anything down so suffice to say, I will go forward from here. BUT I must say congrats to Marisa!!!! I'm so happy for you. Exciting times ahead!!!!!

Happy super Bowl Sunday everyone!!

Good Morning!  Well, I guess we'll find out pretty quickly what happens when we reach #20,000!  ;)  We can always private message each other if we need to.  :yes 

Joanne ~ So sorry about your DH. :hug   I hope he's much better now and I totally understand about stubborn husbands!   I'm so glad you were able to go to DD's opening and spend time with Jali, too!

Cindy ~ Are you working much this week?  After reading about the changes at your hospital, I see the same thing at our primary care doctor's office and other doctor's, too.  Fewer employees, but so far it just means waiting a little longer to check in, etc. 

Judy ~ What are you working on?  I'm making another baby afghan.  I sold 4 last week which put a good dent in my inventory!  One lady bought 3 of them - all for baby gifts. :c9

I have errands this a.m.  DD and I are working on a schedule for good "packing days."  Have a great Monday, friends. :manyheart

Hi, peeps.

I sent another message to Amy just now - in fact I may have made a mistake and never really sent the first one! Ah, well. 

Mary, if I don't hear by later today I'll just set up a new thread and send you gals the link. I think that would be version 3??

Hi all. :)

Oh dear - we do talk a lot, don't we? ;)  

Yup!

Judy ~ Let me know if you want me to do anything.  I suppose we could just start a new thread, but hopefully Amy will let us know what to do.  If we don't hear back from her fairly soon, one of us can start a new thread and delete it if need be.?

DD's kitchen and part of their den are packed...about 25 boxes so far!  They're just keeping out basic essentials that they will need before they move and while they're renting.  This is going to take a while. Lol

Have a good evening - time to start dinner. :manyheart

The kitchen is hard...my mom helped me set ours up when we moved in back when DS was a toddler. She was a godsend!

Good morning
It's been a rough couple of days but things are getting back to normal. Dh ended up in the hospital on Wednesday.YIKES! He had been nauseous and vomiting for a few days and stubborn man wouldn't listen to me Do they ever??to call the dr. He has diabetes and I didn't think this was just a stomach virus. And of course he wasn't checking his sugar levels. He was in diabetic keto acidosis. And he was dehydrated. And his labs were all out of whack. Hopefully this was a big wake up call. He isn't very good at checking his sugar every day. And I can only nag so much. He was DC home yesterday.What would our husbands do without us!?? Thank goodness you got him there.
On a happier note, my dd had the grand reopening reception for her print shop on Friday evening. I had promised to be the Jali watcher and since DH wasn't going to be DC until sat morning I went. It was amazing. Such a big turn out. And Jali was so good. He is the print shop baby I walked him to her apt and put him to sleep around 8:30. Her print shop is only 2 blocks away from her apt. I'm so proud!It sounds like it was a perfect time - and I'm sure you benefitted the most from just being grandma!

I just caught up on all the posts! And didn't write anything down so suffice to say, I will go forward from here. BUT I must say congrats to Marisa!!!! I'm so happy for you. Exciting times ahead!!!!!

Happy super Bowl Sunday everyone!!

That game was amazing - and despite DH's comments about the patriots, that "it wasn't meant to be" I reminded him of all the games Brady pulled out of the fire in the last two minutes. He actually admitted I was right about that...lol.

Good Morning!  Well, I guess we'll find out pretty quickly what happens when we reach #20,000!  ;)  We can always private message each other if we need to.  :yes  We can...

Joanne ~ So sorry about your DH. :hug   I hope he's much better now and I totally understand about stubborn husbands!   I'm so glad you were able to go to DD's opening and spend time with Jali, too!

Cindy ~ Are you working much this week?  After reading about the changes at your hospital, I see the same thing at our primary care doctor's office and other doctor's, too.  Fewer employees, but so far it just means waiting a little longer to check in, etc. 

Judy ~ What are you working on? I started a baby ghan, but then put it aside to start making a few green baby hats for the NICU. St.Patrick's day is coming, after all! I'm making another baby afghan.Hexies??  I sold 4 last week which put a good dent in my inventory!  One lady bought 3 of them - all for baby gifts. :c9  That's fantastic!!

I have errands this a.m.  DD and I are working on a schedule for good "packing days."  Have a great Monday, friends. :manyheart

Don't overdo the packing! 

Have a good one, my friends. And I'll get back to everyone about the new thread by tonight.

Archived