Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Morning, peeps!

It was 2 degrees when I got up this morning but the wind makes it feel like well below zero. I was already in the yard - thank heaven for layers.

Judy, that is a great picture of Lucy!Thanks! I had to be quick to get that shot!

It was 12 below when I left for work today. Thankfully my old Blazer started. Speaking of which, I got a new car, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Evidently my DH finds it embarrassing to have his wife driving around in a 15 year old vehicle, no matter how good a shape it's in.He's funny! However, we are going to keep the Blazer, since it runs so well, and has only 120,000 miles on it.Only?? LOL!

I sort of wished that I took the Jeep today though...it has heated seats and I could have used them. My son has heated seats...and I think his last car did too - he loves them. Work was very busy, but I enjoyed my day. Work again tomorrow.

Have a good day at work, Cindy.

Not much going on here...just waiting for Spring.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On call for work! I know they have already called one person in, so I'm probably next.

Judy, those old Blazers have engines that are good for 3 to 400,000 miles. A friend has one with 360,000 miles that is still running reliably. 120,000 miles is a drop in the bucket compared to that! Mine has never had anything other than routine maintenance as far as the engine goes. Of course, once GM figured out that some idiot had designed an engine that wouldn't die, they quit making it. There's not much profit in making a really long lasting vehicle. The old Blazers were also well built with a heavy steel frame. I'm not into off roading, but I've had several offers to buy for that purpose. I've never had any issues with it getting me through snow, which is the reason I bought it in the first place. Mine is in very good shape, since generally it's only me in it. I just hope that Jeep measures up to it!

If I dont end up working today, I will probably go visit my in laws this afternoon. I've been emptying more kitchen cabinets today. I'd like to paint the kitchen before the new cabinets come, and I'd also like to get the floor refinishing out of the way. I'm not looking forward to the mess and inconvenience, but I am looking forward to the new kitchen.

On call for work! I know they have already called one person in, so I'm probably next.

Judy, those old Blazers have engines that are good for 3 to 400,000 miles. A friend has one with 360,000 miles that is still running reliably. 120,000 miles is a drop in the bucket compared to that! Mine has never had anything other than routine maintenance as far as the engine goes. Of course, once GM figured out that some idiot had designed an engine that wouldn't die, they quit making it. That's what I always tell hubby about everything that's made: planned obsolescense (sp?)There's not much profit in making a really long lasting vehicle. The old Blazers were also well built with a heavy steel frame. I'm not into off roading, but I've had several offers to buy for that purpose. I've never had any issues with it getting me through snow, which is the reason I bought it in the first place. Mine is in very good shape, since generally it's only me in it. I just hope that Jeep measures up to it!Good luck with it!

If I dont end up working today, I will probably go visit my in laws this afternoon. I've been emptying more kitchen cabinets today. I'd like to paint the kitchen before the new cabinets come, and I'd also like to get the floor refinishing out of the way. I'm not looking forward to the mess and inconvenience, but I am looking forward to the new kitchen.

that's good: keep the end in sight...not the process!

Good afternoon, everyone.  The modem was on the fritz yesterday and earlier today.  It looks like this weekend I will actually return to my apartment.  Now that I have found a safe way to take a shower and can drive farther safely it's feasible.  I'll be glad to be back among my own stuff.  Not that I've regretted being here, but it's not my things.

Sweet Pea jumped down form the couch yesterday and pulled the ligament in her left hind leg again.  She barely moved at all yesterday.  Today is better but it's still hurting her when she does something she shouldn't.

DD came home sick today.  She's got what I had on Monday it looks like.  Poor thing.

No more therapy for this week.  However, it appears to be working, as I'm getting more movement in the shoulder.  And it looks like the med is kicking in, too, as it's not as painful as it was at the beginning of the week.

The picture of Lucy, is terrific, Judy.

Your new kitchen sounds like it will be wonderful, Cindy.

Hi Ladies,

Cindy, we owned a couple of Blazers. I loved them! I love my escape too. We had heated seats in a couple of vehicles, it sure is nice in the winter time. Good luck with the remodel in the kitchen.

Judy, I'm with you waiting for spring. This week of being here in the cold, I'm glad I go to texas. Just wish it would stay warm there.

Linda, poor sweet pea! Hope DD feels better real soon. Good luck in the move back to your apartment. Glad to hear the shoulder is doing better.

DD went back to work today. She isn't feeling well though, sore throat and a headache. Maya says her throat hurts now. Her daddy had it earlier this week. I sure hope I don't get it.

I leave tomorrow at 1:20 pm but don't arrive until 9:50pm central time. My lay over is along as my flying time. I sure hope with the snow we will get tonight and in the morning and what is coming out east won't delay me or not by much.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Stay safe and warm!

Good morning and happy Saturday!!!!

Cindy, what color are you planning on painting the kitchen? Great deal on the cabinets. And many happy miles in your jeep. My DD has a jeep grand Cherokee. Hers is 9 years old and still going strong!! Although she would like a newer vehicle, there is nothing wrong with the jeep and she does like that there are no car payments! Lol. My cr-v has heated seats and I LOvE them. They have come in very handy in these frigid days!!!

Marlene, safe travels. Look forward to yiur post from TX

Judy, that's a great picture of Lucy! Are you ready for some more snow this afternoon? Heard it's supposed to change to rain? That won't be good.

Mary. Is this the weekend you have the boys? I'm babysitting all day tomorrow for my gs.

Poor Ryan has an ear infection, but is on the mend. My dd was working on Thursday and her mil was babysitting He was crying and saying his ear hurt around 7 pm so her mil drove him to the hospital where DD works. He was seen in the ER and sure enough ear infection. Dd said it was great that she was working because it was the fastest ER visit ever according to her.

Oh, good news! My DD passed her CNOR exam so is now a certified OPerating room nurse. She'll now get an annual bonus !! They used to pay the nurses who were certified more hourly $. But it's been changed to where they just get an annual bonus. Needless to say, I'm proud of her. She studied hard for it and she said the exam was as challenging as the nursing boards.

Off to do laundry, start cleaning. I want to run a few errands this morning and hoping to have time to get to the LYS so I can salvage the knitted blanket.

Have a good day friends!

Linda, good luck with the move. I'm sure it will feel wonderful to be back in your own place, with your own things, and sleeping in your own bed. How is sweet pea doing today?

Tab, kudos to you for making sweaters. That's in my bucket list. I want to knit a sweater. But first, after the knit and crochet blankets are done, I want to go back to the socks I'm knitting

Darn!

computer just did something hinky and I lost half of what I had already written!

Short version:

Safe travels to Marlene

Glad to see Linda back and heare her positive news

Joanne, congrats to DD! And I'm dreading th emess the rain is going to bring more than the forecast of snow!

...and Lucy is so used to having me take her picture it's a hoot!

Later gators!

Good Morning, everyone. :) 

Judy ~ The picture of Lucy is priceless.  She is beautiful!

Cindy ~ Congratulations on the new car and for picking out your new cabinets!  I was a Blazer girl, too. lol  The first was a 1989 black one and then a 1996 white one that turned out to be a lemon...then I switched to Hondas. :)

Marlene ~ Safe travels today. :manyheart   By Monday morning, we're supposed to have ice and sleet.  I sure hope the same front doesn't make it as far as Rockport!

Tabby ~ Your sweater (and yarn!) sound lovely.  You know we still love pictures. ;)

Linda ~ Your weekend sounds like a busy one with the move back to your house.  Poor little Sweet Pea. I'm sure she'll be back to normal soon. :yes

Joanne ~ Have a good time with the boys!  Congrats to your DD...that is a wonderful accomplishment. :)

Hi to anyone I've missed!

We spent Thursday night in the ER after calling 911.  DH literally fell asleep sitting at the dinner table with his fork in mid-air.  I ran around the table and he opened his eyes but didn't quite know what had happened.  Our city EMTs were here in about 3 minutes.  We saw our doctor yesterday morning and they did another ekg and labs.  He's thinking narcolepsy, but is sending us to a neurologist for testing.  Never a dull moment around here! 

We're have DH's 70th birthday party at Sarah's tomorrow afternnoon - just family and a couple of friends.  I'm actually baking a cake, which I haven't done in years. :lol

Good morning. We are having a heat wave. It's 18 degrees outside! Much better than the below zero temps we've been having. A bit of snow is falling at times but it isn't supposed to amount to much. Even a lot of snow is preferable to ice and sleet though. Judy and Joanne, I hope you don't get rain. Rain on top of snow, combined with cold is a bad thing.

Linda, good news on the move "home". Hope it goes well. Hope dd feels better and ds doesn't get it. Hope Sweet Pea is doing better today.

Joanne, those nursing certification exams are harder than the boards n my opinion...of course, I only know about the critical care one. My dd is stroke certified and she thought that one was hard. All this, just to say "Congratulations" to your dd, becoming certified is a terrific accomplishment. .

Mary, how scary!. I worked with a nurse who had a severe form of narcolepsy, (she would just collapse at times, and was not allowed to drive), and she told some interesting takes about living with that illness. Luckily it can be controlled with meds. I'm glad you will be seeing a neurologist though, because he will rule out other possibilities. Happy birthday to your dh. Hope he enjoys his cake!

Marlene, safe travels today. Hope the weather in Texas is sunny and warm!

Mary, I bet by 1996, GM had figured out their long lived motor problem and remedied it! :). Marlene, my youngest DD drives an Escape and loves it. I tested out an Edge for a week, because my brother and sister in law love theirs. Dh really liked it, but I liked the Jeep better. I would have gone with Dh's choice, since we were keeping my Blazer, but he finally decided the Jeep was better for us since it can pull our camper. Prices were about the same so cost did not help us make a decision. We have a friend who owns several car dealerships, we just tell him what we are looking for. Once he finds something that he thinks we would like, he has an employee or one of his kids deliver the vehicle to our house and we drive it for a week or two. If we don't like it, he comes and picks it up. At one point in our search we had two of his vehicles here. Dd bought her Escape, used from him. She got everything she wanted in a vehicle, right down to the color bit did take him several weeks to find it for her, but you can't beat that kind of service.

Well, guess maybe I ought to get dressed. Dh is busily demolishing most of what's left of the kitchen. By the end of today, I will have a sink, stove, microwave, dishwasher and about 4 feet of counter space. I guess it's progress, just doesn't look much like it!

Oh, Mary - wow...I'll bet you were frightened when DH did that! I hope they discover the cause quickly and it's easily treatable. So....what kind of cake are you making? I hope he enjoys his big day! My hubby gets his big day in July...the number creeps him out....lol!

Cindy, what a great friend to have, a car dealer!

We went out to a late lunch and drove home in the beginning of the snow we are getting today. The visibility isn't going to be good soon.

The temps are going up into the 40's tomorrow....hence the rain forecast for late tonight and into tomorrow. Then we get the 20's on Monday.

Ice rink, here we come!

DH asked for a carrot - pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting.  I even made it with 3 layers! 

I talked to Luke a little while ago..."Oh, I love pineapple, I love carrots, does it have nuts?, why don't you make a chocolate cake, too?, with lots of chocolate and sprinkles"

I don't think he took a breath while saying all that. :lol

DH asked for a carrot - pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting.  I even made it with 3 layers! 

I talked to Luke a little while ago..."Oh, I love pineapple, I love carrots, does it have nuts?, why don't you make a chocolate cake, too?, with lots of chocolate and sprinkles"

I don't think he took a breath while saying all that. :lol

Lol. So are you going to make a chocolate cake too? Lol

Oh, that's sounds yummy, Mary! My MIL made the best carrot cake with cream cheese frosting....

Well, the snow hasn't stopped...and now the weather report has been changed. No longer one to three inches. Now we can get seven....I cannot imagine the flooding tomorrow if the rain shows up... then the flash freeze Monday.

Judy and Joanne, please be careful in all that snow, rain, and ice.  Sounds very nasty!

Mary, what a scary thing to have happen to DH.  Hope they get it figured out quickly and that it's easily treatable.  That cake sounds wonderful!  Yummy.  Hope you have a wonderful birthday party.

Joanne, congratulations to your daughter on passing the certification.  That's great!  :cheer  :clap  :cheer

DD is still under the weather.  What she's got is NOT what I had on Monday, so I'm hoping she doesn't share it with GS and I.  She's just started keeping stuff down or even wanting to try to keep stuff down.  And she's been sleeping a lot. 

Marlene, hope you have a good trip home and are on the last leg by now.  Hope you don't get what the family has.

Take care.  Love all of you.  :ghug

morning, peeps.

Linda, wow...I hope DD improves quickly. Sleep is probably the best for her, and I know you know the importance of her staying hydrated...even chopped ice is better than nothing. Stay healthy!

Well, this weather has been crazy! It began pouring rain last night about 8PM and only stopped this morning. The snow we got is compressed and very heavy and even our neighbor struggled with his heavy duty snow blower. He and DH are outside now finishing our driveway. The branches of our bushes have a coating of ice and the deep freeze will coat everything else tonight and tomorrow. 

I really do love cold weather....but the ice this year has me sorry that I feel that way...

Stay warm, cozy and well, my friends.

Good morning,

My wonderful neighbor elf must have been out last night since we woke this morning to our driveway and sidewalks clear!! All I had to do was the steps to the front door! Talk about being so grateful!!  We will definitely be getting him and his family something to thank them for all the times this winter that he has taken care of us. They were thoughtgul too when DH was in the hospital by bringing me food to eat so I wouldn't have to cook when I got home from the hospital. They are truly a blessing.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow's commute with the deep freeze settling back in--may be taking an "ice" day!

Marlene- I hope you have made it back to TX safe and sound!

Linda- Hope that DD feels better soon and that you have not caught whatever it is she has. Are you moved back in?

Have a good Sunday!

Good Morning.  Yikes!  Mother Nature is sure in a bad mood right now. ;)   To all of you having snow and ice - stay safe. :manyheart   We're supposed to have freezing rain and sleet starting late tonight.  We'll be back from DD's by 6:30 before the temps really start dropping.

Linda ~ Sending get will wishes to Joy. :hug   I hope you and DGS are okay. :yes

Marlene ~ I hope you're safely back in your Texas home!

Good morning, all.  The move back to the apartment is scheduled for this afternoon.  This time it should really happen.  Gathering up everything and not forgetting something will be the real challenge.  :P   I've accumulated quite a lot here in the last 3 months.  Yesterday it was a full three months.  Didn't plan on staying so long, but there have been lots of plusses to it on all sides.  My relationship with both DD and DGS has grown so much stronger and deeper by being here than it would have been by this time if I hadn't been here. 

I called and cancelled service for my old phone yesterday.  I've gotten to where I can use my new phone well enough to feel comfortable with it as my only phone.  Now to get the new number out to everyone.  :lol 

Judy and Joanne, that weather you are having sounds dangerous.  Please be extra careful on the roads and elsewhere.

Mary, the same goes for you.  Sounds like you'll be having a big mess tomorrow as well.

My recent fiber order arrived yesterday late afternoon.  It is fabulous.  :c9    I can hardly wait to see how the black and gold spins up.  It's even prettier than the pictures and so soft.  The bamboo and mohair are beautiful and I'm looking forward to incorporating it with other fibers and seeing how everything works together.  I'm thinking they will add lots of texture and color to the camel I got.  Add some colored silk and maybe some of the reddish brown alpaca and I think the result will be gorgeous.  At least I sure hope so.  :manyheart  

Hope you all have a great day. :hug

Joanne, you're blessed with your neighbor, as we are. DH gives his wife some cash each time he does our property...she agues less than he does...lol! They're not looking for it, just being nice neighbors. He did three other houses this morning - at least!

We were able to get out later this morning, and the main roads were good. very slushy and slippery in parking lots, though, THe sun is out and Miss Lucy enjoyed basking in it earlier. She seems impervious to the cold. The only thing that brings her in quickly is wind driven rain.

Linda, I hope you remember to bring everything back to your place. Is DD feeling a little better today?

Have a good rest of the day, my friends.

Morning, peeps!

Tabby, if you have pics downloaded to your computer and then hit Reply Options tab on any message you want to send, all you have to do is attach the photo. Once you go through the steps you'll see it's easy....

Have a good day my friends...usual Monday here!

Good Morning, House. :flake  Unfortunately, the weather forecast was right for a change.  We have about 2 inches of ice, sleet and snow.  Gracie woke me up about 4 - it was thundering and sleeting!  Obviously, we won't be going anywhere today. ;)

Linda ~ I hope you are all settled in your apartment.  Is Sweet Pea confused? :)

Tabby ~ Way to go on finishing your sweater!

Judy ~ Yep, usual Monday here, too.  Just need to do the final copy of our taxes, laundry, and then maybe some crochet time.

The party at DD's was lots of fun.  We had fajitas with all the extras and the cake, of course.  Luke was very polite as he walked up to everyone and asked if we were going to eat all of our frosting. :lol

Have a good morning, everyone. :manyheart

Hi, Mary - Oh, Luke sounds sooooo adorable!!!

I finally got all my chores done...now I can take a shower!

Will be working on the cosy ghan again today (from Attic24). I'm going to call it finished soon. Will be making it throw size...and since DS has no need for another ghan, it will go into the donate pile. I think...lol!

Archived