Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Snow day here. It's snowing hard, but it's really fine snow. It's really windy out there so visibility is quite poor. Luckily we have nowhere to go.

I went to Lowes yesterday and picked out all the components of my new kitchen. Next up is floor refinishing, then I can order the cabinets.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ladies,

Mary, Sounds like a great time with DD and some good bargains to. We have a few chilly days coming in. It's been quite nice for awhile though.

Cindy, :clap progress on the kitchen.

Linda, Maya's dog was out for a little while playing in the snow and she had, had enough of it. Your yarns sound so pretty.

Judy, Did DS come over and watch the super bowl with you guys? The RR is beautiful!

Joanne, Was you cheering for New England?

Yesterday we served 83 for spaghetti dinner. I face timed with Maya, Payton, Jocelyn and DS. DS found out the ex is being charged with disorderly conduct. Over her actions at the school on the last day before Christmas break. I don't know if her daughter is being charged to or not. It's a shame. None of the kids have school tomorrow with the big snow storm going through today thru tomorrow. We went to a super bowl party/potluck tonight. Stay safe and stay warm everyone. Have a nice monday!

Ohh, sorry missed your birthday, Mary!!! Hope it was wonderful!!!

Spent the day yesterday at DD's--I played with the boys while they got set up for their annual superbowl party- we had a great time- we left at halftime and watched the remainder of the game from home..

this morning we woke to snow on the ground and rain--then the temps started dropping- it's snowing- roads are freezing, so I left work early- got home around 2- I hope that DH will take his time coming home

Judy- love the red w/purple in the RR!!!!

now that I'm home, I think I'll do a little catch up on things that need to be done......

Hi ladies. We got a ton of snow overnight, and pretty much every school in the county was closed today. I was on call for work, but didn't get called in. I don't think I would have had any trouble getting to work. Traffic seemed to be moving ok out there.

I did laundry and made a couple of baby headbands today. Not very productive really, but more than I woukd have done if I went to work.

Belated happy birthday, Mary, hope you had a good day.

It's beautiful outside, but what a mess.  We got at least 12" and probably more.  It's deeper than Sweet Pea is tall.  The only way she can navigate it is with a sort of bunny hop.  Poor thing, she has never seen so much snow in all her life.  I think she had fun at first, but that is long since past.  Now it's just a struggle.

I did up another bat of the wool, alpaca, and silk.  It's so very pretty and such fun to work with. 

I've got a new phone, but haven't really learned to use it very much.  It's an iphone and it's got way too many bells and whistles.  But ever so slowly I am figuring it out with a lot of help from DD. 

Judy, your RR is stunning.  Someone is going to be very happy to receive it.

Have a good day and stay safe.  :manyheart 

Hi everyone.  Thanks to all for the birthday wishes. :manyheart   I find it hard to believe I'm now 65...Medicare, supplemental and Rx cards will remind me, though. :lol   And about 3 months ago, I decided to quit coloring my hair.  I've had it trimmed every two weeks to speed up the process of going gray - we'll see if the gray stays or not. ;)

Marlene ~ 83 for dinner!  Is that common?  How many people live at your park?  Maybe ex DIL will learn from all this - I hope so.  She obviously doesn't care a lot about the kids. :(

Judy ~ The RR is stunning!  It will make someone very happy and I love the red and purple together. :yes

Linda ~ Awww, all that deep snow must be hard to maneuver in for little Sweet Pea.  You'll love your iphone once you get used to it.  DD had to help me and I never use lots of the features.

Cindy ~ Yay for new cabinets!  I'm glad you got to stay home today.

Joanne ~ Do you have a snow day tomorrow?  The super bowl party sounds like lots of fun.  We had them for years and now we aren't the party animals we used to be. :lol

I was at Hobby Lobby when they opened today.  ILTY is on sale and I have two orders for baby 'ghans.  As slow as I crochet, it's a good thing that I have plenty of time. ;)  

Have a good evening! :ghug

Good morning ladies. Very cold this morning but no new snow. I'm on call for work again. It doesn't sound at all like they will need me before noon.

Mary, I'm starting to get quite a few gray hairs. All my sisters in law and most of my friends color their gray away, but I'm undecided. Of course, I don't gave a ton of gray yet. I might just add some highlights if the gray ever bothers me enough. My mom never really went gray, and my dad only had a bit of gray at the temples. My DH on the other hand is all gray. (DH: at least I've got hair!)

I've been experimenting with baby headband designs. My mil worked in a fabric store years ago, and had bins full of sewing notions, including a lot of beautiful lace. I took some of the lace, and now I'm trying to figure out a way to use it in the headbands. I have lots of very soft elastic that I can use for the band itself, but adding the lace to them and maintaining some stretch is going to take a bit of experimenting. I made a few, and will try them out on our dgs when I next see her.

I am still on a "craft-product-buying" diet. I am not going near the fabric stores, Michaels or Hobby Lobby no matter what is on sale. I could make those headbands so much more easily if I bought a few things though....like some stretchy lace.....

Good morning!  Cold today.  Yesterday was not a good day for any of us.  DD's house of cards went tumbling when GS bumped the couch with result that her favorite spinning bowl broke.  GS had a melt down and so did I.  Then when GS went to get his bunny to cuddle with it was discovered that she had managed to get out of her cage and was loose somewhere.  GS was frantic.  I managed to get him calmed down and bunny came out of hiding about a half an hour later, much to his delight.  Then he learned that he is going to be going to a new school for a while to try to figure out how to help him learn better and easier.  Another shock on top of everything else.  DD went shopping and wasn't home at his bedtime and he again got frantic.  I did manage to get him calmed down by getting him to cuddle with me on the couch.  He woke up when mom arrived back from the store and then went to bed okay.  All in all a rather traumatic day on the home front.  We go see the new school at noon today.  He wanted me to come, too, and I'll be glad to see the new school and meet his new teachers.

Cindy, I've had good luck working with lace when I put a line of stitching down the center and then gather it some along the line.  If the stitches are quite far apart I gather it a bit and still have stretch in it.  Just a thought.

Mary, I used to lighten my hair because it was too dark for my complexion.  Then I did color it for a while as the dark started to come out and the gray started to appear.  It's been natural now for quite a while and while I have some gray showing it's not that much.  I have been thinking about coloring it again just for a change, but haven't decided for sure yet.  And doing it with my shoulder is definitely a hardship I don't think I want to tackle just yet.

hi, ya, peeps!!

Thanks for the compliments on the RR...that's blanket number 2 of three I'm donating to the autism fundraiser my neighbor is in charge of. 

All the talk of letting your hair go natural is something I often think about...but it's not happening here - yet, anyway. Hubby likes it that I look a lot younger than him with my reddish hair. I have gray in front of my ears and silver mixed in all over though I haven't seen my natural color in so long I'm not sure what it really looks like!

And DS did come over for Super Bowl. What yelling went on from the man cave! It was an exciting game for once.

Linda, I hope the school works out well for GS! It's so good that you're there. Sound slike GS could earn some change if he shoveled a small potty path for Sweet Pea!

Off to relax now. I already cleaned the bathrooms, made potato salad and baked custard...and did two loads of laundry. Time to get a back rub from DH. :D

Linda, poor dgs, what a lot for a boy to deal with all at once. Hope the new school works out.

And thank you for the idea of gathering the lace, that never even occurred to me.

It's snowing here and there is a winter storm watch on. Sigh..... At least I don't have anywhere to go tomorrow.

We picked GS up and went to the new school this afternoon.  He was very shy each time he met someone new, but the atmosphere was such that he soon opened up related well with everyone.  Tomorrow is his first full day there.  He came home and went to sleep on the couch.  He was so stressed out about going somewhere new.  There are only 7 or 8 in the class which is combined 5th and 6th graders.  The plan is to figure out ways to help him cope with the stresses of school and help him not fall behind in learning.  Once they've got a better handle on his problems and how to cope with them, he'll return to a regular classroom again.  This is meant to be a short term intervention and not a permanent change.  Everyone we met was very nice and caring.  He's such a sweet kid.  The doctors are also looking at different meds and doses to help control the anxiety and depression problems.

It's gotten more bitter out and we are to get at least another 2 inches of snow tonight.  Yuck!  :no

Cindy, I'm glad you haven't had to get out in all the snow that you've been getting.  Roads here are a mess.

Have a good rest of the day to all of you. :hug

Hi Ladies,

Linda, I hope the new school works out well for DGS. A lot of things were thrown at him in one day. We could have a melt down. It's no surprise he did.

I don't color my hair. I use to because I like red hair and wanted mine to be red instead of auburn. I mostly have it on the sides and it is coming in sparingly through out the rest of it. With my hair permed the gray doesn't show as much.

We got a letter this week from the probate courts. Hubby's brother Ken is going for guardianship of there mother 100%. She doesn't want it. And said she will not go and live with them if he tries to pull it. We heard that sil went to mil primary doctor and wanted her to write a letter that mil is incompetent and the doctor told her no way. So then she went to the heart doctor who sees her once every six months and he gave her what he wanted. The primary doctor wasn't happy. I told mil to call her case worker she has known mil for years and she should be able to help her. The court date is the 11th. Please keep my mil in your prayers. Right now there is no reason for her to not be in her own home. Some where down the line that time will come. She will probably make the choice willingly.

A few weeks ago a couple here (his wife and I are good friends) had to go home. He has been sick and had pneumonia when they found out he had cancer. We got word that he has 4th stage lung cancer.

I hope everyone has a nice thursday.

Hi, everybody!

Marlene, prayers for your MIL's situation. She seems to have a lot of people on her side!

Hi, Cindy, Joanne, Mary, Linda, and everyone who hasn't had a chance to pop in.

I'll be posting another pic later. I fogot about the ruffled scarf I finally made!

Later, gators.

Good morning. Sunny but freezing cold out today. We got quite a bit more snow yesterday and dh says more is coming for the weekend.

I have spent most of the last four days going through all our pictures. I threw away a lot of them and got all the rest organized and stored in a Rubbermaid container. This has been on my to do list for years!

Judy, cute ruffled scarf. Is it knit or crocheted. I knit a couple of them a few years ago, but couldn't figure out the crochet version.

Marlene,mhopefully it all works out for your mil.

Good Morning!  Zach has been here for two days - Luke has a virus and the doctor was afraid it was the flu. He's doing much better so SIL came and got Zach last night.  Evidently, the flu vaccines aren't doing a whole lot of good this year...scary!  Zach slept with us.  Zach and gramps slept; Grammy not so much. :lol

Linda ~ Oh, it sounds like a rough week for you all. :hug With the very small classes, I'll bet GS's learning skills improve quickly. :yesHe's had a lot going on with his dad and losing his other grandma - I'm so glad you're there for him. :manyheart

Marlene ~ Sending hugs to you all. :hug   Praying that the judge will listen to your MIL and help the family work it all out.

Judy ~ Beautiful scarf!  I've yet to make one, but always love the way they look!

Cindy ~ I hope you all are safe and warm with all that snow!

Hi Joanne ~ Have a wonderful day. ♥

Some fun news!  I had a notification that Tabby liked a picture I posted!  Tabby, if you're reading this - thank you. :manyheart  

Back to laundry and crocheting.  With Zach here, I got behind on those orders!

Good morning.  It started way too early for me, but so it goes.  The gal who was going to take me to my regular doctor appointment this afternoon called to cancel on me.  The temp was -11* and her lungs can't handle the cold.  I'm going to try it on my own.  Went out and finished scraping most of the rest of the snow off the car, there's still some on the top but not a lot.  Warmed it up enough to melt the frost off most of the windows, at least enough to be able to see all around me.   I'll leave early and take it slow.  I need to see the doctor and get my meds all straightened out.  We're now aiming at the weekend of the 14th as my going back to the apartment date.  If the driving goes well today, that should be a very realistic goal. 

Cindy, GS had a melt down at school yesterday and came home early.  He took a 3 hour nap and went to bed early.  He hasn't slept well due to anxiety, which really was a contributing factor.  Then the language class went in a totally new direction and finished freaking him out.  His learning style is such that he has to figure out the relationships between words, not just straight memorization of definitions.  The way the rest of the kids were learning the words made no sense whatsoever to him and he couldn't block that out while doing it his way.  After sleeping he was able to do the assignment with mom.  He could understand that that was a way that worked for the other kids, but it totally made no sense to him.  He thought it was pretty sneaky that there was one definition that didn't get used at all.  DD made notes to forward to the teacher for going forward to hopefully make things easier.  What a day!  No TV, movies, or games for him yesterday. 

He did get to be read to at bedtime, and we finished the book I had been reading him.  We have now finished Another Fine Myth, and Myth Conceptions by Robert Asprin.  I have to retrieve the next one from my place.  I got him hooked with the 4th in the series which had some pictures in it.  Before we got it finished he had decided he wanted to go back to the beginning and read them all in order.  It is so much fun to watch him as the words form pictures in his head.  He may not get all the puns that are sprinkled through the books, but he has no problem at all with story lines and creatures from various worlds mixing all together.  It's so much fun sharing books I love with him.

It is very cold out there.  The snow goes crunch and creak as I walk on it.  My fingers are finally warming up from earlier. 

Marlene, I do so hope that MIL gets to have her say in court and that her son is squashed for trying to go around her and the rest of the family's backs to have his own way.  Saying prayers for all concerned.

Love the scarf, Judy.  I've made two of them except for the very finishing touches on both.  Of course, I can't find them now.  :P

Hope you all have a good day. :manyheart

Linda, I hope the driving goes well. I know you want to get back to your own place. Poor dgs, change plus lack of sleep, plus not getting the lesson at school, what a lot for a boy to deal with. Praying that he will have a much better day today.

Mary, I read that the flu vaccine was only 23% effective thus year...not sure how they figure that though. Seems like they wouldn't be able to guess at its efficacy until flu season is over. And WOW! Tabby...sure brings back memories.

Thanks for the comments on the scarf, ladies.

I had tried several videos and was so frustrated with them I gave up trying for a long time - then I recently found this video - and made it in one day.

I managed the drive to the doctor's office and back home.  The shoulder was really sore by the end of it, but it went okay.  Saw the doctor and had lab work done, then realized that the doctor hadn't ordered any meds for pain.  I was extremely upset, but asked for clarification and then protested.  Met with the doctor again, and we're going to try some different approaches and some different meds.  She had forgotten about the fact that the NSAIDS were the cause of the kidney failure and possibly of the GI bleed two and a half years ago.  Now that I have Medicare, there are some avenues open that weren't before.  Hopefully this will get all straightened  out in a positive way before too long.  Thanks for letting me vent.

GS had a much better day at school today and made it the whole day.  Yay!  He came home a lot happier today.  And the bus schedule is worked out so that DD doesn't had to take him and pick him up after today.  Another big plus. 

Morning, peeps!

Linda, we're here for you! You can vent any time. You've been through alot in the past two years.

Have to dash...

Will be tucking in ends on the RR I finished last night and will post a pic sometime today,

Have a good one my friends.

...And Tabby....please pop in and say hello.....

Archived