Our House Part Two

JulieKay

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning.  Oops!  Afternoon.  I am feeling at least halfway normal today.  Being able to eat and drink yesterday was a huge improvement.  The soup I made set well and seemed to settle my innards down.  And between Gatorade and water yesterday I'm finally rehydrated, too.   I've got 3 cheese potato mix cooking at the moment.  It's about half done.  I added sauteed onions and some summer sausage to it.  My milk had gone bad, so I substituted sour cream.  Not quite sure how that will affect it, but I think it will just be a bit thicker than normal, which is fine.

Talked to DD last night.  She was in an accident Sunday on the way home from church.  Skidded on the ice on an exit ramp and T-boned a truck.  The car is totaled.  GS is fine and DD is just somewhat stiff and sore.  The doctor checked them both out.  (Do I really want to go back up to that weather?)  The funny thing is that she's getting more for the car than she paid for it.  But, she has to look for a new one.  GS was belted in the back seat and she definitely wants that to continue.  I suggested she check with my brother, Gary, on makes and models.  He's got his own auto body shop and knows what ones have good reps and the things she wants.  She definitely wants a 4-door with large trunk space and one that doesn't regularly need lots of fixes.

Great to hear from you again, Val.  

Mary, I'm so glad the ice is almost gone and you can get out again.  Enjoy the GSs.

Cindy, your cookies sound scrumptious.  Not in my diet, but boy do they sound good.

My TV is still on the fritz and I'm getting very fed up with Comcast.  Their customer reps never pick up my calls no matter how long I wait.   :rant

Well housemates, it looks like I've went MIA again for a while :(  That being said, I didn't even read the back posts.  I feel like crap!  I got strep throat from somewhere over the weekend and I just knew it on Monday morning.  So, after my morning was over I went to the walk in health clinic in Walgreen's and I was right.  Started the antibiotic that night, which I think is giving me a rash now, but I'll keep applying the cortisone and let it run its course.  Now that that's kicked in I'm having a cold and my head feels like it wants to blow up.  But, I'm getting ready to leave the office and wanted to at least get in to say hello to you ladies :hug

I'll be back next week....

Hi Ladies,

Linda, Glad your feeling better! Glad DGS is okay and hope DD heals up real soon. Thanks for the info on your kidneys. This something new in are family except my bil who was on dialysis.

Marisa, Hope your feeling better. I was getting a cold last weekend with a some congestion and I picked up Mucus Relief and it helped a lot. How was your date last weekend?

Cindy, Your family is all going to be nice and warm this winter with all your crocheting. Your cookies sound good. Are neighbor brought us over a plate of goodies.

Mary, Luke is at the fun stage. Glad you get to babysit the boys today. Are main road was icy when we came home yesterday.

Judy, Hope Sparky ear is doing well.

Val, Glad you got your new modem.

Joanne, What are your plans this weekend?

We had burgers on the grill tonight for supper. They were good! It's been a long time since we've had one. Did facetime with Maya. She gets silly on facetime. She likes making faces. I spent the afternoon trying to get hubby's computer working. It's hooked up to an external monitor and it got disconnected last weekend when the kids were here. With a black screen on the laptop it was a chore and 2 afternoons. But I figured it out. Got some laundry done to.

Yesterday coming home I turned the lights from automatic to be on all the time. While I forgot when we got home and this morning hubby went out and the battery was dead. So we charged it. They have things so compact under the hood.

Were in for a snow storm tonight thru tomorrow. 2-5 inches.

Hope everyone has a nice warm weekend!

Hello everyone. It was a work day for me today. I started out on call, got called in around 9, but the patient didn't arrive until 3. It was fairly busy on the unit so I managed to keep busy. Tomorrow is Dh's family Christmas party. There will be a cookie exchange there. I baked cookies to share tonight and will make some for the exchange in the morning. The party is in the afternoon, followed by dinner out.

Marlene we are also supposed to get around 5 inches of snow tomorrow. We've got quite a bit already.

Linda glad you are feeling better.

Marisa, hope you feel better soon.

Judy, poor Sparky. We had a cocker spaniel that was prone to ear infections. We finally kept medicine on hand so we could start treating it right away. The infections were pretty easy to clear up.

Val, glad the details of the accident are working out.

Mary, I bet you are glad to be more or less thawed out. Ice is so much worse than snow.

Well, back to my crocheting.

Marlene, the biggest pain on the kidneys for me is the fact that most of the arthritis meds are a no-no now.  Sigh!   :(   The diet changes aren't too bad.  It's mostly a restriction on the total amount of protein I eat in a day.  Red meat is a no-no, but I still occasionally sneak in a small steak or burger.  Mostly it's pork, chicken, turkey, or fish.  Once I got used to that, it wasn't that bad.  And the amount that's allowed isn't too hard to adjust to for the most part.  Holiday bashes can be hard, but they're had in general if you're on a diet.

Most boss, Lily, called this morning and gave me the day off tomorrow, so I won't be going in until Wednesday.  I went to Hobby Lobby tonight looking for a specific shade of purple yarn and felt weak in the knees by the time I got there.  I did find something that will work, but also found out just how much this week has drained my reserves.  Instead of going to the grocery store, I just picked up milk at the convenience store.  Cost about twice as much, but I didn't have to walk that far to get it.  A good choice.  Hope you all have a good weekend.

Hi all!!  It's finally thawing out here.  The kids were out of school last Friday, Monday and Tuesday cause the side streets were so icy the buses couldn't run plus the very frigid temps.  I'm so ready for spring but then we'd have tornadoes--can't win for losing LOL.   We're supposed to get in the 60's next week but then on Friday the Polar Express comes back again the high will be 23 :(  and a chance of nasty snow/ice.  But we'll see how it plays out.

Got an owl potholder done tonight, it's for GS teacher (she collects owls).  Now I'm making one for DIL since she loves owls (and the dinosaur didn't work out, sigh).  DS & DIL are supposed to come next weekend--I'm so not ready.  Not even sure how we're going to do the Santa thing as they generally come after Christmas.  Will have to talk with DD to figure out how we can do it without spoiling the boys surprises.  Also got some different color blue yarn for DD's afghan and it's looking a lot better.  Probably won't have it done but it will won't take me long to finish it after Christmas (since I can work on it while the boys are around).

Read all the posts but can't remember everything. 

Our puppy, Missy, jumped off the couch last Saturday night and broke her leg :(  Scared me to death.  DD and DH took her to an Vet ER--won't be going there again (can't remember is I told ya'll this or not).  They wanted $1600 up front to do surgery.  We don't have that, so they referred us to--our old vet that we've used for years but he's out in the country and it's about 45 minutes to an hour drive--but when I called him, he told us to bring her in the next morning.  He xrayed it, showed them the xray and said he's not shattered, so he set it and put a cast on it--will go back in the morning to check the cast and get another xray to see if it's healing ok.  He probably won't even charge us $200.  She's doing great--running all over the house and getting into trouble.

Well, I'd better go and get to bed, since I have to get up early.  Have a great evening all!!  Hugs to all of you!!!

Happy Saturday!

Only have a little time, so will say,

Marisa, hope you feel better soon!!!! How's your sweater coming along?

Val- Glad that the insurance will take care of things and that you have anew modem so you can stop in to the house more often!

Sherry- Oh, my- what a scare that must of been. Happy to hear that Missy is now on the mend and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg!

Cindy- the cookie exchange sounds great!  Have fun

Marlene- Mmmm hamburgers on the grill makes me think of summer!!! YUM!

Linda- Glad you have the day off and can take it easy

Judy- Stay warm- the snow is here -just started a few minutes ago. I went out shopping last night to get my son-in-law's gift and then of course, stopped into this nice toy shoppe and picked up a couple more little things for the boys! I knew it would be snowing today and didn't want to have to deal with shopping! Hope sparky is on the mend quick- ear infections are not fun- for human or dog!

Mary- We're going to breakfast with Santa with DD, SIL and the boys this morning at their church. It'll be interesting to see the boys reaction to Santa and nice to have breakfast together. Then we're coming home to hunker down and I hope to crochet a bulky cowl for my DD (already made 1 for the oldest and middle,  just need the one for my youngest done) Then I will probably work on the knitted cowl for me.

Well, time for us to leave ---have a good day everyone!

'morning, peeps!

I have to take a look at Sparkie's ear this morning...he doesn't seem in much discomfort, but....

Sherry, we used to have a vet who was like your country doctor. Now it seems that it's all such a big business that there's no where to turn! I hope the pup heals quickly - for your sake :lol

Marisa! Aw, I'm so sorry you're sick. Feel better, hon :hug

Linda, yup.....you have to be careful when you do anything after being so ill - you're hydrated, but you need some protien to get to those muscles, I would think.

Cindy, I had a friend with a Cocker....those ears don't let anything breathe inside! Hard to keep them healthy.

Joanne, I think this morning is the perfect window for the Santa bkfst! Enjoy.

We have friends in Rockland County, NY - they should get 6-10 inches of snow. They already have their snow blower gassed up. :lol  We may only get a couple of inches.  It's the ice that will be dangerous, but we're all hunkered down. Chicken soup on the menu for today (Greek style ;))

Good morning. Snowing again here. Another 5 inches predicted, on top of what we already have. I'd guess there is at least 8 inches on the ground here already, (maybe more), and probably much more closer to the lake. It's also bitterly cold, and we have tons of birds hanging about the feeders and suet.

Joanne have fun at the meet Santa breakfast. I expect Ryan will be wide eyed with wonder. Robbie might be a bit young this year.

Judy, is ice predicted there? Last I looked we have ice predicted for Wed and Thurs, and for once I don't have anything planned for those days. I work Monday, and then I'm off for the weekend.

This afternoon we have a family Christmas party, and then we will be going out to dinner afterwards. I am bringing cookies, cheese and crackers and tortilla roll ups. I just have to bake 2 dozen cookies for a cookie exchange and I'll be all set. Cookie dough is already made, so baking will be practically no work,

Joanne, I'm about to begin another cowl, and I'll be trying your HDC one.

Good morning housemates,

It's a rainy Saturday here.  Hope all is well with everyone.

Linda - It's good to be back.  I'm glad you're feeling better and that your DD and GS didn't get hurt.  Seeing your DD and GS will make the weather worth it.  When were you planning to go back?

Marisa - So sorry you're not feeling well.  Praying you feel better soon.  How's your mom doing?

Mary - I'm sure you enjoyed time with your GSs.

Marlene - Those burgers sounds delicious.  I'm doing a 10 day detox of veggies and fruits.  I had to kick start my weight loss program.  I need to get some patterns off my old laptop but the screen is black.  What did you do to hubby's computer?

Cindy - Snow, no thanks.  We have 100% rain today and we're getting it.  Have fun this afternoon.

Sherry - So glad Missy is doing okay.

Joanne - I know you're going to enjoy your family today.  I would love to see pictures of your cowls.  What is your HDC cowl Cindy mentioned?

Judy - I hope Sparkie's ear clears up soon.  How's Lucy?

Going to pick up my nephew...I'll check back in later.

Had a fun time this morning! Robbie cried when put on Santa's lap, but Ryan was full of wonderment. He answered Santa when he talked to him and it was too cute!!! Other than when he was put on Santa's lap, Robbie was very good the whole morning. They had a magician (my GS too young for it, but we enjoyed it) All in all a very enjoyable time!!! Glad I cancelled my nail appointment to join them!!!

Val- The HDC cowl is Ch 78, do a row of HDC then join (so as not to twist). Keep going round and round- I did 4 rows of HDC, then 2 rows of HDC in BLO, then 4 more rows of HDC, 2 rows of HDC in BLO and 4 more rows of HDC. (total of 16 rows). I used Wool Ease Thick and Quick yarn and a P hook for the chain and N hook for the rest. They are very chunky cowls which is what my middle asked for. Figured I'd make each of the girls one since they go so quick.

it's snowing heavily now, so w are in for the remainder of the day. Good time to put the laundry on, and read, crochet, and knit!

Thanks Joanne for the pattern.  I think I will try this one.  I'm glad you had a great time with the family.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Forgot to mention that I join each round and ch 1 then hdc into next stitch. Almost done with #3!

Hi again.

Cindy, If the temp gets up to 32 as predicted, we may get rain or ice. It'll be a surprise in the morning...lol!

Linda, how is Dd feeling today?

Joanne I'm so happy you had such a nice morning with R&R!

Lucy is too funny ...she loves being outdoors. She lays out in the blowing snow and looks toward the house, waiting for someone to come out and play! Sparkle does his business and comes right back to the door! That's an 8 yo dog for you - at least our 8 yo (his b/day was yesterday, the 13)

Off I go. Stay cozy, everyone,

Another news flash: still snowing!

We went to the family Christmas party, but not out to dinner. Dh and I had decided that the weather was bad enough to skip dinner and everyone else agreed. We have gotten 4 or 5 inches today already, and we're supposed to get 4 more overnight and into tomorrow morning. Glad I have the weekend off.

My chunky cowl is about 1/3 done, I don't have enough yarn for 16 rows though, and it's yarn I've had for years so I have to make do with what I have. I think I might get 9 rows out of it. I started mine with 92 HDCs because I wanted to be sure it could be doubled if dd wanted to.

Well, off to read my book by the fire for a bit.

Like Judy said, it will be a surprise wht we wake up to tomorrow. Still snowing here but may change to rain or ice. We will have to see in the morning. Glad I don't have to go out in it.

Cindy. Enjoy sitting by the fire with a book

Have a good night everyone.

Val, I purchased a VGA cord at Walmart. One end hooks on the laptop and the other the external monitor (if you don't have a monitor check your tv and it may hook up to that). If hooked up to another monitor you need to change the settings. Mine is a vista. If yours is right click on the screen--you get a pop up window select personalize--click on display settings--my number 1 screen is highlighted--

1. multiple monitors

this is checked  this is my main monitor

this is checked  extend the desktop

click on apply 

and it should go right over to the other monitor.

If you have a HDTV change the settings from hdtv to rga (it's the same as vga) but remember to put it back on hdtv and that will go according to if your hd cable is plugged into 1,2, or 3. Then follow the steps above.

With the screen being black on your old one. I have an app on my iPhone for a flashlight (I love it) I used that then went to start to control panel do personalization and through the above steps the first time I hooked it up.

If you need more assistance leave a message here and on facebook to. You never know where I will be first.

Hi Ladies,

Linda, The only thing the doctor told my Ma the other day was she should lose some weight. Nothing about any foods. I'm going to mention what you said to her. She don't go back until March. Take it easy and don't over do.

Judy, Are daisy is liking playing in the snow to. Sometimes it's a quick trip out and sometimes it's not.

Joanne, It would be fun having breakfast with Santa and the family. I never did that with the kids or grandkids.

Sherry, Glad your pup is healing and it didn't cost you a small fortunate.

Cindy, You have a lot more snow than we do. I don't know what we got today but it has been snowing here all day. But we didn't have a lot before today. You are much closer to the lakes than we are. To bad the weather put a damper on your family dinner plans.

Today hubby decided to take part of the guts out of the inside of the toilet tank. He doesn't get the new one and look at or bother to read the directions first. I said something to him about it. He says I know what I'm doing and I don't need your help. So I walked out and shut the bathroom door. I should of timed him to see how long it took before he decided he needed help. The toilet works but it is not flushing properly now. Men!!

Hi Ladies. :)   I've just read through posts and won't try to respond tonight.  We only had about an hours sleep last night due to the neighbor's alarm going off for hours.  They are out of town and the police came, but they are sure it is a faulty system. :reyes

I must be having saltine withdrawal after the thousands I made. :lol   I have all the colors of Vanna's for a 'Trip Around the World' cuddle 'gahn in rainbow colors!

But here is the most important news!  Our Judy :manyheart is having a birthday tomorrow! 

:cake Happy Birthday, Judy! :cake

Hi, all.  I almost forgot to check in today.  Went over to Rosie and John's this afternoon.  Took John some books, we watched the movie "the Descendents" with George Clooney, which I had picked up recently.  I had heard it was good and it is.  But I don't know how I would categorize it.  And I can't say much about it without giving things away.  I told Rosie, "it has more twists to it than a snake," and she agreed.

Val, I am thinking about moving up to Iowa next summer when my lease on the apartment runs out the end of July.  Some days I'm sure I want to do it and others, especially those with cold temps and reports of snow and ice up there, I'm sure I don't want to leave the South.n  Time will tell on this decision.

Sherry, I'm so glad that your pup didn't need that super expensive surgery and that she's going to town with the cast.

All of you up North, please, stay safe in all the ice and snow.   :ghug

Hi Ladies. :)   I've just read through posts and won't try to respond tonight.  We only had about an hours sleep last night due to the neighbor's alarm going off for hours.  They are out of town and the police came, but they are sure it is a faulty system. :reyes

I must be having saltine withdrawal after the thousands I made. :lol   I have all the colors of Vanna's for a 'Trip Around the World' cuddle 'gahn in rainbow colors!

But here is the most important news!  Our Judy :manyheart is having a birthday tomorrow! 

:cake Happy Birthday, Judy! :cake

Morning peeps!!

Thank you all for the Birthday wishes....I got one wish. We're not housebound today so will be able to join DS for an early dinner later today! And our neighbor took care of the snow left at the base of our driveway after the plows sped through last night. The roads are clear! :yay:clap

Marlene, I get that irritable stuff from DH when he is trying to do something he's never done before. I also leave... :lol :lol :lol

Joanne, I haven't figured out how to use the emoticons from my iPad, either! ;)

Have a great day my friends!

Archived