Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Hello friends. I had a pleasant but busy day at work today. It's been snowing steadily since yesterday afternoon here, with no signs of it letting up. There was freezing drizzle in the forecast overnight too, but that didn't start until I was halfway to work.

Marlene, your family sure is having a bad year. Hope that they can sort out your hubby's issues quickly, and that everyone else gets the treatment they need.

Joanne, thanks for telling me about your cowl. That is similar to the headband I made last week. A row of post stitches here and there make quite an impact.

It's supposed to keep snowing here until Thursday, and temperatures are predicted to be below freezing into the first of the new year. We might have a white Christmas this year.

Well, I'm off to do something about dinner.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took time away from my iPad to make a hook case for my goddaughter - the hooks I gave her I handed to her in a plastic zip lock bag I had :lol

I was gifted a crocheted case a long time ago and used that as a template. The cotton yarn I used is Peaches and Cream in Black Cherry. I used gauzy ribbon to tie it shut.

post-8552-0-94304900-1386632911_thumb.jpg

Hi Ladies,

This morning I checked the prescription the VA gave hubby for his heart. The first side effect is headache. If anyone can have headaches it's hubby. He had one again today. Are doctor apt wasn't until late so he took a nap. The doctor wants him to have a heart cath before we go to Texas. It will be a miracle if it happens. He left the room to call a cardiac doctor. When we left he said to expect a call for an appt. His office takes a week or more to get back with you with an appt, so I won't hold my breathe. He told him to discontinue the medicine.

I hope everyone has a nice Tuesday!

Thanks, Marlene and Cindy. It was fun making it!

Marlene, I hope your hubby gets everthing sorted out. It gets so hard dealing with all the meds, side effects, etc.

Well, snow is falling and even though we're only supposed to get a few inches I expect my hair salon to call and cancel my ten o'clock appt.

Whatever.....

Have a good one my friends!

Judy, the hook case is lovely.

Marlene, I'm glad the doctor discontinued the medicine.  Hopefully that will fix the headaches.

Cindy, stay safe in the snow.  You too, Judy.

We continue to have grey skies, rain, wind, and colder temps.

Hi House. :)   The sun is out! :cheer   Yesterday didn't get out of the 20s - the majority of the ice is still in our neighborhood, but a lot should melt today!  No sanding or plows on side streets in Texas. :no   I have a grocery list made just in case we can get out of the driveway by this afternoon. :lol

Judy ~ Love the hook case! :clap   The yarn/colors are just perfect. :yes   I hope you're able to get your hair cut today.

Marlene ~ Yes, we definitely need to say prayers that 2014 is a better year.  You have had so much this year - you are one strong lady. :hug  :manyheart

A big "HI" to the rest of the house, too.

I've been busy helping DH finish up work things since he will be retiring soon.  He needs 'my eyes' more and more, but we're going to be fine. :)

Well, the salon called...as the heaviest of the snow was falling...and my stylist was going to come in if I was, but she lives further away than I do so I told them I would reschedule. It was the worst time. Now would have been perfect. Oh, well. The pups and I had fun in the white stuff instead!

Hi all,

The worst of the snow was in the morning like Judy mentioned. I got to work around 7:20 and it wasn't snowing- by 7:30 it was coming down like crazy! I ended up deciding to leave at 12:30 so I could get home without 'rush hour' traffic and also shovel the driveway. It's basically stopped now, but the temps are going to freeze tonight- glad I got the driveway and steps shoveled and I also wrapped the Christmas gifts!

Marlene Hope that DH can get the cath done before TX- keeping him and you in my prayers

Judy- Cute hook case! Your GD is going to love it! Speaking of hair appointments-I got a call from my long time hairdresser- she and a couple of the others at the shop I've been going to have left the salon and gone to another one- in Jamesburg. Needless to say, I'm not traveling to Jamesburg- especially since the new place is a 'spa' so I'm sure the prices are going to be ridiculous!  I will need to find somewhere else to go. It was convenient going to her especially since the salon was minutes away from DD so I'd usually get a visit in with the grandsons! I'm due for a cut/color by the end of the month. A friend at work gave me the name of her hairdresser but it's not close either!

Mary- Glad to hear that you may finally get out of the house!

Cindy, Linda, Val, Marisa and all- hope you are having a good Tuesday. I could get used to this working 1/2 day ! LOL

Joanne, changing hairdressers is almost as bad as trying to find a new doctor! My salon is on route 34 here in Aberdeen, next to the Strathmore bowling alley and the Hobby Shop. Not close to you either, but if you're stuck I can get the info to you.

Hi Ladies,

Hubby didn't have a headache today and no new medicine either. We did get a call this afternoon and we have an appt at 10:30 tomorrow morning. I hope the roads are good because it is probably close to 1 1/2 hours in good weather and it has snowed here all day and tomorrow to. Thursday we have to go back for a full day of appts to. And it's suppose to be another snowy day.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Good morning. It's been snowing here since Subday, and it's supposed to continue pretty much all week. It took me 90 minutes to drive home from work yesterday. (It's about 12 miles.). I went out for my bone density scan already this morning and stopped at the grocery store on my way home for cookie baking supplies. That's what I plan to do today. I also picked up quart canning jars to make hot cocoa mix for gifts.

I'm off today and tomorrow. Our church youth group is putting on a fund raising dinner tonight but I expect that it will be cancelled. Their dinners are usually really good, but if this snow keeps falling, we will stay home, regardless of whether it is. nacelles or not.

Marlene, wishing you safe travels to your appointments. Are you coming into Grand Rapids? Good news regarding hubby's headaches.

Joanne, when I read that you left work early, I was thinking that you couldn't have done that very easily in the other job. Glad you had a good afternoon. Good luck finding a new hairdresser. I wear my hair in a very simple bob with just a bit of layering. I just go to Great Clips, and I've never had a bad cut there. If I colored my hair, I might feel differently though!

I wrapped all the Christmas gifts that I've bought this far. It took me quite a while, but I'm so glad that's done. Towards the end dh came down and helped. I've actually cut back a bit on Christmas, but I fill stockings and I wrap everything that I put in them. The boys are each getting a toy, a book and something clothing related. Last year I must have bought them at least twice as many things. I suspect that they will actually enjoy the toy more if it's the only thing they have to concentrate on.

Good morning.  It's cold and got very cold overnight (25*), but at least there's not even a hint of a breeze which helps tremendously.   It was 37* when I took Sweet Pea outside.

I got the flu on Sunday and am just beginning to recuperate.  Yesterday was the first I was able to eat or drink much of anything since Sunday afternoon.  Am feeling better today, but obviously no work today or tomorrow.  Stomach is still very touchy.  The other end, too.   :P   I called Lily yesterday about 6:00pm and she told me not to worry and just rest.  If I needed anything to call.  They are so good to me.  I'm set food-wise and drink-wise.  Still have some Gaitoraide from the last time.   :reyes   At least I got one down yesterday and it helped.  Also a little cheese and some oatmeal with honey by evening.

Cindy, I'm glad you are in for the day.

Everyone out in the snow &/or ice, please, be very careful.   :hug

Hi Ladies,

Roads weren't to bad going this morning. I only hope tomorrow is the same. The heart doctor is right on the ball. Hubby had an echocardiogram today at the doctors office. Next Wednesday we go to the hospital for his heart cath. There going to try it through the arm (hubby's sister had it done that way) if it works they will do it that way. If not then through the groin. Then back on the 22nd for the results. But we will pretty much know next Wednesday if they find anything. They said if they did they would fix it then.

Cindy, We had to go to Okemos for the doctors appt. Enjoy your time off. What kind of cookies did you make? I'm hoping I can find the time somewhere to bake and pack.

Linda, Sorry you've been sick! Hope your back to yourself real soon. :hug

Joanne, It's been a long time since we've heard you say you were going home early. Glad you were able to.

It's going to be very cold tonight down around 5. I need to go open the kitchen sink cupboards and the bathroom cupboards.

Stay warm everyone!

Good morning,

Marlene- Glad to hear that you didn't have too much bad weather and were able to get to DH's appointment ok. Will be thinking positive thoughts for next Wed when he has his cath done.

Linda- Gentle hugs- hope you are on the mend- the flu is not fun- glad you are resting.

Judy- Thanks for the offer of the hairdresser info. I've got a few weeks before I'll have to decide something. How's your knitting coming along? I made 2 cowls  (with wool ease thick and quick) and last night I worked a little on the knitted cowl with the Ella Rae Seasons yarn. I still have one more chunky cowl to make but was in the mood for a little pointystick time last evening.

Mary- Is Luke getting excited for Christmas? He's at a great age. Ryan still doesn't understand all that is going on. We have breakfast with Santa on Sat morning at DD's church- it'll be interesting to see his reaction to Santa.

Cindy- Were you able to make it to the dinner or did the snow keep you in. enjoy your day off today!

I went to the Vera Bradley store last night. I had gotten a coupon for 50% off  one item, 20% off the rest good Dec 10/11 and of course the 10th it snowed so didn't venture out. It was crowded--but worth it. I picked up a few gifts for very good prices. Some things were already 30% off!

Off to get ready for another day at work. Have a good one!

Morning peeps.

Joanne my knitting is coming along. Slowly ....I do a few rows at a time. I'm also making small crocheted squares to add to some that a lady gave me.

Linda I'm so happy to hear that you're taking it easy. I hope you're back to 100% very quickly!

Not much happening here otherwise. Have a good day my friends.

Good morning. As Marlene said, it's been very cold here. It doesn't look like too much more snow fell overnight either. We did end up going to the dinner last night and we went over to check on the inlaws. In this weather they don't venture out, so I wanted to make sure that they had everything they needed.

Marlene, sending good thoughts for hubby's heart cath. Hope they can go through the arm.

Linda, hope you are feeling better today.

I've been working on a neck warmer for my son in law. It shouldn't take long, but it's boring! In between I knit on one of the two scarves that I have going.

Yesterday I made what we call M and M cookies, from a recipe that dd got from a friend when she was in grade school. (Not sure if that is what they were originally called) It's a peanut butter oatmeal cookie that does not contain any flour and it is one of our favorites. I also made pretzel turtles, (found on Pinterest). They are super easy. Today I'm going to mix up ginger cookies, but I probably won't bake them until Friday night or Saturday.

More gift wrapping today. Dh's gift arrived yesterday, and I want to get it warped before he accidentally sees it.

I got distracted while I was typing this, and it notice that it has started snowing again. I was kind of hoping to not have to drive on snowy roads when I go to work tomorrow.

Hi Ladies,

We met my Mom this morning for her appt with the kidney doctor. They classify her has chronic kidney disease stage 3. I heard that at the checkout window. Her right kidney is smaller than the left one but not significantly. Her kidneys are working 30% most of the time but sometimes up to 40%. They should up around 60%. She doesn't remember having kidney or uti infections which can damage the kidneys. There going to do a nuclear scan. He increased her vitamin D without checking it first. She has no discomfort at all. They found this in a blood test. He said taking ibuprofen and meds like them can cause this or even pain meds. Which she has taken all of them through out the years.

I went for my eye exam and spent way to long picking out a pair of glasses. But while there I talked to one the girls there forever. You would think we knew each other. It happen about because the paperwork asked about surgeries. I said I had my gallbladder removed. The doctor asked me if I minded if he shared that with one of his patients and I said no. He asked about it. How long I was out of work how I felt. Later he brought his employee over to introduce her, but we remember each other from years ago when I was a patient there. She is scared of the surgery, don't want to be off of work. They said her test showed some funny stuff around the gallbladder. They even called her the day after the test and wanted her in the next day to remove it. She's been putting it off. They called her early this week to come in and she wouldn't go, so they called her yesterday and told her she had to come in today. I told her if you let it go it can kill you. That is what they told my niece who tried to put hers off at this time of the year. So she said she would go today and she was due to leave shortly after I did. I told her I will call her and see if she went. She also brought up she doctors back in my hometown. I asked her if she was from there. She wasn't  but grew up in another city not far away and where my cousins grew up. She didn't know them but gave me some names of cousins and it turns out she was related to my cousins ex husband and knew of my cousins name. Some how that led us to talking about where I lived when I was real little by my grandparents. She is related to my grandmas neighbor and I have to ask my mom but I think that neighbor was my grandmas cousin. It really is a small world. That young lady is scared to because she lost her dad 3 months ago to esophageal cancer. Her parents are divorced and her mother lives here by me on a lake.

We got home before the snow got to bad. Hubby's appts were canceled. Well I've rattled enough. I hope everyone is doing great!

I am feeling a lot better today.  Made up a batch of creamy wild rice soup this morning.  Only took about a half an hour to make and dined on it off and on all day long.  It tasted good and settled on my stomach well.  Then a friend dropped me off some more Gaterade after prayer shawl group so I'm doing good there, too.  

Marlene, they found my chronic kidney failure through a blood test, too.  They figured that the damage was caused by over 30 years of NSAIDs (aspirin, Ibuprofen, naprosen, etc.) used to treat my arthritis.  Mine are at about 30-35%, but controlled pretty well through diet and no more NSAIDs.  And I've been doing pretty well for about 9 years now, so it's not a death sentence yet by any means.  It usually doesn't show up on the blood work until they're down to 40% or less.

Hello housemates,

When it rains, it pours.  I haven't been back because our modem went out and we just got the new one yesterday afternoon.  I tried to log on and couldn't even remember my user name.  I was just getting ready to go to bed and it came to me so I thought I'd check in. 

My car is not totaled, thank God.  I'll be driving it until it won't drive anymore.  The other person did give me the information I needed and her insurance company is taking care of everything...reimbursing me for the rental car we'd gotten. 

All is well here.  I didn't read so I hope all is well with the House.

See you later today.

Good morning. I got to be on call today. For once it meant that I could sleep in because I am only on call for a very specific patient diagnosis, and it would be an hour or more from the time we heard about the patient until he or she arrived on the unit. However, I couldn't get back to sleep after the phone rang, so here I am.

I finished a neck warmer for my son in law last night, and did most of the rest of my Christmas shopping online. I just need to hit the dollar store for stocking stuffers for our grandsons. In their minds, quantity still trumps quality, and their mom likes them to get disposable toys. If I don't go to work today, I plan to either make mittens or make a neck warmer for ds. Everyone else will get something handmade, except him if I don't.

Well, dh is up, so I guess I'll go get ready for the day.

Good Morning, everyone.  We're finally almost thawed out - but still have shady areas of thick ice.  It's been a long week. :yes

Marlene ~ I was so glad to read that your DH will be able to have the procedure sooner than expected. :hug   I hope you are both doing okay. :manyheart

Hi Valerie!  It's always hard to deal with all the details following an accident, but good news that the other person has insurance!  How is everyone in your family?  Yay for a new modem!

Cindy ~ Your cookies all sound yummy. :)  It sounds like you're about ready for Christmas. :yes  I've done my shopping online this year, too.

Linda ~ I'm so glad you're feeling better. :hug   Good for you for resting and not overdoing.

Judy ~ Looking forward to seeing your knitting project.  How are 'the children?' :)

Joanne ~ Yes, Luke is definitely ready for Santa this year. :lol   He's told me on the phone his list for Santa at least 6 times. ;)   I'm babysitting today for the first time since the ice storm - can't wait to see them!  Congrats on the great finds at Vera Bradley!

Hi to anyone I've missed. :)    

'morning peeps!

Hi, Mary! The furples are doing well, thank goodness -  though Sparkie has an ear that looks icky and is sore but luckily I found some of his ear meds I thought I had already used up - so if it continues we'll be doing that course of treatment for 10 days. That's almost a normal situation for him.

Luke sounds so precious!

Linda, I'm so glad you're doing better!

Hi, Val! I often get my best thoughts as I'm starting to fall asleep :lol

Cindy, you're really getting thigns done! Good for you!

Well, I'll be heading for my hair appt soon - was able to reschedule it for today - she came in early to get to everyone. Touch up and a slight trim - nothing crazy.

BBL!

Archived