Our House Part Two

JulieKay

morning peeps!

Linda, did you read the Hunger Games trilogy? I did, after the first one was our book club selection one month. Couldn't put them down! DH won't go see the movie, so either I phone a friend or wait for On Demand.

Joanne, I'm looking forward to stopping in at that yarn store! Thanks for the review.

My goddaughter is home for Thankksgiving and is looking forward to sitting on the couch with me witha  cup of tea so I can teach her new crochet stitches :D  :D  :D  I am beside myself :lol

Here's the latest toddler hat (minus the ribbon I wove through the bottom and into the flower. I posted it on FB but I kow some here don't go on there.

post-8552-0-75388200-1385212407_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

morning peeps!

Linda, did you read the Hunger Games trilogy? I did, after the first one was our book club selection one month. Couldn't put them down! DH won't go see the movie, so either I phone a friend or wait for On Demand.

No, I haven't.  But after seeing the movie they are now on my wish list.

Joanne, I'm looking forward to stopping in at that yarn store! Thanks for the review.

My goddaughter is home for Thankksgiving and is looking forward to sitting on the couch with me witha  cup of tea so I can teach her new crochet stitches :D  :D  :D  I am beside myself :lol

Oh, what fun!!!

Here's the latest toddler hat (minus the ribbon I wove through the bottom and into the flower. I posted it on FB but I kow some here don't go on there.

It's adorable, Judy.

It's chilly, but not too cold just yet.  It's supposed to get below freezing this weekend though.  Last night I set up my treadmill and walked 4/10 of a mile on it.  Didn't feel like walking outside with Sweet Pea in the rain.  It's dusty, but still works.  That's going to be my go-to for exercise when it's too cold or nasty outside.  Makes me glad that I didn't get rid of it when I moved.  With the docs wanting more exercise out of me, that seems to be my best bet.  And I'm just not into being cold.   :P 

It's off to work in an hour and I still have some things to do, so this will be a quick one.  Hope you all have a great Saturday with some "me" time fit into the schedule.  I'll catch you all later.   :manyheart 

Hi Ladies,

Linda, Sounds like you found some great deals at Goodwill. It's really nice of you to think of Andrea and make some gluten free items.

Cindy, Enjoy your dinner tonight and your company. We came to Maya's so I don't know if we have snow at home or not. But we did get some here this morning.

Joanne, How nice to have a LYS close by and it be crochet friendly. We will be coming to Maya's for Thanksgiving dinner. I will be making it here. She has to go to work that night at 7.

Mary, Hope that shot helps DH. Hope the lawyer settles things up for you quickly.

Judy, How exciting to have some crocheting time with your GD. The hat is beautiful!.

Sherry, It's turned really cold here this weekend to. Are highs are only in the mid 20's. I see it's only in the 40's where we go in Texas. Hope you don't end up with that cold. You have a quiet weekend this weekend with the GSs around. I bet they will miss it to.

Maya's dad asked for chocolate chip cookies, so I brought the stuff with me and made them yesterday. He showed me an app for my iPhone for free music downloads. I had fun with that last night. I'll be checking out are cassette tapes and adding more songs.

I was looking for the new crochet world magazine and seen they added an afghan calendar to it for 10.00 for both. I didn't buy but I my go back and get it. I looked on the website and the calendar isn't even mentioned.

We went out for dinner last night to Mexican restaurant. It was delicious!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Stay warm!

Hi House. :)

Judy ~ Another darling hat!  :c9   Your color choices are always great.  You and your goddaughter are so lucky to have eachother...she sounds like a wonderful young lady!

Linda ~ I've been hearing lots of good things about the movie. :yes   My treadmill needs to be used more, too.  Gracie goes nuts when I'm on it and it's in an open loft, so I can't close the door. :lol

Sherry ~ Yay for being so close to finishing both afghans. :clap   Tomorrow and Monday ought to be interesting if the weather man is right...100% chance of an ice storm!  We're prepared just in case.

Joanne ~ Sending an early "Happy Birthday" to your DH. :)  

Cindy ~ Great news that you have a week off from work!  How many will you have for Thanksgiving?  For the first time ever, we are eating out.  DD's MIL and FIL have invited all of us to a beautiful private club downtown.  I'm already having withdrawal symptoms over not cooking, so I think I'll buy a small turkey and cook for us next weekend. :yes

Marlene ~ It sounds like you're having a good time this weekend!  I had an email this a.m. from a friend who is at Port Aransas this week - pretty cold and windy on the beach!

Has anyone heard from Valerie?  I miss her!  I'm not on facebook or twitter, so I may be missing some news.

We're staying in with a fire and I've made 8 small loaves of bread for neighbor gifts.  I'll make more tomorrow and they'll be in the freezer until it's time to deliver them.  Have a good afternoon, everyone. :manyheart

thanks, ladies!

And Mary, yes, Alyson is wonderful - she's a very thoughtful, charitable and empathetic young woman. Last year she wrote me the sweetest note about how grateful and happy she was to have me for her godmother. I was so touched I almost cried.

Stay warm everyone...it's bitter cold already - tomorrow is supposed to be worse! Even for me it sounds like a day to stay home (after a quick run to Delicious Orchards).

Have a good night my friends.

I'm HOME!  We had a very, very busy day at work.  I was on my feet almost the entire time.  And my highest sales ever!  Items for Christmas gifts were flying out the door.  And lots of circular scarves, too.

I've walked Sweet Pea and now I just want to sit and relax.  It's a lot colder tonight than it was this morning.  The wind is cutting.  Brrr!  Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.   :manyheart

Hello ladies. Bitterly cold here this evening with snow off and on.

Busy day here today, did some cleaning, dinner prep, ran errands and brought a load of stuff to DD's new house. We had new friends over for dinner, and they just left. We had a great evening with them. Lots of good food, wine and conversation. Tomorrow will be a lot calmer.

Linda, those circular scarves sure are popular. I have bought myself a couple, and I'm planning to make one for each of my DD's for Christmas.

Judy, everything you've said about your god daughter in the past has always left me with the impression that she is a lovely young woman. Her learning to crochet is a nice compliment to you.

Mary, I haven't seen Val on Facebook lately, which is unusual. Hope she's okay. I thought I read somewhere that Texas may be seeing snow this weekend. Keep warm!

HI all,

Oh, boy, it's cold out there! :wbrr We lost our power last night- and thankfully it came back on in about an hour- maybe a little longer. There was no reason for it that I know of- no storms or anything!  We had plenty of candles and lanterns in our 'emergency kit' from Hurricane Sandy so at least we could see and the house never really got cold. We were all set to go to DD's if it lasted too long, though!

Judy- How fun that Alyson wants to crochet with you!!! BTW, love the hat! I keep hoping that one of these days, one of my DD's will take an interest in it. Stay warm! I have to head to the grocery store, and am doing that early then I'm staying in the rest of the day.

Cindy- Sounds like the dinner party was a success. Enjoy your much needed day of calm with nothing on the agenda!

Linda- Glad you had a great day of sales!!! And that you are HOME!!! I love infinity scarves! And I bought yarn at the LYS to make another- probably will end up giving it to one of my DD's. And may try and make 2 more so all three get one. I'm not putting any pressure on myself though. I still didn't finish DH's scarf but hope to get it done today. I hope he likes it--I'll show it to him this morning!

Mary- I sure hope the weathermen are wrong and you don't get an ice storm. Those are the worst!!! I'll pass on your birthday wishes to DH--can't believe he's 60 today!

Marlene-  It sure does sound like a good weekend that you are having.

Marisa- Can't wait to hear about how Friday went!

Sherry- Sounds like you've made great progress on the afghans!!! WTG!!!!! Hope you are enjoying your weekend and letting some of the stress from work go for a few days. I know, easier said than done.

Well, I think I should get off the computer and get ready to brave the cold and head to the grocery store. Since they are forecasting some nasty weather before Thanksgiving, it'll probably be more crowded than usual so I'd rather beat the crowds!

Have a good day everyone! And Go Giants!

'morning, peeps! It's :wgrin   :wbrr here this morning! The wind chill is about 8 degrees. I have to admit  it's a tad colder than even I like it! :wlol

I'm HOME!  We had a very, very busy day at work.  I was on my feet almost the entire time.  And my highest sales ever!  Items for Christmas gifts were flying out the door.  And lots of circular scarves, too.Wonderful to hear that! Also makes the day go faster...hope your old quilt is keeping you warm and cozy,

I've walked Sweet Pea and now I just want to sit and relax.  It's a lot colder tonight than it was this morning.  The wind is cutting.  Brrr!  Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.   :manyheart

Hello ladies. Bitterly cold here this evening with snow off and on.

Busy day here today, did some cleaning, dinner prep, ran errands and brought a load of stuff to DD's new house. We had new friends over for dinner, and they just left. We had a great evening with them. Lots of good food, wine and conversation. Tomorrow will be a lot calmer.
I'm so happy to hear the dinner went so well! It's hard going out of our ususal cirle of friends. Kuddos to you!
Linda, those circular scarves sure are popular. I have bought myself a couple, and I'm planning to make one for each of my DD's for Christmas.

Judy, everything you've said about your god daughter in the past has always left me with the impression that she is a lovely young woman. Her learning to crochet is a nice compliment to you.Aw....thanks :blush 

Mary, I haven't seen Val on Facebook lately, which is unusual. Hope she's okay. I thought I read somewhere that Texas may be seeing snow this weekend. Keep warm!

HI all,

Oh, boy, it's cold out there! :wbrr We lost our power last night- and thankfully it came back on in about an hour- maybe a little longer. There was no reason for it that I know of- no storms or anything!  We had plenty of candles and lanterns in our 'emergency kit' from Hurricane Sandy so at least we could see and the house never really got cold. We were all set to go to DD's if it lasted too long, though!Yikes! I was concerned about our area and the trees still left after Sandy. So happy it came back!!

Judy- How fun that Alyson wants to crochet with you!!! BTW, love the hat!Thanks! I keep hoping that one of these days, one of my DD's will take an interest in it.You never know.... Stay warm! I have to head to the grocery store, and am doing that early then I'm staying in the rest of the day.Good thing the Giants game is during the day today! Wow - it's going to be interesting! Happy Birthday to DH, the young guy!

Cindy- Sounds like the dinner party was a success. Enjoy your much needed day of calm with nothing on the agenda!

Linda- Glad you had a great day of sales!!! And that you are HOME!!! I love infinity scarves! And I bought yarn at the LYS to make another- probably will end up giving it to one of my DD's. And may try and make 2 more so all three get one. I'm not putting any pressure on myself though. I still didn't finish DH's scarf but hope to get it done today. I hope he likes it--I'll show it to him this morning!

Mary- I sure hope the weathermen are wrong and you don't get an ice storm. Those are the worst!!! I'll pass on your birthday wishes to DH--can't believe he's 60 today!

Marlene-  It sure does sound like a good weekend that you are having.

Marisa- Can't wait to hear about how Friday went!

Sherry- Sounds like you've made great progress on the afghans!!! WTG!!!!! Hope you are enjoying your weekend and letting some of the stress from work go for a few days. I know, easier said than done.

Well, I think I should get off the computer and get ready to brave the cold and head to the grocery store. Since they are forecasting some nasty weather before Thanksgiving, it'll probably be more crowded than usual so I'd rather beat the crowds!

Have a good day everyone! And Go Giants!

Well, I found out how Alyson got into crocheting. She's in an a capella singing group at Syracuse, called the Mandarins. One girl in the group has already been crocheting for a while and she was telling the girls what a great stress reliever it was (we know it can be otherwise at times, but I won;t tell GD that :lol )  Anyway, when her mom showed up before a singing program to see her in her room she found several girls sitting on the floor of her room crocheting, a Christmas movie playing on the TV. Shocked isn't the word - though when her mom proudly told the elsest DD (25 or so and a hairdresser/make up artist) she said "how embarrassing". THat one doesn't get it, obviously. Anyway, that's the story!

Stay warm my friends and have a good day! :hug  :manyheart

Like most of you, it's really cold out today.  Not as cold as up North, but still way too cold for comfort down here in the South.  Walking Sweet Pea was no picnic this morning that's for sure.  I've got several crochet projects to work on, including the repair job for Andrea.  I'm getting down to the wire on that one.

Stay warm, if possible.   :manyheart   Have a great Sunday.   :ghug

It sounds like many of us are enjoying staying inside today!  We've had a little rain and sleet and they're warning people to stay off bridges and overpasses...the worst is supposed to come tonight and early tomorrow.  We'll see!

Linda ~ Yay for lots of shoppers at your store!  Have a good day crocheting. :yes

Cindy ~ I hope you're relaxing today. :)   Your dinner with new friends sounds really nice!

Joanne ~ Oh, so glad your power came back on quickly!

Judy ~ A few of us crocheted in our dorm once in a while.  Even then, it was a good diversion from exams, etc.  I can't remember what I made then...it was only 45 years ago. :lol

Hi to the rest of the House, too! :manyheart

Time to fold laundry and then crochet by the fire...Have a good afternoon!

Hi again.  I just saw on the news that Oklahoma City has had 13 inches of snow! :eek   Sherry, I hope you all are safe and warm. :manyheart

We just had a little bit of sleet/rain today with more predicted for early morning.

I've gotten to the half-way point of another scarf this afternoon. :yes   Have a good evening, friends. ♥♥♥ 

Hi again.  I just saw on the news that Oklahoma City has had 13 inches of snow! :eek   Sherry, I hope you all are safe and warm. :manyheart

We just had a little bit of sleet/rain today with more predicted for early morning.

I've gotten to the half-way point of another scarf this afternoon. :yes   Have a good evening, friends. ♥♥♥ 

what!!!??? :snow   13 inches!!!!???

Oops - we just saw our local news...the 13" was west of Ok. City - I hope Sherry didn't get that much!

We had a wonderful dinner and I'm going to crochet some more.  Back to the "real" world tomorrow. ;)

Hi Ladies,

It's cold here and is suppose to be all week. Thirteen inches of snow doesn't sound like much fun unless your a snow plow driver. Hope Sherry and family are snuggled in a nice warm home.

Joanne, Glad the electric wasn't out to long. Happy Birthday to  your DH!

Linda, Tis the season to be busy. Glad you have today to recoup.

Mary, You'll miss having leftovers Thursday, but you'll have lots of good company. Really nice of DD's in-laws to invite you and DH to join them.

Cindy, Enjoy your week off. There was no sign of any snow here when we got home.

Judy, Stay warm!

Hope everyone has a nice Monday!

It is COLD!!!  I know.  It's not as bad as up North.  But I Am Cold!  :wcold It will be down in the mid-20s by morning!  :eek YUCK!    :yuck  We are between 15 & 20 degrees below normal.  This is January weather.  And they are calling for possible sleet tomorrow night, followed by 1 to 4.25 inches of rain and more cold weather to go with it.  We aren't supposed to get up to normal temps for at least a week.  Noooooo!

I sure hope that Sherry and her family are okay.  That's serious snow.

I have two prayer shawls started today.  One is my standard quickie that uses Homespun & the other is one of the Celtic Knot shawls.  I haven't done one in a long time, and it just feels right to do one now.  When I get this kind of urge it usually means that it's going to be needed by someone special soon. :shrug  I've learned not to ignore those urges.  The red one I made in fancy yarn had a home before I even finished it.  Didn't even get a picture of it before it was grabbed.

Mary, please stay safe with this weird weather.   :hug 

Stay safe and warm everyone.   :ghug 

Hi all!!  We just got about 1/2 inch of sleet, which isn't great, I'd rather have snow.  The 12 to 13 inches of snow was to the west of us.  Now we're supposed to get some more sleet or freezing rain this morning.  We stayed in ALL weekend.  I haven't felt too great--probably a cold I caught from someone at work that wouldn't go to the dr.  :(   Our new house is nice and warm--it's been nice being comfortable since our last house was sooooo cold (no insulation). 

Mary - hope you're not getting too much ice/freezing rain. 

Linda - glad you're working on some prayer shawls.  I haven't made one in a while but then when I get the urge to make one, it's needed by someone special. 

Joanne - glad your power came back on quickly.  I hate being without electric, especially in the cold. 

Judy - It's great that your God Daughter has learned to crochet and wants to crochet with you!! 

Well my Monday morning is off to a great start - NOT.  We got the van cleaned off, got in and I back out and then pulled back in.  I have a flat tire :(  good thing we have AAA but with the weather it may be a while before they get here.  DD got a ride to work, so she won't be late!!  Got the afghans finished since we didn't have the boys and I didn't go anywhere this weekend.  Did get a lot of rest, so I'm feeling a little better.  Well, the guy is here to change my tire.  Have a great day all!!!!

Hi, all.  I finally got up enough nerve to start weaving.  Several things are immediately apparent.  #1: That the cotton yarn I warped it with is too thick, making it much harder to weave.  #2: That bold contrasting yarns work better than pastels when trying to see what I'm doing.  A thinner black yarn would have worked much better as the warping yarn.  #3: This will be purely a practice piece.  One side is too tight and pulling in and the other side is too loose with extra loop size that isn't at all snug.  But I am coping with the help of a knitting needle to separate the warping threads when they refuse to cooperate.   :P

Sherry, I'm so glad that the deep snow missed you, but you are right that freezing sleet is not good either.

Hi Ladies,

We had a little bit of snow today, not enough to cover the ground though. Suppose to snow tonight and tomorrow. We have to go to Maya's tomorrow so we can babysit Wednesday. So I hope the weather isn't to bad.

Sherry, Glad you didn't get all that snow. But sleet isn't very nice either. Sorry about the flat tire. 

Linda, Good luck with the weaving.

Hi to everyone else. I hope everyone is staying warm.

I am working my way through "the Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron.  One of this week's assignments is that there is no reading of books, magazines, papers, etc. for this week.  One day not fully down and I'm going somewhat nuts.  I've also decided to ban playing computer games for the week.  Something I do a lot of most days.  She calls this reading deprivation.  It's based on the idea that "for many artists words are are like tiny tranquilizers."  Taking these away puts us in the midst of our inner silence and frees up our art, thoughts, and feelings to come out.  Well I have sorted through two piles of bills, junk mail, and such like that have been piling up.  I started actually weaving.  And I have sewn together a dozen Christmas ornaments that have been cut out for months.  Now to stuff them.  I've also done some more crocheting.

I am sad that it means that I have to put my current book on hold.  "Bobbie Faye's Very (very,very,very) Bad Day" by Toni McGee Causey.  If you are looking for something that will make you laugh, I highly recommend it.  The little quotes at the beginning of each chapter are delightful.  I'm appreciating them more and more as I get more acquainted with Bobbie Faye.

Good morning.

Glad to hear that everyone is surviving these cold temps. Went to craft club last night and finished DH knit scarf. Got home and weaved in the two ends and gave it to him. He loves it. I'll try and get a decent picture after work or if not over the weekend when I'm home in the daylight.

I hope u all have a good Tuesday. Will catch up later. Hugs!

Good morning ladies :hi

I'm in a bit of a hurry since I have a patient due in few minutes.  I've been running this morning getting ready to head to my parents house for Thanksgiving.  I had a patient scheduled at 4 today, but she called to come yesterday so this next one coming is my last so I'm going to head right out then to hopefully beat most of the snow....although it's been snowing all day already. 

Update on the boy....well, he got the boot :lol  The dates were fine, but when he came to light up night he got 'frat boy' drunk.  And I can understand that because he was probably crazy nervous meeting my friends and all.  But, it embarrassed me....I would think himself as well, but you never know.  When we have long days like that, I always drink just light beer....nothing crazy and I made this very clear not only ahead of time but reminded him during the evening and of course he goes and gets me some Belgium craft beer that was "the best"....only not to me :(  Anyways, what got him the boot is the way he handled it after.  Every apology was NOT an apology (even after sobered up in the morning)....I got "I'm sorry everyone was having a good time" and "I'm sorry I was buying your friends drinks" and "I'm sorry your friends are awesome"  :eek  Totally not the correct response in any way shape or form.  I was looking for "I'm sorry I got so bad" or "I'm sorry I didn't get that water you suggested" or "I'm sorry I didn't listen about the light beer"  any of those would have been acceptable to move forward.   Very strange IMO, but then again....maybe it's just me?

Oh well, let's find out who's next on the list :rofl

I didn't read up on the posts so probably missed some important things, which I'm sorry if I did.  Hoping to get a bit of time later on to check in properly :hug

Hi, ladies!

Marisa, you could have given the guy another chance about the drinking, but the lack of a proper apology when sober....not good.  Good luck next time.  Safe travels!

Linda, not reading - I guess I would do tons of hooking, too!!

I spent a couple of hours with my goddaughter this morning and we had such fun! She is totally obsessed with hooking!! I left her with some extra hooks I had, showed her how I hold my free yarn, etc. Now to find a pattern for a hook case :D She goes back to school Friday night, a week of classes, then finals and comes back in the middle of the month.

Have a great rest of the day, my friends :hug

Hello ladies. I've been keeping busy with DD's move and getting ready for thanksgiving. Our grandsons were here this morning and after they left, I went to the dentist and the grocery store. I'm tired now, but after I drink some of the tea I just made, I'll be back at it. There's still some laundry to do, and I want to clean the master bath. It's been neglected lately.

Marisa, it's good you found out now that this young man wasn't for you. Quite frankly, if I were anxious about a situation or about meeting new people, I would not drink, just for fear of making a fool out of myself. I did think he sounded pretty promising when you first told us about him though. Enjoy Thanksgiving with your parents. Wishing you safe travels.

Linda,I haven't been reading lately, but at least it isn't because I challenged myself not to. It's mostly because it's been so busy around here. I haven't done much crafting either.

Judy, how wonderful that you and your god-daughter now have a wonderful hobby in common to keep your ties strong. I think you were probably her inspiration!

Sherry, WTG on finishing those afghans.

Linda, I'm guessing that the store will be busy from now until Christmas. It sounds like that store sells some neat things. Are you going to show us your weaving? About the Celtic cross prayer shawl, I treasure the one you made me, both for the thoughts and for its beauty. Generally I think knit lacy shawls are more attractive and have a nicer drape, but that pattern is definitely an exception to that.

Mary, did you get a lot of ice? It's been snowing here for two days, but its just enough to get everything white. Looks (and feels) like winter has arrived.

Joanne, glad dh liked the scarf.

Well, better get back to work.

Cindy, my goddaughter told me that after her friend showed her how to crochet she was at it for 3 straight hours :lol  I loved letting her know how hard it was learning new stitches, etc w/out YouTube (back in the dinosaur days). She said she couldn't imagine it!

I saw her tension was loose so I showed her how I wrapped the yarn around the fingers of my left hand and showed her how different the work came out. She caught on fast. She was also trying to make a slouch hat but had chunky yarn and couldn't alter what she saw on youtube to work with what she had - so I convinced her to make the rest of it into a plain beanie :D

I'm going to copy the look of my own hook case so Alyson can have one for her hooks instead of the baggie I left her with :lol  I also gave her a small measuring tape. Now she just needs small scissors. Her mother was cooking in the kitchen while we sat at the table and I could see how much she was smiling as she listened to us go on and on... it was a sweet visit, and I so enjoyed sharing her excitement learning a new skill!

Have a great night my friends - we're expecting lots of rain (no snow) and 40 MPH winds for about 24 hours. Better than a blizzard!

Archived