Our House Part Two

JulieKay

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ladies,

Linda, Can't wait to see the baby quilt.

Joanne, Glad things are getting back to normal for you.

Judy, I think DH over did it to.

Marisa, Glad you had a nice date. And that he was a gentleman.

I went to the funeral, which was really nice. Then went and picked up some groceries for are Thanksgiving dinner. I also got the hall rented for are Christmas dinner with my family. Hope everyone has a nice Wednesday!

Hi, again.  I went to Goodwill this afternoon (Sr. Citizens Day) and splurged on books and three sweaters.  I scored 3 nearly new quilt books, all normally $25-$30 each.  Also a Holiday cookbook that I don't think had ever been opened, normally $60.  Needless to say I've spent several hours looking through them and drooling.  Also got a baking dish and strainer.  Also two hard back and 6 paperbacks in assorted fields, some Sci-Fi, mystery, romance, & thrillers.  Everything was either the color of the week and half off or 1/4 off as a senior.

At Walmart I got a bunch of new underwear (necessary) and a fleece lined, zippered, hooded sweat shirt.  That should be nice for walking Sweet Pea, except when it's super cold.  In addition to that, I picked up a bunch of groceries for making stuff for the holidays and for trying out some Gluten-Free recipes.  Andrea has gluten intolerance, and has to skip a lot of things or cheat and pay for it later.  I found a Cheddar Cheese Puff recipe I want to try out with non-gluten flours.  They sound melt in your mouth good.  I found a gluten free brownie mix, too.  I got some gluten free pasta for some decadent mac-and-cheese.

Marisa, I glad your date went well and that he was a gentleman.  Sounds like "Light Up the Night" should be a lot of fun.

Work tomorrow, err, later today.  Hope it's a good one for all of you.  The weather is turning colder again and we're supposed to get below freezing again on Saturday and Sunday.  Yuck!

Morning, peeps!

Linda, what great scores at Goodwill!! Yup - looks like cold weather is settling in here, too, but I love it even though I've noticed that my body doesn't much care for it.

An easy day today - still haven't begun the knit ruffled scarf. I always seem to be doing something and not able to sit at the 'puter long enough to watch the YouTube video all the way through (with needles and yarn in hand). Maybe today. Meanwhile I've been making squares to add to the ones I was given by an older crochet friend. I enjoy mindless hooking - way too much. I do feel the need for a challenge soon, though, and need to see if I still have the crochet Fair Isle pattern book in my pile. I'm sure I wouldn't have thrown it out :reyes

Have a good day my friends :hug  :manyheart

I do feel the need for a challenge soon, though, and need to see if I still have the crochet Fair Isle pattern book in my pile. I'm sure I wouldn't have thrown it out :reyes

Well......speaking as someone who purchased new boots last year, and has been through every nook and cranny of the house looking for them....I wouldn't be too sure. I suspect my boots accidentally went to Goodwill. :)

Hello friends. It's a super busy week for me this week. Three days of work in the unit, one long day of teaching, (7AM to 5 PM) , plus helping dd with painting so she can move next week is pretty much using up my entire week.

Plus a couple of weeks ago our pastor issued what he called a series of 10 love challenges, one of which is to invite someone to dinner. So, I invited a couple that we really only know very casually to dinner on Saturday evening, so now I feel the need to really clean house thoroughly this week as well. Not to mention that I will have to grocery shop on Saturday, since I am planning on a "cook your own meal with fresh ingredients". I think I've probably told you all about this before. I have a little table top "stove" that came with four little pans. I provide fresh meat, veggies, herbs, spices and sauces, along with cooked rice, and a bottle or two of wine, and everyone cooks their own meal. I like this particularly for people we don't know well, since the meal takes about two hours and cooking it and trying unusual food combinations provides its own entertainment. I guess I could have started on an easier challenge, such as pray for one person, talk to a person you wouldn't ordinarily talk to, work on changing one of your own attitudes or prejudices, but since I like to eat, naturally I gravitated towards food.

Marisa, glad to hear the date was a gentleman. I know of several couples who met via an online dating site.

Judy, what kind of yarn are you using for that scarf. Are you knitting if? I've knit a ruffled scarf, and I think I remember Marlene saying that knitting them was easier than crocheting.

Well......speaking as someone who purchased new boots last year, and has been through every nook and cranny of the house looking for them....I wouldn't be too sure. I suspect my boots accidentally went to Goodwill. :)

Uh-oh :lol

....and th eruffled scarf uses sashay "yarn"...I put it away for now :P

HI all,

Cindy- Wow- you have a lot on your plate this week---and just coming off being sick to boot!! And speaking of boots--isn't that a shame that they may have inadvertently ended up in Goodwill!  I did that with a sweater- i was looking for it and i'm sure it ended up in the bag of clothes I donated.  The dinner event sounds like fun--although not on top of all that is going on this week. Good luck with it!

Judy- I was going to try a ruffle scarf (knit) but too many other things on my plate right now!  And yes, Moore Yarn @ Airport Plaza is a LYS and they are going to have hours that I'm very excited about- 10-9!!! Night hours are very unusual (except for maybe one night/week) for a LYS. I'm going to a preview event invite only on Friday night! I'll let you know what I think!

Marisa- I know a few people who are now together several years after meeting through Match.com . My DD &son-in-law's good friend is engaged to be married next fall..and the  guy she is marrying is so perfect for her! Have fun!

Linda- Sounds like as we age, we like the cold less and less---although I'll take cold over HOT any day of the week!

Marlene- Will you be having Maya for Thanksgiving? We are having a low-key Thanksgiving- I'm cooking and my DD and GS are coming over (son-in-law has to work). My middle DD may join, but she was invited to a good friends house and I told her if that's where she wants to be that day, it's fine with me.  My oldest is not coming down since she was just here last weekend. We're looking forward to a low-key, relaxing day!

Mary- Hope all is well in your neck of the woods

Off to knit some more on DH's scarf..his birthday is Sunday--and I want to have it finished Knitting is so much slower than crocheting!! LOL

Had a relatively quiet day at work today.  Just long and chilly.  The heat is barely on, if at all.  I ended up borrowing one of our shawls to put over my sweater and drinking hot water to try and stay warm.  We did have one huge sale for LED lights.

Cindy, you have a hugely busy week from the sounds of things.  Your dinner sounds super fun.  Hope everyone has a good time.  Don't totally wear yourself out or you could have a relapse of your cold.

Joanne, your Thanksgiving sounds very nice.  Rosie is hosting for Thanksgiving with contributions from those of us attending.  There will be 14 of us.  4 of us are avid quilters, so we're guaranteed to have a lot of fun.  I'm going to make gluten-free brownies, gluten-free mac and cheese, and I'm going to try out a new recipe for cheddar cheese puffs which I'll make gluten-free, too.  That way Andrea will have things that don't bother her and the kids will have something they like, too.  

Hi, Cindy, Linda, Joanne, and everyone! I'm having fun working on G Squares to augment the pile I was given....may be NICU blankies when done, Haven't gotten back to working on my throw yet. Reading a lot instead.

Norah Roberts' new book recently came out, Dark Witch, and her characters were really well developed, I thought, which is what makes a book worth reading for me. I also have another book, not my usual kind of purchase, The Reason for God by Timothy Keller. It's quite good and I just started it. He has an easy writing style and uses examples when he's developing a point. You could call it Christian apologetics. My reading choices are very eclectic, to say the least.

Tonight is book club and we'll be discussing a novel, The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. I wasn't sure I would get through that one but in the end I'm glad I finished it - it was pretty good. Two of the book club ladies went to meet the author a couple of weeks ago when he gave a talk somewhere here in NJ so it should be a very good discussion. Have a great day my friends!

Hi House. :)   I think it was Monday when I last posted. :eek  I've been reading through posts once a day, though.  It's just been a super busy week and I'm exhausted.  The orthopedic dr. gave DH a huge shot of cortizone and he wants to see if it helps before scheduling surgery. They are supposed to call about the MRI today. Other appts., babysitting one day and it's already Thursday!

My turn today for the dentist, so I'd better get going.

Have a good day, and know that I'm thinking of you all. :manyheart

Yay! I just found the Fair  Isle pattern book! I had it in a stack of other pattern books but it was folded open at a pattern I was interested in trying so I never realized it was the book I was searching for! :D

Good afternoon ladies :hi

I had a patient this morning and then I spent time working on a postcard to mail out for the DOT physical exams :)  Now I just need to order them!  I have another couple patients coming this afternoon and then we're bowling tonight.

Linda - Sounds like you got some good finds.

Judy - I have a ruffle scarf in the works, but it doesn't get worked on too often...probably since it's a 'just because' project.  Have fun at book club.

Cindy - Your dinner sounds wonderful!  I hope your week goes quickly...at least it's already Thursday!

Joanne - Did you get to work on DH's scarf?

Mary - How did the dentist visit go?

I see everyone has had a busy day.  I worked this afternoon and had prayer shawl group in the evening.  Got home in time to watch all of this week's Project Runway, talked for a bit to DD, and now it's time for bed.  Hope you all have a great Friday.

Happy Friday!!!

Marisa- I've been working on DH's scarf- he wants a long one (of course he does- LOL) Hoping to finish by Sunday- I could have made a couple of crocheted scarves by now- LOL Have fun tonight!

Mary- Good to see a post and hope things calm down for you!

Linda- Happy Friday to you too!!!

Cindy- Hope your work day went well yesterday

Judy- How was your book club?

Tonight I'm going to the preview night of the new LYS! I can't wait to see what it's like!!!!

Have a good day everyone!

Hi, ladies...

We had a very good meeting last night - lots to talk about re the book. There was a new member there, too, a 30-somehting young mother whose close friend is half chinese and half japanese, which was the dynamic of the book.....

I learned that my goddaughter is busy crocheting something for me!

Have a good day my friends

Good Friday afternoon, everyone.  :rain  It was 76* yesterday and it's 29* with wind, rain and sleet right now...Brrr!

Cindy ~ Your idea for dinner tomorrow night sounds perfect!  It's a great way to get to know someone in a fun, casual way.  We used to have fondue parties...very similar 'format' and always lots of fun!

Marisa ~ Yay for meeting a nice guy. :yes  Have fun on your "second date." :)

Joanne ~ How great to have a new LYS close by!  Looking forward to seeing the scarf you're making for DH.  I made two for my DH last year and ended up donating them...time to try again. :lol

Linda ~ Thanksgiving at Rosie and John's sounds wonderful.  Your recipe ideas do, too. :yes   How is Miss Sweet Pea?  I hope Joy finds another job very soon.

Judy ~ Be sure and let us know if you decide on a Fair Isle pattern - I love the way they look, but have never tried one.  Coincidentally, I have the Jamie Ford book on the Nook!  My sister enjoyed reading it so I downloaded it, but haven't read it yet.  You must be so excited to see what your goddaughter is making for you! :manyheart

Sherry ~ I hope you're staying warm in Oklahoma! 

Hi to those I may have missed, too. ♥♥♥

Things are much quieter today. ;)   Since I made the drive to dear brothers' on Monday, Sue is there meeting with our attorney today.  It seems there is one investment co. that is holding some money hostage (my words :lol ) because they don't like the way probates in Texas are handled!!!  Of course legally, they have to release the money...they just keep dragging their feet.  Thus, the reason for getting the lawyer involved.  Just one fun thing after another lately. ;)  

Have a good day, ladies.  I'm going to crochet this afternoon! :cheer

Wow, it's been a while since I've checked in.  Worked late Monday, had the boys Tuesday and Thursday.  Today we left early because of all the sleet/freezing rain, ugh.  I'm not feeling to great, think the weather change is bringing on a cold, so I'm trying to keep it from getting worse.  Took a nap once we got home.  Not sure if we'll get more sleet or not, it seems to have stopped for a while.  We never know here what we're going to get. 

Mary - it's been freezing ever since yesterday afternoon.  The high was 72 and by 5 p.m. it was 37--I just hate when the weather does that!  And now we've got all this freezing stuff falling from the sky.  Supposed to get more today and tomorrow, then another round on Sunday with lots of snow.  Not liking this early cold stuff.

Marisa - hope things are going well with you. 

Judy - hope you get the knitted scarf started soon.  I'd much rather crochet!

Linda - glad you found some good buys at Goodwill. 

Joanne - hope you're not getting this cold nasty stuff this weekend. 

Well, I got both afghans stitched together, now to do the edging.  Started on little man's and hope to have it done tonight or tomorrow.  Then I can finish the other one.  Found some cute towel toppers on FB, so I'm going to try to make some of them for teacher gifts.  I'll try to post one when I get it done.  At least we won't have the boys this weekend, as DD picked up the little one from day care because of the weather and pulled the other out of school so they could get home safely before the ice started coming down.  Have a great Friday night--I'm getting ready to cook some pizza without a pizza pan--can't find it.  Directions say cook it on the rack, so we'll see how it turns out!!

Stay warm!!

Hi Sherry! I would much rather crochet, too :lol

Mary, I was looking at a couple of 2 color Fair Isle designs. They're for babies, and use lighter yarn, but I think they would make good lapghans in WW yarn. They all have fringe though - I DO NOT do fringe....so will have to weave in th ends, I suppose.

Hello ladies. No more work for me until next weekend! Actually, I have a meeting that I need to be at on Wednesday, but it's only a few hours. I am hosting Thanksgiving, so I suppose that will involve some time and effort! :)

Judy, I also hate doing fringe, but I made dd a shawl this spring and I could tell she wanted fringe, so I bit the bullet and added it.

Mary, good luck with getting the money from the investment company.

Sherry, sounds like you can look forward to a quieter than usual weekend. Since the dgs's aren't there you can work on their afghans. Hope your weather settles down. Snow is predicted here, but that's not so unusual for Michigan. It snowed some today, but didn't amount to anything.

Linda, your Thanksgiving food ideas sound really good. You are so sweet to take the time and effort to make some gluten free food.

Joanne, enjoy the LYS. Our little town has a wonderful one, although it's expensive. I think of it as my "special occasion" yarn store. The lady who owns it is a knitter, but she is also very supportive of crochet, and sells hooks as well as needles.

Marisa, I missed the second date part. Hope it's fun.

Marlene, do you have snow up there yet?

Hi, everyone.  I took myself to see "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" this afternoon/evening.  It was raining lightly when I got out.  It wasn't what I expected, but it was very good.  The length of the list of stunt actors was really impressive.  The scenery was fantastic.  The interplay of the characters was superb, and there has to be a sequel, because they just cannot leave it where they did without a follow up.  They can't!  One of the good guys turned into a bad guy and then back into a good guy at the very, very end.  I know that I didn't catch all of the story line in just one sitting.  It's much more complex than I thought it was going to be, and went in a totally unexpected direction.  I know that I missed clues all along the way.

Good morning!

What a wonderful LYS I went to last evening! Very, very friendly! I can see myself going back there! Every Sunday they have a "knibble and knit" (which of course includes crocheters) from 3-6 . Won't be going tomorrow since it's DH's birthday, but I can see myself going over there some Sunday's. This is definitely not a knit-centric place. I won a little project bag--they had a wheel that you spin to see what you won for their preview night. I also bought some Ella Rae Seasons yarn- very pretty, and will make a cowl with it!

Today is cleaning on the agenda, and shopping for something for DH....He could use some sweaters and I have a 50% off Gap card, so may head over there.

Hope you all have a good day!

Archived