Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Judy, regarding the skunk smell, it was nearly midnight so we improvised. We bathed her with Arm and Hammer laundry soap, (sounds odd, I know, but it contains baking soda) and then followed that with regular shampoo. Today she still has a slight smell about her, so I will be stopping by the pet supply store when I'm out, and seeing if they carry a shampoo especially made for this. Evidently there is at least one on the market and it is supposed to be very effective. I read online that a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, worked into the fur and left for five minutes works well. However it said that this is very hard on their skin, so I opted for something else first. I also read that Dawn dish soap is helpful, but I didn't have any in the house.WOW! I think I'll keep Dawn on hand...at least! I know I wouldn't be able to call off my guys if they found one in the yard!

Almost worse than the dog smell was the way the odor immediately went throughout the entire house. We opened all the windows and ran fans all night, so it is now cold inside. At least it smells better. I also lit candles for a while, but of course I couldn't leave them burning when we finally got to go to bed.

When the smell comes in through the windows upstairs it seems like it lingers for a while before disipating! Blech! Good luck with the search for the shampoo!

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning housemates!

Sherry - I hope hubby feels better as the day goes on. Your shawl sounds pretty. Maybe you can get some crochet time in before the boys get there.

Tam - it's good to hear from you and it's good news!

Joanne - have a great day in paradise.

Cindy - I awakened tired too.

I've dropped everybody off. My sister and I are getting ready to buy groceries.

I'm currently working on 2 of the afghans ordered. One of them with the girl's name is being done in squares (blue/green). The other in black/gray mist/white in shells! It is working up well. I'll post pictures later. There's no sun to be found. We're suppose to get 2 days of rain and then a cold front.

10 more days and we will have new living quarters...hooray!

Well it's grocery shopping time!

Have a great day everybody!!!

BBL!!!

Good morning housemates!

Sherry - I hope hubby feels better as the day goes on. Your shawl sounds pretty. Maybe you can get some crochet time in before the boys get there.

Tam - it's good to hear from you and it's good news! Thanks hon!!!

Joanne - have a great day in paradise.

Cindy - I awakened tired too.

I've dropped everybody off. My sister and I are getting ready to buy groceries.

I'm currently working on 2 of the afghans ordered. One of them with the girl's name is being done in squares (blue/green). The other in black/gray mist/white in shells! It is working up well. I'll post pictures later. There's no sun to be found. We're suppose to get 2 days of rain and then a cold front. Oh cant wait to see! Come on sun!!! :)

10 more days and we will have new living quarters...hooray! good for you :cheer

Well it's grocery shopping time!

Have a great day everybody!!! you too!!!

BBL!!!

:heart

:mug

Good morning ladies :hi

Wow, it's been busy since Saturday morning :clap

Well, when I left here Sat...Sloan and I made a pit stop at the bux and then I dropped him at his grandma's and got home just in time to walk down to the Pitt game with our neighbors. Steph was running late so I took the tickets for another couple friends of ours. We met them at the bar and then Pitt was doing so well that we decided we had to stay where we were and couldn't go to the game :eek They won against Virginia Tech, which was definitely an upset (Pitt never wins against them). When we came back I stopped at the neighbors for a little while, then headed home and crashed (probably about 7-8pm) and I didn't wake up unti 7am Sunday morning :eek

I tried to check in during my early morning hours awake alone, but my ipad won't load the pages anymore for this thread or the other....I think because they're too large of files :think I was able to load shorter threads though. Anyways, then I crocheted a bit and watched tv. Got myself together and we had friends coming over for noon to eat and we left the house at 1 for the tailgate (Steelers played at 4:30). The Eagles played at 1 so I told my friend to update me, but my fellow tailgaters had a tv set up for the game (and not because of the Eagles, but because of the Ravens who is the Steelers arch enemy) And the Eagles won :clap Another upset :D The Steelers also won....it was a good weekend for us :yes

I had a patient at 9:30 and she just left a few minutes ago. I have to find time to clean the house this week because my parents are coming out Thursday night (Mary too) and Steph won't have time this week. Her and Bean are not going to the Pirates game on Wed and asked if I want the tix, so am debating there :think

Oh, Delany got discharged from the hospital yesterday morning so was able to spend her very first evening in her new home with her parents :manyheart I got a picture of her in the car seat when they were getting themselves together and she sure is super tiny!!!!

Cindy - :yay for the matching knit slippers....It seems you do better with pairs when knitting as opposed to crochet. I'm glad you had a quiet day yesterday and sat with family. Sorry Sophie had a skunk attack :eek I feel like I've heard that tomato juice helps get the smell out :shrug

Mary - Your fall ghan is gorgeous, I love the colors and the pattern....thanks for sharing the link, although I don't like the warning of having to weave ends instead of being able to work over them :( We'll have to see how ambitious I feel....I hate hiding tails.

Linda - Glad to hear you're still on the mend and are being cautious by staying with Carol while building your strength back up. I know it's difficult, but I think you'll now be very careful about taking care of yourself :yes:hug

Val - How fun all the activities your doing for school and fundraising. Keeps you busy. And packing up to move in a week and a half :yay

Angela - Your mom's xmas ghan is gorgeous :manyheart I know how you feel with the cleaning. I hope school goes well today for you. I think 3 weeks is a good amount for you to take off when you have your son. You don't want to be gone too long that the other parents end up finding somewhere else to take their kids :eek And at least you can have your son all day at work....it's a win-win if you ask me :yes Glad to hear that dh is on the mend, not so glad to hear that he lost his job :( It's difficult everywhere right now it seems :hug Sorry your friend cancelled her meet up with you :hug And having the fight with your mom :hug Feel free to vent here, we're a good group and listening and/or offering advice...lots of insight from this group :yes

So, since I was in a rush on Saturday I'll introduce myself now.....I'm Marisa, 33 years old and live in Pittsburgh, PA. I moved here last year labor day weekend and opened up my chiropractic office in November after living/working in Philadelphia for 6 years. While there, I was fortunate enough to meet up with some of these ladies face to face :manyheart I'm originally from the Poconos where my parents still live. My sister (Steph) and her bf (Bean) own a house here and I'm living with them until I can support myself. The office is still not yet self sufficient, but we're getting there slowly :yes I also often talk about Maryann (my old receptionist from Philly but also one of my best friends), Ingrid (Bean's sister, but we just refer to each other as in-laws because Steph and Bean are as good as married, one day they'll come home from a vaca married is my anticipation :think ) and her kids Averie (10 yo girl) and Sloan (7yo boy). What else.....I have 2 turtles, but they are STILL at my parents house for about a little over a year now.

Sherry - WTG on your jacket :yay Glad your weather is cool. Right now we're cool in the morning and evening, but the days are quite warm with the sun beating down :yes Tailgating was perfect yesterday though. Our spot is under the highway overpass so we're directly out of the sun/rain/snow Whatever it's doing. I hope dh is feeling better :hug Have fun with your homework tonight :devil

Joanne - I love your football friday idea for tailgate foods at work :yay That will be so fun. I'm still trying to wrap myself around the idea that it's actually football season though :think

Judy - :yay for yarn shopping :bounce How is ds doing?

Oh, Joanne and Judy (and Phyllis) - I don't know if we can work something out to get together the last weekend of October or not. I mentioned before that my seminar in Newark is that weekend, so if either of you might be available either Friday or Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon (weekend of oct 27th) let me know.

Marlene - Sounds like you had a fun filled weekend with the kids and enjoyed a nice pizza dinner along with dh :yes Glad to hear that ds' gf interacts well with the kids and vice versa. I hope dd's tooth doesn't turn into a big problem and glad you were able to get such a good deal on a new tv so quickly.

Tam - Great to hear from you!!!! Awesome that dh and Michael are both doing well :woohoo It sure has been a long hard road, so hopefully this glimmer of things starting to settle down a bit is just the beginning :xfin Great news that all the kids are doing well with their extracurricular baseball and wrestling :yay I haven't seen anything on fb and I thought you were my friend there, but I'll have to go check it out :think

10 more days and we will have new living quarters...hooray!

I hope the days fly by!!:clap
Here is my "too nice" ghan all done. It will be donated as planned. I just loved working on this one.

That's beautiful, Phyllis!!!

Oh, Delany got discharged from the hospital yesterday morning so was able to spend her very first evening in her new home with her parents :manyheart I got a picture of her in the car seat when they were getting themselves together and she sure is super tiny!!!!

that's such great news!:cheer

Judy - :yay for yarn shopping :bounce How is ds doing?

He claims he's ahead of the curve and is walking better since we last saw him 10 days ago. We'll have to see that to believe it! He's at 4 months healing and the minimum seems to be 6:P

Oh, Joanne and Judy (and Phyllis) - I don't know if we can work something out to get together the last weekend of October or not. I mentioned before that my seminar in Newark is that weekend, so if either of you might be available either Friday or Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon (weekend of oct 27th) let me know.

Hmmmm....not sure about me, but if you decide to get together nearby let me know and I'll see if I can get there!

Good morning ladies :hi

Wow, it's been busy since Saturday morning :clap

Well, when I left here Sat...Sloan and I made a pit stop at the bux and then I dropped him at his grandma's and got home just in time to walk down to the Pitt game with our neighbors. Steph was running late so I took the tickets for another couple friends of ours. We met them at the bar and then Pitt was doing so well that we decided we had to stay where we were and couldn't go to the game :eek They won against Virginia Tech, which was definitely an upset (Pitt never wins against them). When we came back I stopped at the neighbors for a little while, then headed home and crashed (probably about 7-8pm) and I didn't wake up unti 7am Sunday morning :eek

I tried to check in during my early morning hours awake alone, but my ipad won't load the pages anymore for this thread or the other....I think because they're too large of files :think I was able to load shorter threads though. Anyways, then I crocheted a bit and watched tv. Got myself together and we had friends coming over for noon to eat and we left the house at 1 for the tailgate (Steelers played at 4:30). The Eagles played at 1 so I told my friend to update me, but my fellow tailgaters had a tv set up for the game (and not because of the Eagles, but because of the Ravens who is the Steelers arch enemy) And the Eagles won :clap Another upset :D The Steelers also won....it was a good weekend for us :yes

I had a patient at 9:30 and she just left a few minutes ago. I have to find time to clean the house this week because my parents are coming out Thursday night (Mary too) and Steph won't have time this week. Her and Bean are not going to the Pirates game on Wed and asked if I want the tix, so am debating there :think

My goodness ... you have been busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Delany got discharged from the hospital yesterday morning so was able to spend her very first evening in her new home with her parents :manyheart I got a picture of her in the car seat when they were getting themselves together and she sure is super tiny!!!! Good News! :cheer

Tam - Great to hear from you!!!! Awesome that dh and Michael are both doing well :woohoo It sure has been a long hard road, so hopefully this glimmer of things starting to settle down a bit is just the beginning :xfin Great news that all the kids are doing well with their extracurricular baseball and wrestling :yay I haven't seen anything on fb and I thought you were my friend there, but I'll have to go check it out :think

Thanks dear!!! Good to see you too! hmm... if we arent friends on FB.. we need to change that!!!! :)

Happy Monday, everyone. :) Thank you so much for the sweet comments about my fall 'ghan. :manyheart

Tammy ~ Oh, it's wonderful to have you back! I can't imagine what you've gone through, but thankfully you have your whole family back together now. :hug I hope you can get some "you" time once in a while! :manyheart

I made a last minute trip to take care of Luke this a.m. and need to catch up on posts!

Happy Monday, everyone. :) Thank you so much for the sweet comments about my fall 'ghan. :manyheart

Tammy ~ Oh, it's wonderful to have you back! I can't imagine what you've gone through, but thankfully you have your whole family back together now. :hug I hope you can get some "you" time once in a while! :manyheart

I made a last minute trip to take care of Luke this a.m. and need to catch up on posts!

Mary.............. hey honey!

Good to be back!!

:hug

Judy ~ Your fall weather sounds great! And yarn shopping does, too. :D

Marlene ~ What a fun weekend with your family. :yes Your son's girlfriend must be very good with the kids and it sure sounds like they're comfortable with her. :)

Angela ~ :hug I hope today is a better day for you. You have so much going on right now, remember to take care of you when you can. :manyheart

Cindy ~ Your family day sounds really nice! Oh, I totally sympathize with the skunk problem. :eek I hope you found an "odor neutralizer" product...I can't remember the name of what we used to have. :think

Valerie ~ Only 10 more days until the move!:clap Can't wait to see your afghans.

Phyllis ~ Your afghan is beautiful! Love the colors, pattern, everything!:cheer

Marisa ~ Busy weekend and busy week ahead! I always get tired just reading your posts. :wink

I tried to check in during my early morning hours awake alone, but my ipad won't load the pages anymore for this thread or the other....I think because they're too large of files :think I was able to load shorter threads though. Do you access the thread by going to the first unread post?

Cindy - :yay for the matching knit slippers....It seems you do better with pairs when knitting as opposed to crochet. I'm glad you had a quiet day yesterday and sat with family. Sorry Sophie had a skunk attack :eek I feel like I've heard that tomato juice helps get the smell out :shrug

Mary - Your fall ghan is gorgeous, I love the colors and the pattern....thanks for sharing the link, although I don't like the warning of having to weave ends instead of being able to work over them :( We'll have to see how ambitious I feel....I hate hiding tails.

I had heard about tomato juice, but most of the stuff I found on-line says it doesn't really work. (I didn't have any on hand to try either, although i considered watering down tomato sauce.) We ended up buying this spray stuff recommended to us by the sales people at the pet store called Skunk-off. It can be used on the dog, on furniture, fabrics and in the laundry. Downside is that it cost $36 for a bottle. Still, if it works, its worth it. They said it works much better than any of the shampoos, and cost wise it would probably be about the same. There is enough in the bottle for another two applications. We'll see how she smells after her next bath.

As for the pairs turning out better with knitting, I think its just that I brag a lot more when something I knit works out. Also, I don't knit anywhere near as well as I crochet, so I am much more apt to pay close attention to the pattern.

And about Mary's afghan pattern...at least there aren't any pieces to sew together!

DD called her Dr. this morning and she told her to come in, even though her regular appt. is tomorrow. She has had a bad headache and high pulse rate for a few days, so they did blood work, another sonogram (the baby is fine) and hooked her up to a heart monitor for over an hour. They still want her to come back tomorrow, so I may pick up Luke from pre-school at noon and bring him here for a couple of days. Hopefully, she just needs more rest and getting my daughter to slow down is not easy! ;) Thanks for being here, ladies...I just needed to "talk" this out. :manyheart

DD called her Dr. this morning and she told her to come in, even though her regular appt. is tomorrow. She has had a bad headache and high pulse rate for a few days, so they did blood work, another sonogram (the baby is fine) and hooked her up to a heart monitor for over an hour. They still want her to come back tomorrow, so I may pick up Luke from pre-school at noon and bring him here for a couple of days. Hopefully, she just needs more rest and getting my daughter to slow down is not easy! ;) Thanks for being here, ladies...I just needed to "talk" this out. :manyheart

:hug :hug :hug

Praying for mom..baby... and you my dear!

And about Mary's afghan pattern...at least there aren't any pieces to sew together!

:lol Then this pattern would work for you! ;)

Thank you Cindy and Tammy. :manyheart I know everything will be fine, but just can't help but worry sometimes. Only about 5 more weeks until new baby arrives!

Thankfully she's approaching the 9th month!!:hug:manyheart

:hug Thank you, everyone. It means so much to have you for friends. :manyheart

Okay! Am I the only one who doesn't mind weaving in tails? :lol Every so often I wonder how a lot of us made thousands of little squares - talk about weaving in ends and joining! :eek

What a chatty bunch today!!

It was a glorious day again- too bad I spent most of it indoors at work!

Mary- Prayers for your DD and baby- and glad that they are going to monitor closely- I'm sure all will be fine! My DD is going to find out the sex of her baby on Halloween! Can't wait!

Cindy- Oooh that 'stinks" - both figuratively and literally!!! Especially at that time of night having to de-skunk the dog and house! Hopefully the 'skunk-off' works- and if it does, it's worth every penny of the $36.00 it cost!!

Marisa- Wow- what a busy, fun weekend!!! As far as the weekend of the 27th- I'm free- it's the weekend after my step-daughter's wedding in AL! I'd love to meet up- we'll work something out!

Val- I can hear the excitement in your voice over the upcoming move!!!! It'll be here before you know it!

Tam- gorgeous afghans you've been making- I saw them on the show and tell thread- all of them are so beautiful!!!

I went to take a pic of the baby RR that I took while it's still light- and don't you know it- the battery in my camera is dead! I'll charge it and try again tomorrow after work!

Off to craft club soon! Have a good night everyone!

:hug Thank you, everyone. It means so much to have you for friends. :manyheart

That's what we're here for:hug

Okay! Am I the only one who doesn't mind weaving in tails? :lol Every so often I wonder how a lot of us made thousands of little squares - talk about weaving in ends and joining! :eek

I enjoy weaving in ends...:D Which I'll be doing more of down the road. I started making a bunch of saltines in turqua, white and yellow and they're waiting for me to pull them out again:lol

Have a great night everyone!

Archived