Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Hi Marlene ~ You guys are always on the go! ;) Your weekend sounds so nice and I'll bet Maya is excited about your going to see her! I hope your DD doesn't have too much pain with the wisdom tooth. :hug

Marisa ~ A weekend of football and crocheting sounds just perfect! Yes! We want pictures of your mystery 'ghan. :D

Cindy ~ I hope your weekend away (or longer?) has been a good one.:yes

DH will be home about 1 so we can drive downtown to his eye app't. Time to squeeze in a little crocheting. :)

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought lots of Vanna's yarn on sale at Michael's last week - all in Fall colors. I started this pattern yesterday and absolutely love it! I'm just on the third row, but can't wait to get back to it.

Have a wonderful morning, ladies. :manyheart

Nice pattern!!

Good morning! Welcome to Monday! My favorite day of the week (after 4:30 that is:lol) since it's Craft Club tonight!

Judy- Hoping that the blown call on Saturday lit the fire on the Yankees --they played very well yesterday!!! That's what DH said would happen!

I did spend some time with Ryan and DD and I took a nice long walk with him and her dog Belle- I slept like a baby last night!

Off to get ready- Have a wonderful day!

Awwww....a baby and a dog - nothing better!

Hi, Marlene, Marisa (and I agree on the teired umpire salaries), Linda, Sherry, and everyone.

Nothingnew to report on the craft front...busy work at home and outside.

Later, gators!

Marisa ~ A weekend of football and crocheting sounds just perfect! Yes! We want pictures of your mystery 'ghan. :D

DH will be home about 1 so we can drive downtown to his eye app't. Time to squeeze in a little crocheting. :)

:oops Thanks for the reminder....

We built on the circles from last week to make them into squares :D

I hope dh's eye appt goes well :xfin

post-36814-13589777731_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone. We are home from our weekend away. The wedding was beautiful. I do have to say though, that I am glad I don't live in a really big city. The traffic in Toronto was horrible even on a Saturday afternoon. Lots of stop and go and sitting stationary on the freeway. I can't begin to imagine what its like on weekdays. No construction to blame it on, either. The Saturday traffic in Toronto was worse than the 4 PM Friday traffic we hit in Detroit. Ds, who lives in Detroit, says that on Fridays everybody seems to leave the city, so Friday afternoon traffic is always extra bad there. We have rush hour here, and it can be very busy, but we don't have freeways wider than 4 lanes, and weekends are usually a lot quieter than weekdays.

I crocheted a baby bootie on the way there, but I don't like it at all, I don't even consider it worth donating anywhere, so I will be frogging it.

Since I am off all week, we will probably go up north for a few days, and possibly even visit Mackinac Island. Dh wants to, I'm kind of lukewarm about it. I suspect it will be quite cold there.

Anyhow, better go give some thought to dinner.

Nice work, Marisa!:cheer

Cindy, city traffic can be a bear when you're not used to it! Which is a big part of the reason why DH and I haven't driven in to NYC in over 5 years! My goddaughter's mother, on the other hand, can't stay still, so she'll be asking me to join her on a road trip into the City as the days become cooler. She wants to show me a quaint tea room - and we'll be walking. Alot. The nice thing about NYC is the streets are perfectly level - no hills!;) When I worked there I always walked and GH and I would do it a lot, too, after he retired. I do miss it.

Sounds like you'll need warm clothes if youu go up North!:P

Hey Jules!!! I"m here if you want to drop me a note....

Have a good night everyone:hug:manyheart

Hi Ladies,

Mary, Hope DH's eye appt went well. We have at least 6 more saturdays of football/cheerleading games.

Marisa, Your squares are turning out nice.

Judy, When we lived back home we use to go walking or biking. I miss that.

Julie, Hi!

Cindy, I dislike freeway traffic in busy cities. I do a lot of the driving to. I would go tomorrow if going up to the bridge. Suppose to be in the 80's the next two days. Have a nice time.

Val, Hope your feeling better.

Linda, Hope all is well with you and your getting better.

I got all my stuff done except for making cookies. Oh well. Today would of been my Dad's birthday if he was still with us. I'm thinking next year we should have a family party to celebrate as next year he would of been 80.

My sister whose husband has cancer, got laid off from her job of 23 years. He's been laid off quite awhile and his unemployment is about to run out. When it rains it pours. The company she works for the owner died and his girls are taking over and they have closed all there stores but the one she was working at. I guess that can't figure out how to run the business and keep it success full. They've gone from 7 stores to 1. My sister made the most money so that's why she was laid off.

I need to get to bed have to be up early in the morning. Hope everyone has a nice tuesday!

Hi House. :)

Marisa ~ Oh, your mystery squares are great!:clap How many more clues are there?

Hi Julie! :manyheart

Cindy ~ I'm glad you had a good trip. Our traffic (Dallas/Fort Worth) is definitely not fun, but I'm lucky not to have to drive in the worst stuff most of the time. Enjoy the rest of your vacation - whatever you all decide to do!

Marlene ~ Sending hugs to your sister and BIL. :hug Safe travels today. :)

Good morning ladies :hi

Last night I made it to the aerobics class. After dinner I watched tv upstairs and did 2 rows of the edging to my knit jacket :D One more row and then the cast off. I think then it's just the pocket edging :think

I went to the gym this morning too for a class (it's kind of annoying that the classes I like are mon night and tues morning :sigh And then again on wed night. They are canceling the thurs morning and adding a fri afternoon (but that one will always be hit or miss....not so sure I can get to that one).

I went this morning to see a guy about making some shirts for the community day event. Now I have to fill in Steph and my parents with the info.

Julie - I hope all is well...you've really been busy lately! :whew How's Cam doing?

Cindy - Glad you made it home safely and enjoyed the wedding :clap Sorry you didn't like the bootie :hug

Marlene - Prayers for your sister and bil :hug :hug That's very difficult.

Mary - This was just the 2nd clue, so I think it goes for 7-8 weeks....so 5 or 6 more to go :yes

hi, ladies:hug

Marlene, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and BIL. You're right - it never rains but it pours!:hug:manyheart

New York local news is filled with only one thing today, and it seems like it just happened yesterday. Doesn't help that today has the same gorgeous pre-Fall weather as the day the airliners were used as weapons.:(

Mary - This was just the 2nd clue, so I think it goes for 7-8 weeks....so 5 or 6 more to go :yes

Perfect timing for a Christmas gift?! :)

Judy ~ It is hard to believe it was 11 years ago. :hug I know most of us will never forget.

Hi housemates!

Just a quick drop in! I didn't have a chance to check in today. My sister and I traveled to Bama earlier. We've finished our meeting and are now on the road to Georgia. We don't have to come back until November! We got a chance to see our youngest sister and several cousins.

I dropped off the AAMU blanket.

My allergies are still giving me fits!

Back to keeping my sister company while she drives.

Good night!

We had a couple of moments of silence at work today. I'll never forget that I was at work when it happened and my then manager was sitting across from me. She lost her sis-in-law on that fateful day. We are still friends to this day and she came with me to my friend's Mom funeral. She and her hubby (it was his sister who died 9/11) always take the day off and go spend some time at the cemetery.

Got in late tonight- and DH isn't home- so I'm going to put on the Yankees and work on the mystery'ghan!

Hi All! I'm catching up. I had both GS on Monday night, so I'm busy getting homework done and getting them to bed and then I"m ready for bed!! DD has college classes on Monday night so they are with us every Monday. Yesterday was a busy day as well. But at least I'm almost caught up on everything that I lost in the computer crash.

Marlene - prayers for your family. sorry to hear that things are so bad for your sister.

To those that live in NYC and lost friends and families - prayers for you were said yesterday. It's so very hard to lose those we love in such a tragic way. We understand so well here in Oklahoma.

Hugs to all, gotta get to work.

Here is some food for thought this morning. If you are making something for charity, what quality of work is acceptable? I am working on a lapghan for a local charity. When I brought it with me to my seniors' craft group, the overwhelming majority opinion was that it was too nice to give away. I took it as a nice compliment on my work. But the overall attitude was that if you are giving something away, it shouldn't be too nice since it might get stolen, it won't be appreciated or taken care of, etc. The prevailing attitude was that "just anything" was fine to give since it was more than the person had before. That bothers me. My thinking is that if a person is already ill or otherwise in need of comfort, they deserve my very best. A simple lapghan can cheer them up, give comfort to the family that someone cares about their loved one, and brighten the day of the dedicated people who are caring for them.

Maybe I have a selfish motive, too. Sometimes I just make things for the sheer pleasure of making them and giving them away is an added benefit for me.

What do you think?

Good Morning, Ladies. :)

Valerie ~ Yay for delivering another afghan and having a good trip with your sister. I think you gave me your allergies. :lol We're supposed to have rain tomorrow and Friday - maybe that will help.

Sherry ~ Both grandsons on a work/school night must be a super busy time! That's great that you're caught up at work. :manyheart

Hi Phyllis! You've brought up a wonderful topic! Crocheting and giving both make me feel good and I never vary my yarn or quality of work if I plan to donate something. I truly believe that most people love having something handmade and soft. :)

A big HI to everyone at Our House!:manyheart

Good morning ladies :hi

Last night I just read, I didn't do any hooking. This morning I've been to gym swimming and saw a patient :D Now I'm about to eat a little breakfast.

Mary - Hmmm, I will have to see the finished mcal before I can decide if it will be a xmas gift for someone :think

Val - Glad to here that you had a safe a trip and :yay for delivering another ghan.

Joanne - Sorry you had a late day :hug

Sherry - I'm sure your gs' keep you busy :yes What is dd in school for?

Phyllis - I agree with you 100%. We craft because we enjoy to do it and giving our handmade work as a gift to others is part of the craft itself. Let's be honest, if we keep everything that's too nice to give away.....where would we all be!!! :eek We wouldn't be able to use all the afghans, scarves, hats, etc in all our days on this earth :no When I make something, I personally do not like giving it away if I'm not proud of it and if I'm not proud of it as it's coming along, chances are pretty good it's going to the frong pond :frog:lol My mom always taught me to treat others as you want to be treated yourself. That's just my thoughts. I feel like I had something else to add, but now I'm drawing a blank :think:blush:sigh

It's so quiet here today. I hope everyone is having a good day! :manyheart

Marisa ~ I feel the same way about frogging - if it doesn't look right, I sure don't want to waste any more time and yarn on it. :crocheting

The fall ripple is growing slowly. I'm using the last (9th) color now and have decided to repeat the colors instead of going the "random" route. Hopefully, it will feel a little more like fall when it gets larger and is in my lap. :lol

Hi, Ladies!

Busy day here today - our friends from upstate NY came for a visit...and before that I had a hair appointment! Anywho, the other lady and I shopped while the men talked....:D

Phyllis, I agree with everyone else...nothing I make is ever too "nice" to give away. Whatever happens to it down the road, well, so be it. An example of that is a small scarf I hurriedly made for a neighbor I only knew casually and who was dying in the hospital. She happened to be a very good friend of a friend of mine and when she asked if I wanted to go with her to visit with the ill lady the very next day, I said I would. I thought of all the sterile hospital surroundings and picked up a very soft royal blue yarn imported from the UK and whipped up something overnight. I lay her hand over it and saw her touch the soft yarn....she died that night.

Her husband still has that scarf and he keeps it next to his bed.

Here is some food for thought this morning. If you are making something for charity, what quality of work is acceptable? I am working on a lapghan for a local charity. When I brought it with me to my seniors' craft group, the overwhelming majority opinion was that it was too nice to give away. I took it as a nice compliment on my work. But the overall attitude was that if you are giving something away, it shouldn't be too nice since it might get stolen, it won't be appreciated or taken care of, etc. The prevailing attitude was that "just anything" was fine to give since it was more than the person had before. That bothers me. My thinking is that if a person is already ill or otherwise in need of comfort, they deserve my very best. A simple lapghan can cheer them up, give comfort to the family that someone cares about their loved one, and brighten the day of the dedicated people who are caring for them.

Maybe I have a selfish motive, too. Sometimes I just make things for the sheer pleasure of making them and giving them away is an added benefit for me.

What do you think?

Wow! I'm surprised by that attitude!:eek I agree with you, Phyllis and the others, in that you should give your very best whether or not making something for yourself, friend, family member or charity! If the person I gift something to do just leaves it in a closet, than that is their choice. I give because it gives me pleasure (selfish reason like you) However, with that being said, I won't give anything away regardless of to who, if it's not the best that I can do.

Had another long day- and DH is home tonight and in a somewhat talkataive mood, so I won't be working the mysteryghan tonight- too much counting!!:lol

i think I'll work some more on the RR I'm making for my co-worker.

Off to figure out dinner and then hit the :crocheting

hello everyone. We are back form our few days away. We ended up in Traverse City and visited some wineries, a lot of little shops and Sleeping Ber Dunes National Park. We've been home for a few hours already, and we are all unpacked.

Phyllis, I agree with everyone else. I never donate something that I don't like myself. After all, if I don't like it, its got to be bad. After all, I chose the yarn and the pattern. I've never given a thought to what happens to the stuff I make after I donate it or give it away. Once I give it away, it belongs to the recipient, it is no longer mine. How they use it, is up to them. There is one thing, however; I have donated things I wouldn't have kept for myself. Sometimes I let my dd's talk me into color combinations that don't really appeal to me. However, my daughters like them, so I assume other young people would like them as well.

Hello housemates!

I went on a school field trip today. I had a great time.

I haven't done any crocheting today.

I'm tired and already in bed.

Phyllis, I'm in agreement with the rest of the housemates in regards on crochet items we give away. We were taught that you only give away those items that you deem good enough for yourself.

Have a good night!

Archived