Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Judy and Valerie ~ Thank you! :manyheart It's a really easy pattern, but not as well written in a couple of places as it could have been. :think

I'm taking care of Luke in the a.m. while DD has her OB appt. Unless Luke's little brother comes early, his birthday will be Oct. 22...her delivery is already scheduled! My, how things have changed. :lol

See you all tomorrow!

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening ladies :coffee

Time for me to figure out what to make for Brian for dinner when he gets home tomorrow....me thinks it is going to be a simple spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread and salad. Don't feel like any type of extravaganza cooking tonight....:scrachin I made a whole batch of meatballs about a month ago and froze them...just for emergencies like...midnight shift ! :lol

I did take out a big sirloin steak and cooked it on the grill tonight. They had the family packs of them on sale not long ago...so I got one and separated the steaks for 3 meals.. made some baked potatoes and veggies and it was a done deal. I still would rather have eaten Judy's greek food :lol

Mary- I LOVE the fish 'ghan....oh that turned out nicely. Where did the pattern come from? It is so cute ! I really love the colors too!

Well I am off for some late night cooking....and then some late night hooking :crocheting

Hopefully will make yarn store tomorrow...have to see what shape Brian is in after working 9 1/2 hours........

Hi there all, just popping in to say hello.

Am new to the site. My name is Mary from Melbourne Australia. Nothing fancy about me. Just love the art of crochet and was lucky enough to have been shown how to crochet billions of years ago. (exaggerating just a tad. :) )

In other words have been crocheting now on and off for 30 years. Stopped for a while, whilst my young family grow to huge teenagers. :)

I now have a little more time for me and would like to get back into my favourite hobby; crochet. I miss it and want to finish my long overdue projects.

Anyway just wanted to say hi.

:)

Good morning!

Mary- The fish afghan came out great! I love your color choices!!! Very, very cute!!!

Welcome MaryD!!! Good luck finishing all of your 'overdue' projects!!!

I had a great time with DD and GS! And then I picked up the pointy sticks for a bit after they went home. I did get a picture of the GS, but didn't get to upload them to the computer. I'll get to that as soon as I can.

I hope you all have a good day- I'm running behind this morning--since I stayed up late watching the Olympics!

Good morning housemates!

Quick drop-in. I have quite a few things to take care of today!

Maryd - Welcome. This is the place to work on wips and even create more.

Joanne - Can't wait to see pictures of Ryan. Have a great day in paradise!

Cindy - I hope you have a great day at work today!

Laura - what did you decide to fix Brian? Did you stay up all night?

morning, peeps!

Joanne, I hope your day goes ok - esp since you were up later than usual:hug

Val - I think you need a simple hook project. Just for fun...:hug:hug:hug:hug

Judy and Valerie ~ Thank you! :manyheart It's a really easy pattern, but not as well written in a couple of places as it could have been. :thinkWhen I started crocheting more involved projects I used to think it was ME when I had trouble with a new pattern - and then I learned that not all patterns are written well. I wrote up a pattern for an 8 inch square once and discovered how hard it was to write one accurately.

I'm taking care of Luke in the a.m. while DD has her OB appt. Unless Luke's little brother comes early, his birthday will be Oct. 22...her delivery is already scheduled! My, how things have changed. :lol

See you all tomorrow!

they sure have changed!! Enjoy the Little Guy:manyheart

Evening ladies :coffee

Time for me to figure out what to make for Brian for dinner when he gets home tomorrow....me thinks it is going to be a simple spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread and salad. Don't feel like any type of extravaganza cooking tonight....:scrachin I made a whole batch of meatballs about a month ago and froze them...just for emergencies like...midnight shift ! :lol

That works!

I did take out a big sirloin steak and cooked it on the grill tonight. They had the family packs of them on sale not long ago...so I got one and separated the steaks for 3 meals.. made some baked potatoes and veggies and it was a done deal. I still would rather have eaten Judy's greek food :lol

your meal sounds excellent, though - and lots easier and faster than mine! NOTHING in Greek cooking is fast:lol

Hopefully will make yarn store tomorrow...have to see what shape Brian is in after working 9 1/2 hours........

Hope you get to the yarn store!

Hi there all, just popping in to say hello.

Am new to the site. My name is Mary from Melbourne Australia. Nothing fancy about me. Just love the art of crochet and was lucky enough to have been shown how to crochet billions of years ago. (exaggerating just a tad. :) )

In other words have been crocheting now on and off for 30 years. Stopped for a while, whilst my young family grow to huge teenagers. :)

I now have a little more time for me and would like to get back into my favourite hobby; crochet. I miss it and want to finish my long overdue projects.

Anyway just wanted to say hi.

:)

Welcome!! How's the weather Down Under? What sort of projects are you hoping to work on?

I began hooking around 1970 but didn't do much with it till we moved out of New York in Dec. of 1971 and circumstances had me staying home instead of going out to a job. I was bored out of my mind!

Off I go - chores (it is Monday morning, after all:P) and then need to go out after lunch.

Have a great day, my friends.

Good Morning! Thank you for the compliments on the baby afghan! :manyheart It is this pattern and as you can see, I used the same colors. :D

Hi Maryd! :welcome We're glad you're here and getting back to crocheting!

Laura ~ Spaghetti and meatballs is always good IMO. :D

Have to leave in 5 minutes, so better say 'bye for now. Have a good morning, House. :)

:morcoffee Morning house sisters !

Well I think its morning, I mean the sun is out and all but I don't really know what I am doing time wise...already Brian's midnight shift has me wonky :loco

Well the spaghetti was a success...took out some of the frozen meatballs I made, made up a pot of spaghetti, made up a salad and cooked the garlic bread when he came home. I was only 1/2 :sleep when he got home :lol

I blocked Aiden's sweater last night and it is drying...I decided to take a small break from grandchildren land and I took out this really nice skein of Bernat Satin in Copper that I had left. Decided to make a hat out of it. Still hashing out the design but about 2/3 through. I mean there is not much to do late at night except :crocheting. I get bored with the CBC quickly. (Canadian Broadcast Co - tv)

Maryd - :welcome:cheer I am so glad you decided to pop in and say hello and see us. The ladies here are so cool.. :2rock you will like it here. So which WIP will you tackle first ?

I have been :crocheting since I was about 15 so that would be about 35 years or so for me. There are times I too did not do as much as others, especially when my children were small, though I did always have a project on hook...was just a matter of when it got done :lol

I am curious if you like vegemite? I tried it once, it has a very different taste, but actually not bad at all. Most people I know either really like it or really dislike it...seems there is no in between :lol They don't sell it in the States,(and I have not seen it in Canada) but I had it at some kind of international festival I took my kids to once, many moons ago.........

Joanne - can't wait to see pics of GS..

Val - hmm I made it up until about 3 and slept till 6:30...I will be due to go back to bed in a few hours ........hope you get everything done today you need to do......

Judy - true nothing is fast in greek food, but that is why it is so good to eat !! Hope you get your chores and errands done........ I have to fit in chores some time today...hmm not sure when...after 6 I imagine.... :think

Mary - oh right ok. Now I see the link to the pattern, I know where I have seen it. I know I have seen that book and that afghan before... It really turned out so well. Hope your day goes good.

Have a good day / night house ! :manyheart

Hi Ladies,

I'll be back later. Just got a call company is coming and I need to pick up around here. Then the cable guy is coming are internet was out all afternoon and most of the evening yesterday. Have a good day!

Judy - I agree because everything I've made lately has been the same color scheme or lettering. I still have 2 more lettering ghans and 1 more with the same burgundy! Oh well, the things we do for money.

Laura - when does Brian eat breakfast food? My Dad use to rotate shifts but he ate breakfast when he got home at 7:30a; then to bed. He would get up around 4 or 5 and we would eat dinner. He would go back to bed for a few hours...get up @ 10P and return to work. The next week he would do days and then the 3-11 shift.

My sister is getting ready to grill so I'll check back later!

Hi Ladies,

I'll be back later. Just got a call company is coming and I need to pick up around here. Then the cable guy is coming are internet was out all afternoon and most of the evening yesterday. Have a good day!

Unexpected company can be a good thing or a bad thing :lol

Hope your cable gets fixed up........

The house is very quiet today ....everyone must have known I was trying to :sleep:lol (Maryd is probably :sleep too)

Hope everyones day is going good ! :manyheart

Hello everyone. I had a great day at work, but it's good to be home. Dinner here will be leftover vegetable soup and burgers. I must say though, the Greek meal and spaghetti and meatballs sounds wonderful. Hmmm, I do have some spaghetti sauce in the freezer....Nah, better use up the leftovers.

Mary, your fishy afghan is really beautiful. I agree with Judy, its gorgeous in the picture.

Joanne, hope your work day went well. Is it today that you do the computer upgrades or something along that line?

Marlene, enjoy your company.

Linda? Julie? Hope all is well with both of you.

Marisa, Val, Laura, MaryD, Tab....hope your Monday went well.

Hi Cindy ~ Thank you! :manyheart The pattern really was fun to make and I'm still trying to decide if I want to do one in different colors.

Laura ~ Yep, it has been quiet at Our House today! :) It must be so hard for your schedules to be reversed...how long does each shift change last?

Marlene ~ I hope your internet is working now. :yes How did your son's court hearing go?

Julie ~ I hope you're feeling lots better and are able to enjoy your favorite foods again. :manyheart

I think Linda said she would be staying with Kim this week. :think Hopefully, we'll here from her soon!

Luke and I played all morning - he is so good natured and we laugh a lot. :) Everything is fine with DD and the baby. :c9 It's 106* again today and supposed to stay this way all week, so I'll be hibernating. :lol

Hi all,

Quick pop in before I head to craft club!!:clap

Cindy- Last Monday was the night I had to stay late for the upgrade- didn't get home until close to 9PM.

I was determined to get out tonight on time (or close to it) so I wouldn't have to miss craft club again!!! I'll be missing it next Monday since I'll be in Boston!

This week is super busy as usual, but at least I only have 4 more days to go and then I head to Beantown. Middle DD will be there as well- she's taking the bus up on Thursday and we have my cousin's suprise party on Sunday. Middle DD will drive home with me on Tuesday (and I also took off Wednesday) so next week I only have to work 2 days!:clap

Time to pack up my yarn and head out to CC!!

See you in the AM!

Hi, ladies! I was glad to "see" so many of you popped in to say hi.:)

I was planning on decluttering a deep kitchen cabinet today, but didn't feel like it. Now it's too late for me to start - Yankees start in 30 minutes...so I'll just take out my hook and work on finishing the baby RR. I'm so done with it already! I still have at least a few rows of Royal blue before finishing it with the 2 contrast colors and edging it... This one will be donated, I think.

I need to work on something else - and soon:D I think i'll make another baby boy blankie - but something out of larger squares I think.:think Since I have a girl blankie on the sidelines I want to have aboy one ready, too - the neighborhood has been very fertile lately:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Have a great night my friends:hug:manyheart

Hi ladies, how's it going in wool :yarn and hook :hook addict land? :)

Cindy - Yes best to eat up the leftovers before they end up in the garbage :) Brian is like ULTRA picky about leftovers. If I make extra, I freeze it because anything past one day/12 hours after he won't eat. There is no such thing as "eating on something a few days" (they say that a lot in Louisiana) with him. As a result though, I have frozen meatballs, frozen lasagna and other things I can quickly heat up.

Val - sometimes Brian eats breakfast when he comes home, sometimes when he wakes up. I usually ask him what he feels like eating. Like tomorrow he will have breakfast when he comes home.

Mary - his shift changes are every two weeks :eek . I don't care about days and afternoons...even afternoons he gets home around 11:15 and basically you can sleep a whole night, at night, just a little later. Midnights though, the whole business of sleeping during the day is messed up if you ask me !!! :sleep

So glad you had fun with Luke ! OMG 106 today???? Could have fried an egg on the sidewalk :eek Check this out...I just had to go look and see what 106 was in metric because I am getting so in the metric mode here. (even though I know what 106 is but was wondering what it was in metric) 106=41c OMG that is hot!!

Joanne- glad you popped in before your Craft Club. It sounds like fun. What do you do there? I was only in Boston once, many years ago..I had a gf who went to Boston College and I went to visit her during break. I remember that Boston had a lot of one way streets ! Good fish too. The only place I was ever in that had more one way streets was New Orleans, as with the river and the lake there...you go 7 blocks and still cant make a left......

Judy- decluttering a kitchen cabinet? I'd find an excuse to say no and get out the hook too ! :lol:lol:lol

Fertile neighborhood :rofl that made me laugh... there was a time I lived in one of those. I made a lot of blankets....and unfortunately, I was also one of those fertile people ! :lol (I have 6 kids)

Hope all of you ladies are having a nice evening......

Hi Ladies,

Had fun at craft club and worked on knitting.

Laura- The craft club is held at our library- and any craft is welcome. Many knit, some crochet, some do both, one lady does needlepoint, one does embroidery, one makes jewelry. It's a lot of fun and that is where I'm learning how to knit! I still love crochet the best, though!! My DH is super picky about leftovers too--I usually am the one that ends up eating them- or freezing them!! Although tonight he did have leftover chicken cutlets and I cut some of the chicken up and put it in a salad for lunch tomorrow.

Judy- I chuckled after reading your post. I went to take out a container to put salad in to bring to work and half of the containers came tumbling out of the cabinet. I had just said yesterday that I have to de-clutter that cabinet!!!

Cindy- Glad you had a good day at work!

Val- Time to make something quick and in a different color than all those Bama colors!!! I usually do that just to say I finished something and to break up the monotony!

I brought my Granny stripe to CC and everyone liked the colors. I will try and post the pictures tomorrow night after work. I'm too tired to get up and get out the camera and cord and upload the pics to the computer tonight!

Mary- I'm melting thinking about the 106 degrees so many days. Thank goodness for AC!!!!

Well, off to watch the end of the Yankee game/Olympics and then call it a night! May not be back in the AM since I'm posting now, so will wish you all a great Tuesday now!!!!

Hi Ladies,

Judy, Hope you get good news on the xray. I've never had greek food before. I use salt to wash my hands when I have onion on them.

Marisa, We knew your friend would like your babyghan. You did a great job on it.

Val, It was Maya's last day at the library. The summer program is over.

Cindy, Chicken and dumplings sound really good. I haven't made them in years. There not one of hubby's favorite. My Grandma use to make a big pan of chicken and gravy with homemade biscuits, oh it was so good.

All your projects look great. I especially liked the log cabin and the flower ghan. The scarves are pretty to.

Laura, My cousin use to work those swing shifts it was crazy some weeks. We were really close many years ago and hung out all the time. My sister and her bf work/ed (he is still working) and they love it.

Homemade spaghetti with all the works sounds delishes.

Mary, Glad you some time with Luke today. When Maya was born they told her Mom if you want your doctor to deliver your baby then we will schedule you for this weeked (she was due at the time). She went to the hospital twice to be induced and we took her back a few hours later her water had broke. It was a long time before she delivered her pains quit. They later decided to do a c-section. Sometimes it's better to leave things to nature.

The fishghan is beautiful!

Joanne, Glad you internet is up and working. The cable/internet guy never showed up. I had a four hour window. I'm glad we got the internet working, but something is still wrong somewhere according to the cable company. We are on are 4th modem in 2 years and he said we shouldn't be. No phone calls from them either. If I didn't have internet I would not be happy. I hope the week goes quickly for you.

I haven't seen or heard anything from Dusti in a very long time.

MaryD, Welcome! I've been crocheting for lots of years. Starting out only making a baby blanket for my kids. Picked it back up in the 80's and have been crocheting since. Round ripples are one of my favorite things to make.

Linda, Julie, Tab, Tam, and everyone else hope all is okay with you.

DS had court this morning. It did not go well for his ex. Friend of the court gave her a $700 fine and a weekend in jail. She denied him 7 times of visits with the kids and they charged her for each one. And told her if she does it again and doesn't follow the steps to do it right then she will get 30 days. Then they went in front of the judge on sons property. Her excuse is with my work schedule I can't find the time. Sons lawyer said we've been doing this for months now. So he asked my son for the value of the things she still has. When they minus for the cell phone they want him to pay for that he gave back to her. She owes him over $5,000. He can garinsh her wages and her bank accts. I know she is fuming, but she brought this all on herself. She has 21 days to appeal both cases.

She said Jocelyn told her my son hit her. They asked for pics, there were none. She said a bruise wouldn't show up in a pic. She called protective services and they called friend of court and they wouldn't do anything. Friend of court knows her style. My son said he didn't hit Jocely and he would take a lie detector test. Friend of court said that isn't necessary. He's not going to sit back and let her control things like her first ex did. She nick picked every little thing with him. Her two oldest boys live with there dad and don't want to move back home with her. It's a sad life she is living but she isn't helping herself when she is hurting her kids like she has. I can only hope she learns something from this, but it's not likely.

Maya is laying on the couch waiting to go to bed so I better get her up. I can't and won't carry her any more. I'll catch you all tomorrow.

Oh boy oh boy late night reading here :clap:clap will keep me entertained for a bit :lol

Went to the grocery store today and found something I never can seem to find: fish that looked fresh at a good price :yay . The Louisiana in me gets cravings every once and awhile for cajun batter fried fish so I snatched up 4 nice fillets of halibut and made some. When I first moved to Canada I found that you could not find cajun seasonings..well at least not like in Louisiana...(well its hard to find them anywhere outside of the south, can't really find them around Chicago either). So I sent my gf some money in Baton Rouge, gave her my order list and had her ship me some creole seasoning, gumbo file and various fish fries, sauces and spices. I should be good for awhile now. I am waiting for some good crab and shrimp to be on sale to make a seafood gumbo. I find that most northern versions of cajun seasonings are nothing more than a whole lot of cayenne pepper which just makes things hot and does nothing to season. Real cajun cooking is not so much like that. They can make things hot, to be sure, but most times it is just seasoned well and not very hot.

I finished my copper colored hat that I was working on the design last night...it looks like a 20's flapper hat...I was inspired by pics from my gr-mothers in their youth, wearing them. Nothing fancy like in Great Gatsby or anything but just simple ones. So I made one...short in the back with wider sides and brims. Looks good. I wanted to put a black band around it..but I only have black worsted wool and even though the Bernat Satin is a #4 too, it is thinner and the heavy worsted is too heavy for it. Will have to find a soft black yarn or maybe sport weight. I haven't made it for yarn yet, perhaps tomorrow. It was all Brian could do just to go to grocery store for some essentials.....he was so tired.

Now I am working away on Aiden's blanket. I hope to get at least 20 rows in before I get bored again :lol

Joanne - Your craft club sounds fun ! hmm wonder if our library has anything like that... :think . My knitting needles are so rusty from non usage...I don't think I have knitted in quite some time. Guess I will have to pull them out one of these days again......... Can't wait to see pics of your granny stripe!

Marlene - Glad your DS got some justice there. I went through many similar shenanigans with my ex over kids, money , visits etc. I used to get headaches, really I got migraines, back in those days dealing with all of that. It was so stressful for me. I would almost break out in a sweat if I had to go to court...as soon as I reached the courthouse door, I would be a mess. He would always be trying to split hairs, and justify his crazy behavior with equally crazy arguments and accusations. Thank heavens the judge saw through his stupidity. Didn't make it any easier for me though. I did not ever want my kids to be in the middle of that or see all of that, but he was such a drama actor, that the kids ended up getting sucked into it. (Something that I assure you they do not thank him for now that they are grown).

I always hoped my ex would learn something from all of that nonsense, but sad to report, he is still the same way today :(

Mary - forgot to say...glad your DD and baby are doing well !

Well I'm going to go off and work on the Katrina piece I am writing. If I get ultra bored perhaps I will take some pics of my WIPs.........

:hug:manyheart to all.........

morning, peeps!

Hi ladies, how's it going in wool :yarn and hook :hook addict land? :)Haven't come close to finishing the rounds on the RR I want to do...good thing it's just for my amusement at the moment:lol

Judy- decluttering a kitchen cabinet? I'd find an excuse to say no and get out the hook too ! :lol:lol:lol

Fertile neighborhood :rofl that made me laugh... there was a time I lived in one of those. I made a lot of blankets....and unfortunately, I was also one of those fertile people ! :lol (I have 6 kids)

6 kids:eek:eek:eek and you're still sane!?:eek

Hope all of you ladies are having a nice evening......

I'm a hopeless pack rat....:P...though if wasn't for DH being the opposite you might one day see me on tv....

Hi Ladies,

Had fun at craft club and worked on knitting.

I put my needles down for a few days - need to keep up with it myself:P

Judy- I chuckled after reading your post. I went to take out a container to put salad in to bring to work and half of the containers came tumbling out of the cabinet. I had just said yesterday that I have to de-clutter that cabinet!!!

That's the state of many of my cqabients ...and some drawres are stuffed to the gills. I really need to toss out stuff I probably will never use.

I brought my Granny stripe to CC and everyone liked the colors. I will try and post the pictures tomorrow night after work. I'm too tired to get up and get out the camera and cord and upload the pics to the computer tonight!

I can't wait!!:cheer

Well, off to watch the end of the Yankee game/Olympics and then call it a night! May not be back in the AM since I'm posting now, so will wish you all a great Tuesday now!!!!

What's with the Yankees? And now Tex has a bad wrist?:think

Marlene, it must hurt you so much seeing what DS has been going through with his ex...sad to say, if the jail time doesn't make her cooperate I don't know if anything will. Hugs to you and everyone....tg the court and judge see her for what she is.

Good morning ladies :hi

Well, I started reading about an hour ago :eek I keep getting side tracked with the olympics :shrug I got back yesterday afternoon, came to the office to get in some of Friday's paperwork. Then to the house to unload the car and met a friend for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory because yesterday was National Cheesecake day and they had half price pieces :drool

Watched the Olympics so got to bed late, but was up to go swimming myself this morning. Now I'm watching the good people swim :lol Men's US basketball should be today for game 2, but I'm not sure what time....better go look it up :think

I have a haircut tonight and am excited since my hair is starting to annoy me because it's getting longer than I'd like it. I have some errands to run during the day and 2 patients later on :D

Joanne - Glad you got to craft club last night and I know you're super excited to head to Boston :clap

Val - So, did you start a new ghan or edge the other? I saw some pics on FB that were great :manyheart

Laura - Love steak AND pasta :drool When my sisters bf is on nights, she'll often set something up in the crock pot so he has a hot meal when he gets home :yes

Judy - Any news on your x-rays? I had to laugh at your fertile neighborhood :lol I recently told someone that there is currently an epidemic of pregnancy :eek

Mary - The fish ghan came out great :manyheart

MaryD - :welcome So, what's first on your list as you get back to hooking?

Marlene - How was your company? Glad to hear the court is finally showing some action against ds' ex. Hopefully she gets her act together now :yes

Cindy - I always love leftover soup, it absorbs the flavors and yummy!

Hi, Marissa, my films and report are being sent to DS's office in Middletown....he's not at that one today, so I don't expect to hear anything till tomorrow sometime. Thanks for asking.

I learned how to swim from Ds's certified Red Cross instructor when he was about 10 (he's 37 now) and since I never kept it up I revert to a dog paddle whenever I do get a chance to go in a pool. It's a great skill to have - he got very good at it....the instructor asked if he wanted to test to be a lifeguard when he got older. Silly child said no....

Archived