Our House Part Two

JulieKay

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning!!

Happy Nurses Week!! Paradise is having a luncheon for all the nurses tomorrow which I'll miss--but I'd rather be off work, then get a free lunch!!! LOL

We're heading downtown today and then going to the North End for an Italian dinner and stopping at the Italian pastry shop afterwards. Looking forward to my last day in Beantown!

The Devils' won their game and now are up 3-1 in the best of 7 series!!!!

Hope you ALL have a good day---for once, I don't mind that it's Monday!!!

Morning ladies

Mary

Your quiltghans are so pretty . Gonna make a new one for the new babe ,or haven't you decided yet ? Does Cara still have her patterns posted elsewhere ? I think she said at one point that she was closing down her website,didn't she ? Maybe they are still at Ravelry ?

Bet you had a fun visit with Luke .

Joanne

Sounds like you are having an enjoyable time over in Boston and doing lots of fun things .

Val

So how much yarn total is the afghan taking ? ILTY is such nice yarn,isn't it ? So soft . Sounds like you had a real nice time yesterday with family .

Marisa

Hope you did well on your Runs .You must have a lot more get -up and -go than I do !

Cindy

Hope all is well with you .

Tab

Hope your situation up there has simmered down and she decided to back off. Some people are just ridiculous in their behavior ,taking someone to court for something so stupid . The judge should fine HER for wasting his time .

Linda

Hope all is well with you. Did you get the whole weekend off,as you hoped ?

Marlene

Sounds like you have some good genes there of relatives who lived to be quite elderly. My one grandma lived to be 93, but all my other grandparents died at a younger age . My 2 grandpas were in their early 70's ,my other grandma ,I never met .She died when my dad was a small boy,so he doesnt even remember her and has no pictures of her . His family was very small and almost all gone,most of them I never met . A few I saw when I was really young,but dont remember them at all .

Jude

Did you come home from your market with a whole sackful of goodies ? Hope you had a nice relaxing weekend . Has your god-daughter decided yet on which college to choose next year ?

Not much new here yet today. Too early in the day for much to be happening.

I'll drop in later on to check back in with everyone .

'morning peeps!

Jules, my GD is going to attend Syracuse University in the Fall. I WAS going to make her a ghan with her school colors, but remembered I had this pattern in my files, so will make this instead - and add her name to it.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/piano-afghan

Her mom is a gifted piano player/ teacher (who also plays the organ) and GD has been playing by ear since she was 2 and her feet dangled from the piano bench and her fingers were too short to form the chords. She teaches piano, too, now, and is skilled in all things musical - including her voice! She has a soft heart and is the daughter I never had:c9

Oh - the Delicious Orchards run was pricey:lol but yummy: wonderful sandwich ham, hot Italian sausage for dinner later this week, veggies, and 2 mini eclairs for DH, a yummy piece of crumb cake for me (2 days worth!) apricot Danish and perfectly baked, seeded, Italian bread.:drool

Judy - The Michael's near my house does not have those beautiful colors. They have a limited selection of that particular brand. I did buy 6 skeins of ILTY from Hobby Lobby to finish up the Bama ghan.

Darn!:P

Joanne - Glad you are enjoying yourself. Yes, I did get to work on the houndstooth ghan. I'm done with the rows. I have to weave in alllllllll those ends and then I can put the edging on.Next time try weaving in several rows of ends as you go - I know it makes me less crazy to work that way. Looking forward to seeing the picture!:cheer

I spent the day with my aunt and 1 each of her daughters and son. She has 2 daughters and 2 sons. Both of her daughters are nurses.

Hey! Shout out to all of you nurses in the group for Nurses week: Joanne, Cindy, Linda.

Ditto from me, too!!!

We're heading downtown today and then going to the North End for an Italian dinner and stopping at the Italian pastry shop afterwards. Looking forward to my last day in Beantown!

Have a wonderful day:hug

Wow...nice win! I saw replays - the first episode of the new season of Sherlock Holmes was on last night:c9:c9:c9

Have a great day, my friends! Need to run to the store this AM - not for food, but for stuff like clothes detergent, etc. I also need to get a routine bloodwork done sometime soon - if I can bear to leave the house without breakfast - today wasn't one of those days:lol

Later, gators.:hug

Good morning. I decided to have a computer free day yesterday for a change. I lazed around and read a book, and worked on my knit scarf. It was gloomy and drizzly all day, and it is today too. However, today, I need to do laundry, and buy groceries. It's back to work tomorrow and then probably back to my parents house to do some organizing and cleaning with my sister. We want the condo to be ready for sale when the attorney says it can be sold.

Joanne - I hope you enjoy your last day in beantown to the fullest. Be careful traveling home on tomorrow and check in when you arrive.

Julie - The houndstooth ghan used 7 skeins so far. I did have a great time yesterday, thank you. I've only purchased ILTY since Hobby Lobby introduced it. I have skeins with the price imbedded into the label...$1.99 original...now $3.99 a skein. Of course, they're using pricing guns now. It is a soft, easy to work with yarn.

Judy - OMG! That afghan is gorgeous and the perfect gift. Thanks for the tip on weaving as you go. I'll will be doing that next time because I'm not looking forward to the chore:eek. I could be putting the edging on if I'd done that.

Cindy - Good for you taking some ME time!:hug

Good afternoon everyone. Went to Gainesville Friday afternoon and got the paperwork dropped off for my social security retirement benefits. Should be no problems with it. Rosie drove and I navigated and it was smooth sailing both ways. Took about 20 minutes all told once we got there. Will probably start next month, as I don't think there is time enough to process the paperwork for this month, but once it's started I should get a deposit on the 3rd Wednesday of each month from then on. And the amount will be enought to afford a one bedroom apartment on my own without having to work more than part-time. I'm glad that's done.

Joey and Jason came over about 10:00 on Saturday and John and the guys started in on the garage. John sorted things into the I'm keeping pile and the other pile. I declared things donatable and trash and logged all the suff that was to be donated. Joey and Jason kept some of the stuff for their use and the rest went to Goodwill. I talked to my DD in the morning and we are both looking forward to spending time with each other next month. I spent the morning in the heat helping with the garage, taking care of Kim and throwing up. I think it was a combination of being too tired, too hot, and in too much pain. Once my part was over with the garage I spent the rest of the day sleeping and/or throwing up. Continued to sleep all night and until noon yesterday.

Spent the afternoon and evening with Rosie and John. Tired and painful joints but no more throwing up. Almost fell asleep in one of their chairs late afternoon, but not quite.

Hello Ladies- I guess I will just jump in because there are 800+ pages to this thread There is no way I can read through it all and know what's up. ;)

This morning my dd8 had a "muffins with mom" event so I started my day off pretty good with some special 1 on 1 time (I have 4 kids altogether, dd13, dd11, dd8, and ds2)

I have a huge mountain of laundry to fold today, but I think I will have some coffee and crochet for a little bit before I get going.

Rebby, welcome to "Our House". I've been Kim's live-in companion and care giver for the last almost 8 years now. I'm on duty whenever her husband, John, is away from home. They are moving to Texas later this summer to be near their son and grandchildren and I have decided to stay here in Cumming, GA for a number of reasons. I have a grown son 39 and a grown daughter 36 and one grandson 8.5.

Hi House. :) I spent most of yesterday and this morning in my yard...it feels sooo good to have the time to get things planted and mulched. Luke will be here from tomorrow a.m. until Sunday afternoon, so he can water things with his little watering can. :lol

Here is some great news about Tam's husband. They've been through so much and I sure hope Tam and the boys are doing okay.:yes

Lots of hugs for those who need them. :hug

Have a wonderful afternoon, everyone. :manyheart

Hope you had a great time with Luke, Mary. That's wonderful new about Ken. They've had such a rough road the last few years.

Want to play "enabler"?:lol I'm already working on squares for baby ghans: one is using 2 round grannies we call Saltines because of their size and the other is 8 inch squares...

BTW: Our son is 37, a chiropractor, and we're going to meet the current GF in a week. It would be nice to have a DIL to hang around with in the kitchen on holidays, just like I did with my MIL...:manyheart

Ladies, one good sign is that he has shown himself to be more considerate of HER feelings than his own more times than I've ever heard of before...our fingers are crossed, too, Val:lol

We had sunshine this afternoon!! It was wonderful sitting out back with the dogs, with this as part of the view. I took the pic last evening, and it was a bit cloudy because of the rain we were expecting...

Love the picture of you back yard, Judy.

SOme of you asked to see what I am working on... i just pulled out a schnibble of what I am doing to snap a pic. Its in the patons sequin lace. I think it will be a pretty shawl (half moon) with white and tan clothing.

Lovely shawl, Rebby.

Good morning!!

Happy Nurses Week!! Paradise is having a luncheon for all the nurses tomorrow which I'll miss--but I'd rather be off work, then get a free lunch!!! LOL

Hope you ALL have a good day---for once, I don't mind that it's Monday!!!

Have a great day with DD in Beantown, Joanne.

Omg Judy- I am trying to lose weight and your post makes me soo hungry!! lol
:devil

Good morning. I decided to have a computer free day yesterday for a change. I lazed around and read a book, and worked on my knit scarf. It was gloomy and drizzly all day, and it is today too. However, today, I need to do laundry, and buy groceries. It's back to work tomorrow and then probably back to my parents house to do some organizing and cleaning with my sister. We want the condo to be ready for sale when the attorney says it can be sold.

I minimize the time I'm on the puter....mostly quick visits and then off. I've been getting more done since I started doing that!

Here's pictures of the almost complete houndstooth. The colors are more true when you click on the picture!
Beautiful work, Valerie:clap:clap

Linda... throwing up - not good! Maybe you were dehydrated?

Take it easier today!!:hug

I took it easy for the most part today and am feeling better. Going to call it an early night though. Catch you all tomorrow. :hug

Hey ladies :hi

I haven't been here since Thursday :eek Well, I gotta run now too, but I did read the posts and took notes, so I'll catch up in the morning....just didn't want you to worry :hug

See you in the AM

Just dropping by to let you all know that I may be scarce again. After work tomorrow, I'm going to go to my parents condo for a few days to begin packing stuff up. I don't know if the internet is still working there or not.

Checking in after a nap. I have to pick up my nephew.

Thanks Judy, Rebby and Cindy.

Cindy - Wishing you safe travels.:hug

Linda - Glad you are going to get some rest. :hug

Marisa - Glad to hear from you. Looking forward to reading your post on tomorrow.

Have a good night Housemates!!!!

HI all,

Had another awesome day!!! The weather was sunny and just perfect with a jacket on. We had a delicious Italian dinner and now we are having our pastries from the Italian bakery- I'm having Tiramasu!!

I'll post more when i get home tomorrow.

Val- Forgot to comment yesterday when I logged in that the afghan is gorgeous!!!

Heading back home as soon as DD leaves for work- I'll check in again later.

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

Hi ladies

Quick drop in this AM .

Val

The afghan is so pretty. My gosh, you do such nice work .

Linda

Take it easy if you can down there, You have pushed yourself too hard and your body is fighting back now ,that's why you got so sick .It's telling you it's time to rest and recover, rather than push yourself even more . I cannot wait til you get out of there ! John is being so nasty,to make you work that hard every day,til the point of being that ill .He is a tyrant .

Joanne

Safe drive home !

Cindy

Safe drive to the parent's place, I know it's a job you have been wanting to complete,so it'll be good tot have it done . I'm glad you'll have someone there to help you .

Marisa

Good to have you check in . Rest up,you had a busy weekend !

Faile

Good luck choosing a project for your yarn !

Hi to Rebby ~~

Hello to everyone else ,you all have a good day .

Good morning Housemates!!!

Thanks Joanne and Julie.

Joanne - Drive safe.

Just a quick drop in. I have lots of errands today. Leaving now to take the little one to school.

Have a great day Housemates.

BBL.

LOL- I have to say I was inspired by a thread on this forum! My husband and I tend to sleep at different times. He will ask me why I don't go to bed at the same time as him and I always tell him I would if he didn't mind me using a little reading light or something. He swears it keeps him awake so there is no compromise. Anyways, I saw the post about light up crochet hooks, and I think I might give that a whirl. I ordered 4 of my most common sizes (4.5-6) and my daughters think its going to be the funniest thing to reveal my secret weapon. My dd 13 wants to hide and videotape his reaction when I turn on my light up crochet hook!! LOL I can't wait for them to come by.

Question- Is there something fast that I could whip up for my mom (like a blankie or cardigan? My mom is always cold and I have some dark purple and black yarn I could make a small blankie or something she can wear around the house? I am beginner - intermediate skill level but something fast and mindless would be ideal so maybe I could give it to her for mothers day. (like a 5-7 hr project?)

I went to wal mart and saw they are re doing the craft section there and had a corner clearence rack of bernat yarn. (2.50) I scored 15 rolls. :clap

morning, peeps!

Marisa - thanks for checking in! We wondered if the charity thing was too much for you:eek

Hi, ya, Jules:hug

About my 8 inch squares: I think I'm just going to use the royal blue with the crayons variegated I have...save the yellow for something else

Just dropping by to let you all know that I may be scarce again. After work tomorrow, I'm going to go to my parents condo for a few days to begin packing stuff up. I don't know if the internet is still working there or not.
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you do this...I know how hard it is....:hug:manyheart:hugsafe travels.

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd let you know that I finally got past my reluctance to wash my first yarn. It's hanging up drying and soon I'll be able to make something of it... if I can ever figure out what! :lol

When I have really nice yarn I ALWAYS dither around trying to decide what to use it for - and often it sits in a tote for a long time...make something nice for yourself!

Val- Forgot to comment yesterday when I logged in that the afghan is gorgeous!!!

Heading back home as soon as DD leaves for work- I'll check in again later.

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

Safe traveling, hon! Looks like the weather just might cooperate for you this morning.:hug

LOL- I have to say I was inspired by a thread on this forum! My husband and I tend to sleep at different times. He will ask me why I don't go to bed at the same time as him and I always tell him I would if he didn't mind me using a little reading light or something. He swears it keeps him awake so there is no compromise. Anyways, I saw the post about light up crochet hooks, and I think I might give that a whirl. I ordered 4 of my most common sizes (4.5-6) and my daughters think its going to be the funniest thing to reveal my secret weapon. My dd 13 wants to hide and videotape his reaction when I turn on my light up crochet hook!! LOL I can't wait for them to come by. Oh - I forgot about mine - they're perfect for me to use when joining hubby in the mancave for tv time - and where there are no table or reading lamps! Solves noth problems. I'm often not tired at the same time, either - then I sit downstairs with the pups and read, watch tv, etc till I'm ready for bed.

Question- Is there something fast that I could whip up for my mom (like a blankie or cardigan? My mom is always cold and I have some dark purple and black yarn I could make a small blankie or something she can wear around the house? I am beginner - intermediate skill level but something fast and mindless would be ideal so maybe I could give it to her for mothers day. (like a 5-7 hr project?)

I went to wal mart and saw they are re doing the craft section there and had a corner clearence rack of bernat yarn. (2.50) I scored 15 rolls. :clap

Oh, great shopping score!!

About the project: I think Lion Brand patterns has a 5 hour throw pattern - 2 strands of yarn too if I remember correctly. Google what you're looking for - but if all else fails, use 2 strands with a big hook and just go back and forth in a hdc and make a fluffy shawl....can double as a lapghan.

Good morning all. I slept the clock around last night plus a little extra. John didn't leave for work until 9:15 this morning and was home early last night. I think he's really looking forward to not working anymore. At least for a while.

He wants me to pull everything out of a bunch of the cabinets so he can go through it and decide what he wants to keep, then I'm to go through it to determine what's junk and what's donateable and list and pack all that. Sigh! Sometimes I just want to find a hole to crawl into and hide. There is always more that he wants/demands that I do. He doesn't get it that I am tired and that all of this is on top of all the regular tasks of taking care of Kim and the house. Sigh!!

Have a safe trip, Cindy, and be sure to build in breaks. This is hard both physically and emotionally. :hug:hug:hug:hug

LOL- I have to say I was inspired by a thread on this forum! My husband and I tend to sleep at different times. He will ask me why I don't go to bed at the same time as him and I always tell him I would if he didn't mind me using a little reading light or something. He swears it keeps him awake so there is no compromise. Anyways, I saw the post about light up crochet hooks, and I think I might give that a whirl. I ordered 4 of my most common sizes (4.5-6) and my daughters think its going to be the funniest thing to reveal my secret weapon. My dd 13 wants to hide and videotape his reaction when I turn on my light up crochet hook!! LOL I can't wait for them to come by.

Love it!!!! I have several that I use on the dark yarns and I'll bet that they'll work in your low light situation equally well. And love DD's reaction to the idea. :devil

A shawl or a lapghan round ripple are what immediately come to my mind. Lots of pretty patterns for simple and not so simple shawls at Lion Brand Yarn's pattern site as well as at Crochet Pattern Central.

Ooooo!!!! What a great buy on the bernat yarn.

More later. It's overcast today. Have a good one. :manyheart

Good morning housemates :hi

Back into my routine (I hope :xfin )

So let's see....since last Thurday

OK, so the CF charity walk Thursday night was fun, I didn't do a big job, but definitely an important one as I had to organize the walkers that donated vs the ones that didn't. Then I just got to hang out and chat after that and met some really nice people. They even had a keg and a buffet, so I even got to eat there :D

Friday, I spent a good portion of the day working on my dad's resume stuff and he said he'd be ok with getting it in on Monday, so at least we had the weekend, which was good. My girlfriend from chiro school and I met up for some adjusting and then lunch, her mom was with her too whom I haven't seen since their wedding in 05 in Puerto Rico so it was great to see her too and while we were adjusting each other she said a blessing for me to be successful here :manyheart I had a new patient that afternoon and after finishing up that paperwork I headed home. Totally don't remember what and if I did anything that night :think

Saturday morning a friend and I went on the Just Ducky Tour with a small group from PYP (Pitt Young Professionals) and then had lunch. After that I came to the office and worked on brochures and gift certificates for the mall event this Thursday. Sue text me to see if I wanted to go to Mad Mex for dinner since her friend wasn't feeling well that she was supposed to meet. So I met her out and of course with it being Cinco De Maio (sp?) it was insane since it's a Mexican restaurant....they had the parking lot blocked off with police watch, portopotties, events, etc. We just had dinner and headed out. She checked out what I had for my brochure and liked it, just added one thing (and she's a medical auditor and is good with that kind of stuff). Ran back to the office to pick up some things I forgot. In bed around 11.

Sunday, up at 4:45 :eek Got myself together and walked into town to check in at the volunteer tent for the marathon (I did not run Julie :no ) I got a nice red shirt to identify me as a medical volunteer and they had me at the starting line, so there was really nothing to do since nobody really needs medical care BEFORE the race. So our group just hung around chatting, and there was about 7 or so of us :yes We ended up directing people to where they needed to be and handing out safety pins :lol I was done around 8:30 and then I just walked around downtown a bit and checked out all of the tents and things going on. Headed back home and then into the office around 11:30ish to print out my brochures and gift certificates, which I needed to give the guy at the mall yesterday. Well, my printer didn't like the thick brochure paper after the one side was already printed so I had to load one piece at a time and print them individually....100 times :angry Needless to say it took forever.

Anyhow, I finally got that done and folded them, then put books on top of them to flatten them. Steph and bean were going out after the baseball game and I was going to meet them but since it was so late I just ran over to Ingrid's for a bit instead. I think I made it back home just after 9 and slept for almost 12 hours Sunday night into Monday :eek

Yesterday when I came in I had to go through the brochures and add a gift certificate and business care to each one. Then I counted out pens and ran my stuff up to the mall. I also had a patient in the afternoon. So all that time I spent in the office over the weekend and it was all being time consuming so I never got a chance to pop in with you :( That's my weekend in a nutshell

Today Averie has a talent show at school at 1:30 and again tonight at 7, so I'll go over for the afternoon one. I think Steph and bean are going to the Pirates game again tonight (every night this week actually, however, Steph is coming to the mall even on Thursday with me so bean will need to find a 'date' for that game :lol )

I think that about covers it :whew I got a couple rows of knitting in last night, but haven't really gotten any crafting in since finishing the baby blankets (BUT I did really the Hunger Games trilogy in there :think )

Linda - Did you finish up in the garage? I hope you're feeling better :hug I'm praying for the rest of your time there to go smoothly and to find the best apartment for you to start the next chapter of your life in :hug

Judy - So how was ds's gf? Did you get your blood work done? I can't wait to see your crayon vareigated next to the blue, if you already posted them together and I missed it, sorry :think

Joanne - Glad to hear you are having a wonderful trip to Boston and I hope your drive home is a safe one. Tiramisu is my favorite dessert :drool I hope you enjoyed some for me :wink

Marlene - Wow, Jocelyn's mom is really something else huh? If you feel a certain way about people, you just don't involve the kids!!! What's wrong with her :think I'm so sorry you have to deal with that :hug :hug I hope everything turns out ok. Great finds at the garage sales and good idea to try to build up a bit of a Texas wardrobe :yes

Julie - I didn't run at the marathon. Although I workout on my elliptical, I can't really run unless something is chasing me! :eek Glad to hear Cam was over on the weekend again. When is your reunion again? I know it's coming :think Any further information about the CPAP machine? That is a little strange about how the dr's office is going about it :think

Val - Your ghan is absolutely gorgeous :manyheart I like to work in ends as I go (was it Judy that suggested it) because I simpley detest that part, so doing it a bit at a time isn't so bad. I try to work over as much as I can, but with the graphs it's difficult :yes Have fun running today's errands

Mary - :yay for getting your garden together and thank you for the information about Tam and Ken, I was wondering how Tam's family is :yes I continue sending prayers out for them. Your quilt ghans are beautiful.

Cindy - Glad to hear you made it home from vacation. A lot of times you can't take pictures in places like the Biltmore because of the age of all the art and pieces...the flashes can start to ruin them on the surface :yes I hope work goes smoothly for you and that you finish up at your parents condo :hug

Faile - :yay for getting your first yarn washed out. Yes, deciding what to make with special yarn is always difficult :think But make it for yourself :yes

Rebby - :welcome I bet 4 kids keep you busy! Too funny about dh and the kids and the light up hook, I can't wait to hear his reaction :bounce The shawl you're working on looks beautiful :yes I agree with Judy, make a lapghan using 2 strands...it'll bulk it up and make it work up quicker :yes Great haul on the yarn at wal mart :clap If you're trying to lose weight, I recommend small portions throughout the day. Last year I started eating every 2-3 hours, small portions and also got myself into the habit of eating until I'm no longer hungry as opposed to eating until I'm full. I've lost over 40 pounds :yes I do workout too, but I always did even before changing the way I was eating. And I typically do not deny myself anything that I want either. But I try to eat healthier snacks or stuff that has some protein instead of junk. Lucky for me I love fruits and veggies. :yes Good luck to you :hug I'm Marisa....feel free to use our first names in here, I think we all have them in our signatures :think I'm a chiropractor that just moved to Pittsburgh in September and opened my own practice in November after working for another chiro in Philadelphia for 6 years. While over there I used to head over to Jersey and meet up with a few ladies from here, which I miss :ghug I'm not married and do not have children. I live with my sister, Steph, and her bf Bean right now and often talk about them and Beans sister, Ingrid and her kids Averie and Sloan. Just so you have an idea. I also have a brother in Phoenix who drives us all crazy, but he has 3 boys Caleb, Joshua, and Malachi and a girl, Madeline :manyheart

Ooooo as I'm talking about myself and getting ready to tell Rebby that I have 2 turtles (but they are still at my parents house in the Poconos being babysat because I didn't want to bring them to my sisters, Bean already puts up with so much) They laid an egg on Sunday :eek Unfortunately they didn't see it until it was already busted up. I told my mom to keep her eye out because there will probably be more since they don't usually lay just one. She said it made a mess of the tank and wanted to clean it. I just told her to pick out the big pieces, but no sense cleaning it until they're done because it'll only keep happening unless she gets it as soon as it comes out because of the turtles swimming and not having sand to bury them in :lol

OK, now you're all up to date. :D I'll be in and out throughout the day

Archived