Our House Part Two

JulieKay

:jackHappy Halloween, Friends :jack

Goodness, gracious, it has been eons since I had a moment to sit and write to you all. I feel so badly for all of you on the East Coast, who are dealing with the heavy blanket of snow, icy conditions and power outages this week. Be really careful and I hope you are able to stay warm :hug

When last I wrote, I was on the road to visit friends in Wisconsin. It was a looong week. We stopped off and had coffee with my in-laws. MIL had invited all of my Sisters-in law and their kiddos (because she had not seen my girls for such a long time, and she was anxious to share her time with them...:shrug) So, we had 16 for coffee at 6:30pm :lol I can laugh, now. It, actually was not that bad; we visited and then went back to my parents' house for the night, where my dad had popped corn and set-out a snack he knew would make Kyri and Annika happy :manyheart Our drive to WI was beautiful and passed quickly, despite being 7 hours long :drive. The baby we went to meet was super-sweet. Her mom took me at my word, when I offered to take over the household to give her a break. She moved Baby's bassinet into our room, gave me instructions on making bottles of formula (never done that before, so I really needed the tips) and heating them in a bottle warmer, and then she disappeared into her bedroom for 4 days. Her hubby worked as per usual, and we saw him in the evenings, in time for dinner. We took the baby out to a park for fresh air and her first swing ride, we went to a pumpkin patch another day, and then, we just hung around the neighborhood and gave the baby a couple of rides in the Baby Bjorn carrier. My muscles were not used to the sway-walk-sway motion, and I was quite sore by the end of the visit, but we all survived, and Baby was content and smiley. Here she is (8 weeks old) with my DH, Kyri and Annika with her favorite sea turtle ;)post-20536-135897708362_thumb.jpg

The house is decorated, I baked a half-dozen batches of cranberry-pumpkin scones for the girls' teachers and our neighbors. Tonight, we will go out trick-or-treating to just one house, but the girls are anxious to visit with the particular family we are going to see, and so am I :yes I have laundry hanging out on the clotheslines and I am going to peruse my recipe files this morning, to see what I want to bake for the cookie swap/fundraiser at the girls' school later this month.

Here is a pic of the Gaelic Bay Ripple Afghan I worked on last month. I finished it just before we left on holiday and sent it to DH's uncle. He called me and thanked me for the cuddly gift, and I could not be happier with how it turned out.

post-20536-135897708351_thumb.jpg

When we were at the pumpkin patch, we asked someone to snap a family picture. I love how clear it came out, and I plan on using it in our Christmas cards this year. post-20536-135897708366_thumb.jpg

Take care and have a good Monday :skeleton

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodness, gracious, it has been eons since I had a moment to sit and write to you all. I feel so badly for all of you on the East Coast, who are dealing with the heavy blanket of snow, icy conditions and power outages this week. Be really careful and I hope you are able to stay warm :hug

When last I wrote, I was on the road to visit friends in Wisconsin. It was a looong week. We stopped off and had coffee with my in-laws. MIL had invited all of my Sisters-in law and their kiddos (because she had not seen my girls for such a long time, and she was anxious to share her time with them...:shrug) So, we had 16 for coffee at 6:30pm :lol I can laugh, now. It, actually was not that bad; we visited and then went back to my parents' house for the night, where my dad had popped corn and set-out a snack he knew would make Kyri and Annika happy :manyheart Our drive to WI was beautiful and passed quickly, despite being 7 hours long :drive. The baby we went to meet was super-sweet. Her mom took me at my word, when I offered to take over the household to give her a break. She moved Baby's bassinet into our room, gave me instructions on making bottles of formula (never done that before, so I really needed the tips) and heating them in a bottle warmer, and then she disappeared into her bedroom for 4 days. Her hubby worked as per usual, and we saw him in the evenings, in time for dinner. We took the baby out to a park for fresh air and her first swing ride, we went to a pumpkin patch another day, and then, we just hung around the neighborhood and gave the baby a couple of rides in the Baby Bjorn carrier. My muscles were not used to the sway-walk-sway motion, and I was quite sore by the end of the visit, but we all survived, and Baby was content and smiley. Here she is (8 weeks old) with my DH, Kyri and Annika with her favorite sea turtle ;) [ATTACH]47179[/ATTACH]

The house is decorated, I baked a half-dozen batches of cranberry-pumpkin scones for the girls' teachers and our neighbors. Tonight, we will go out trick-or-treating to just one house, but the girls are anxious to visit with the particular family we are going to see, and so am I :yes I have laundry hanging out on the clotheslines and I am going to peruse my recipe files this morning, to see what I want to bake for the cookie swap/fundraiser at the girls' school later this month.

Here is a pic of the Gaelic Bay Ripple Afghan I worked on last month. I finished it just before we left on holiday and sent it to DH's uncle. He called me and thanked me for the cuddly gift, and I could not be happier with how it turned out.

[ATTACH]47178[/ATTACH]

When we were at the pumpkin patch, we asked someone to snap a family picture. I love how clear it came out, and I plan on using it in our Christmas cards this year. [ATTACH]47180[/ATTACH]

Great pictures. Glad you had a good time.

Thought you might like to see John all decked out as the Queen of Hearts. He wore heels all day and his feet were killing him by the time he got home. :lol He had a lot more appreciation for what women go throught with clothes, shoes, and makeup. :lol :lol :lol He took first place in the cross-dresser category. That's the back of Kim in the first picture. She was laughing at him!

post-9295-135897708376_thumb.jpg

post-9295-13589770838_thumb.jpg

Hi to everyone! I'm tired and need to be up early so I'm going to bed. I found my nook at Walmart today. Don't know when I'll get to use it but I'm going to open it up and check it out.

Dusti, Sounds like a nice time. What a friend you are taking over the baby and the household so she can get some r&r. I'm like that to when I go to the kids house. I even organized DD's kitchen cupboard (2) of them and a drawer. Love the all the pics, there great. That is a nice ghan you made to.

Linda, What a sport John was dressing up. I always enjoyed it when I dressed up with the kids and or at work.

I'll catch you all tomorrow probably from Maya's. Have a good tuesday!

When last I wrote, I was on the road to visit friends in Wisconsin. It was a looong week. We stopped off and had coffee with my in-laws. MIL had invited all of my Sisters-in law and their kiddos (because she had not seen my girls for such a long time, and she was anxious to share her time with them...:shrug) So, we had 16 for coffee at 6:30pm :lol I can laugh, now. It, actually was not that bad; we visited and then went back to my parents' house for the night, where my dad had popped corn and set-out a snack he knew would make Kyri and Annika happy :manyheart Our drive to WI was beautiful and passed quickly, despite being 7 hours long :drive. The baby we went to meet was super-sweet. Her mom took me at my word, when I offered to take over the household to give her a break. She moved Baby's bassinet into our room, gave me instructions on making bottles of formula (never done that before, so I really needed the tips) and heating them in a bottle warmer, and then she disappeared into her bedroom for 4 days. Her hubby worked as per usual, and we saw him in the evenings, in time for dinner. We took the baby out to a park for fresh air and her first swing ride, we went to a pumpkin patch another day, and then, we just hung around the neighborhood and gave the baby a couple of rides in the Baby Bjorn carrier. My muscles were not used to the sway-walk-sway motion, and I was quite sore by the end of the visit, but we all survived, and Baby was content and smiley. Here she is (8 weeks old) with my DH, Kyri and Annika with her favorite sea turtle ;) [ATTACH]47179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47178[/ATTACH]

When we were at the pumpkin patch, we asked someone to snap a family picture. I love how clear it came out, and I plan on using it in our Christmas cards this year. [ATTACH]47180[/ATTACH]

Awesome pictures! What a great family picture and perfect for a Christmas card. Love that afghan and your Uncle is very lucky!!! Glad you had a good trip!!!

Linda- what a great picture of The Queen of Hearts!!! What a sport!!!!

Marlene- Have fun with Maya tomorrow.

Cindy- hope you get a good night's sleep

Judy- Did you get a lot of trick-or-treaters?

Had a long day at work, then off to see the little guy for a quick visit- then off to craft club and now I'm home just checking in---It was a nice day once work was over!!!

EDIT---Last to post last night so I'll just edit this post, open the house , and wish you all a great day!

Hi, peeps....

Dusti - I got to see your pics - wonderful shots!!!!:)

Joanne - Because the dogs were barking we put the candy out - with a sign to take one.

Yup, you guessed it - gone in a heartbeat.

Lesson learned...we'll make adjustments next year. I already got one hint from someone who had the same thing happen to her once.

Thought you might like to see John all decked out as the Queen of Hearts. He wore heels all day and his feet were killing him by the time he got home. :lol He had a lot more appreciation for what women go throught with clothes, shoes, and makeup. :lol :lol :lol He took first place in the cross-dresser category. That's the back of Kim in the first picture. She was laughing at him!

John is a very bold man to do that! What a hoot!

Good morning gang. We put treats out at Rosie's house and the kids were really good about just taking one. There were lots left when I retrieved the plate later.

Chilly here again today. Rosie and John should get home some time between 4:30 and 6:00 today. Depends on how long it takes to get their luggage and then get from the Marta station on home. They've had a wonderful time with the grandkids the last 10 days. Tillie will be ecstatic to have them back. She doesn't get people food from me, but she does from "mommy & daddy" so she'll be oh so happy. She has staked out the rug by the front door most of the time they've been gone. But she's always happy to see me and likes me loving on her.

:autumn Happy November! :lol :lol :lol

Hi everyone!

Busy day and then I stopped to see DD and wish her a happy birthday! Her first one as a Mom!!! She and DH were going to go out to dinner and her MIL is babysitting so I just stayed for a bit and then left when they did so that 'the other grandma" had her alone time with the little guy!!!

Can't believe my baby is 28!!! Where do the years go?

Hope you all had a good day after Halloween!!!

Hello everyone. Work was quite a bit quieter today. Now I have three days off.

Joanne, happy birthday to DD.

I made some pumpkin muffins last night that were super simple and taste great.

All it took was a box of dry spice cake mix and a 15 oz can of pumpkin. Nothing else, although someone at work told me that you could add a cup of water to the batter, and you'd get lighter muffins. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth, fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for approximately 20 minutes. I'm assuming these are a little healthier than a recipe with eggs, and oil in in. These muffins don't look as nice as most muffin recipes, but they are very moist and tasty.

I'm considering trying these with chocolate cake mix.

Good morning!

Cindy- those pumpkin muffins sound delicious---and best of all--easy!!! thanks for the recipe!!!

Enjoy your days off!!!

Tab- thinking of you and wondering if you have had the US yet?

Off to get ready for another joyful day in Paradise! At least its Hump Day!!!

'morning, peeps!

Frost on the pumpkin this morning here in NJ.....:wgrin:jack

Yay for days off! I think 3 off is much better than 2:yes

All it took was a box of dry spice cake mix and a 15 oz can of pumpkin. Nothing else, although someone at work told me that you could add a cup of water to the batter, and you'd get lighter muffins. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth, fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for approximately 20 minutes. I'm assuming these are a little healthier than a recipe with eggs, and oil in in. These muffins don't look as nice as most muffin recipes, but they are very moist and tasty.

That recipe sounds great! I copied it down:)

Hi everyone!

Busy day and then I stopped to see DD and wish her a happy birthday! Her first one as a Mom!!! She and DH were going to go out to dinner and her MIL is babysitting so I just stayed for a bit and then left when they did so that 'the other grandma" had her alone time with the little guy!!!

Can't believe my baby is 28!!! Where do the years go?

Hope you all had a good day after Halloween!!!

You're handling sharing Ryan really well - good for you!

...and when you have kids it sure brings home the speedy way the years fly by.

Off to get a haircut today.

I have an idea how short I want it...this hairdresser I have is very good, so I'll listen to her input before deciding, but I think it's a function of being a "certain age" that has made my hair texture change - and not for the better.

At least I HAVE hair:lol

Later, gators:hug

Good morning.

Judy, your hair comment made me smile!

I added raisins to the pumpkin muffins I made, and I think next time I will try dried cranberries. Nuts would be good too. The recipe would also make a good quick bread or bars, (add a little cream cheese frosting and they'd be really good!)

Not sure what I will do today besides laundry and housework. I have $70 in Kohls cash that I should go and spend.

Good Morning, Ladies. :) I've just read back through posts and loved seeing all of the pictures and catching up with your news! I've been on the phone a lot (my parents...again) and trying to plan for our trip next week. We're going to the coast Sunday and returning Saturday. Keeping fingers crossed that nothing happens to keep us from going!

On the crochet front - I've finished one more scarf and two fish washcloths! DD's friends love them and she asked for some for Luke's three little friends in his pre-school class.

My to do list is a long one, so had better get started. :yes Have a wonderful day! :manyheart

Good morning all. Rosie and I had a good visit last night. She'll be coming over after a bit and we'll go through the stuff from the Quilt Expo together with Kim.

Oh, those muffins sound yummy. And so easy.

Off to get a haircut today.

I have an idea how short I want it...this hairdresser I have is very good, so I'll listen to her input before deciding, but I think it's a function of being a "certain age" that has made my hair texture change - and not for the better.

At least I HAVE hair:lol

Later, gators:hug

Amen to the hair changes and still having hair. :D

Good morning.

Judy, your hair comment made me smile!

I added raisins to the pumpkin muffins I made, and I think next time I will try dried cranberries. Nuts would be good too. The recipe would also make a good quick bread or bars, (add a little cream cheese frosting and they'd be really good!)

Not sure what I will do today besides laundry and housework. I have $70 in Kohls cash that I should go and spend.

You are making me soooo hungry. And I'd have a ball with that much Kohl's cash.

Good Morning, Ladies. :) I've just read back through posts and loved seeing all of the pictures and catching up with your news! I've been on the phone a lot (my parents...again) and trying to plan for our trip next week. We're going to the coast Sunday and returning Saturday. Keeping fingers crossed that nothing happens to keep us from going!

Hope your get away goes smoothly.

On the crochet front - I've finished one more scarf and two fish washcloths! DD's friends love them and she asked for some for Luke's three little friends in his pre-school class.

My to do list is a long one, so had better get started. :yes Have a wonderful day! :manyheart

Ah, yes, the to-do list. Mine is long also. At least I did finish up two of the Uglee Dolls yesterday. One more to go and not much time to do it. The Bazaar is this weekend. :eek

Good morning, All :autumn Our temps are unusually mild for this time of year, and we have been spending all of our spare time out-of-doors. The garden is all tilled-up, the autumn displays of gourds and corn stalks have disappeared, and the tools have been cleaned up 'til we need them in the spring. DH leaves this Friday for the cabin and a week of deer hunting. I broke-out the blaze-orange hats I made a couple of years ago for the girls, and soon, I will have to pull one on just to walk out to the mailbox :( I do not mind the whole idea of hunting, and I love having venison in the freezer all winter, but I hate the over-zealous 'crazies' who are not local, but who drive around looking for deer. I always worry, when folks are not very familiar with the area, that they will shoot too near the house. Thankfully, the season only lasts 9 days up here. Then, we can go back to feeling safe and not seeing oodles of extra traffic in our quiet little corner of the county.

I have been working on the dishcloths needed for the bouquets for Christmas gifts -- only 4 more to go, and I will be done with those. Have any of you seen the CAL taking place on the Lion Brand Website for the Half Medallion Bag? I had printed out the pattern, before it came up as a CAL, but I was not planning to use the recommended yarn :blush I want a purse out of a solid purple, so I was sitting here trying to decide if Caron SS would be too slippery to use, or if I would like it better in I Love This Cotton - Amethyst. I was gifted a skein of it in a recent swap, and I really do love it :lol I figured I could just order 2 more skeins, to make sure I had enough for the bag... I am not going to get to start it before this weekend, so I have a couple of days to think:think

Tomorrow is my day to volunteer at school, so I had better get my chores done around the house, today. Thank you for the compliments on my photos the other day :manyheart I had tried inserting them with the paper clip thingie at the top of the Message screen, but I always write my responses and then connect to the Internet, and the links got lost in the meantime. Oops :P

Thanks for the quick recipe this morning, Cindy. I love any- and everything pumpkin, so I copied your suggestions and will pick up the boxed mix at the market. Along that same line of thought, I have made "cookies" with just a chocolate cake mix, 1/2 C butter and 1/4 tsp peppermint extract. Like you said, they look a little drier than usual cookies, but they work in a pinch until I really have time to bake. Our neighbors gave us 3 huge winter squash and 3 (think 'larger than a softball-size') gigantic onions from their garden the other night. Even I received treats on Halloween :lol Stuffed Squash is definitely on the menu this weekend, but it is going to take me awhile to use up these onions. At least, I can dice and freeze them for soup and stew.

Have a good day, My Friends :hug

HI all

Judy- So how did the hair appointment go? I chuckled at your comment. My hair texture has definitely changed--but like you said, I'm glad I have hair!

Dusti- I never thought to write out the response and then connect to the internet. Sounds like you are all ready for the big W (winter-I'm not ready--I want Fall forever)

Cindy- The options with the pumpkin muffins sound delicious. I'm going to pick up a box of the spice cake mix and pumpkin this weekend when I go grocery shopping. I may add some choc chips! Did you spend your 70 in Kohl's cash? That would have been first of my things to do!!!

Linda- I'll be you had a great visit with Rosie re-hashing your wonderful time at the Quilting Expo!!

I had a mani/pedi after work-- Heavenly!!!!

See you in the AM

Yes, I spent my Kohls cash. I got some toys for the grandsons and a new crock pot. I went to use my old crock pot last week and when I picked it up off the shelf, I happened to touch the cord underneath it. I could feel bare wires, and when I turned it over and looked at it, the cord was frayed where it entered the pot. I think I'm lucky I didn't have a fire with that pot.

When we went to visit my parents last week, we visited the Mary Maxim store in Port Huron. I bought a bunch of odd skeins of yarn for 97 cents each. I started a Shelley scarf with one of the skeins. I think I have enough yarn to make it about 3 feet long, maybe a little longer. It'll get donated to a local school. The hospital that I work with is located downtown and that particular school, district is quite poor. They partner with the schools to provide tutoring, mentoring, and to meet some other needs, including winter wear.

The Mary Maxim store has an incredible amount of yarn on display. More than the local yarn store here. Their own brand of yarn feels really nice, although I have never used it, (and didn't buy any of it either.) I might get some next time I am in the area though.

Good morning!

Cindy- Typical Grandma using your Kohl's bucks to get some things for your grandsons. I find myself looking at the baby things every time I go shopping now too! I'm glad that your crock pot didn't cause a catastrophe and that you were able to get a new one for "free". Enjoy your day off.

I'm going to see the little guy after work today and help DD plan her Thanksgiving menu/shopping!! She has decided she wants to try Thanksgiving this year at her house! I'm very happy to pass this holiday along to the next generation! I know it will be fun - and I'll help her with everything--as will her MIL.

Have a wonderful day!

Archived