Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Good morning!

Been up for a bit- but DH is demanding attention--doesn't he know that early morning and coffee and the ville go hand-in-hand?:lol:lol

Great to hear from you Marisa! Sounds like you have been very busy and good for you to take a little R&R before tackling some more work in getting your office ready!!! Your parents have been so great with all the help they have been giving you---bet your Pop will be happy to get a little R&R himself:hug Enjoy the day and good luck with setting up the office and starting your own business!!

I finished the RR last night- will try and get pics later- and then it's off to DD and SIL's for the bar-b-que!!

Cindy--hope work is just busy enough for the day to go by quickly, but not TOO busy!!!:hug

Thinking of all of you and sending warm hugs!

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, All ~

I think Summer Vacation is just not long enough :P It seemed okay, back when school let out in June, but we have quite a list of things the girls want to do today, before they are back in school all day long. We rode bicycles, yesterday, had a bonfire in the evening, took the telescope out of the basement and looked at the stars, and then the girls held a sleepover in Annika's room, because it was just too nippy to sleep out in a tent. Today, they want to use the mini golf passes I bought a few weeks ago for a new course in town, they want to go to the wildlife reservation and climb the fire tower, they want to find a few oak saplings to plant in the field, and then want to have enough time to just run around in the sprinkler until they are wrinkly and tired of that activity. They are not even out of bed yet, and already I fell like this: :faint. Good thing I have a new pot of coffee perking :lol

"Crepes" were the winning breakfast-of-choice, yesterday. We had some with a yummy raspberry sauce I made, Annika wanted cinnamon and sugar with butter on her last one, and Kyri went looking for the Nutella for her 'breakfast dessert' crepe. I do not make them very large, so everyone can have a few for a meal. It was a fun way to start the day -- lots of chattering and giggling around the table as everyone made his own concoctions.

I squeezed a small bit of crocheting in in the afternoon, but not enough to brag about. Maybe tomorrow, when the girls are gone to school. Uh-oh, that thought rather turns on the waterworks :cry I better think about just crocheting while I am waiting for them at the end of the day.

I hear footsteps in the hallway, so that means my day is about to become busy.

Joanne, Cindy, Trish, Marlene, Marisa, Mary and Linda ~ Good to see you :ghug

All other Friends ~ We're thinking of you :yes

Here I am!!! :hi

Irene did in fact kick our keesters up here. A town called Prattsville was quite literally washed off the map. Pictures of the town look like a tsunami hit. There were 4 homes left standing when it was done. Margaretville's main street, full of historic buildings last I heard was being condemed. Their grocery & CVS collapsed. Up in Big Indian a bunch of bridges washed away. Who knows when those people will get to drive out again.

We had power crews here from as far away as Kentucky and I think I saw Michigan working to help our power companies get up & going. Road crews have been out all day working. The national guard is here working too. Thats when it really hits you when you see a line of military personnel go by in full gear. It really does look like a war zone up here.

I was extremely lucky personally. My house is right on the road on stream level. Good thing its at a wide point in the stream bed. My neighbor I bought from had bought in 1964, They never saw water come up on the road or start to cross it. So when it was 1/2 way across the road I calle my friend on higher ground and said I'm on my way. I sat with him & our friend Sue between their 2 houses till the weather let up. She has a portable police scanner so we were listening to emergency dispatches all day. At least we had a clue what was going on.

When it let up the 3 of us walked to the bridge which connects my valley to the town side of Phoenicia. It had been submerged. There were people all over it cleaning debris off. Kenne & I went to his house for his chain saw, so he could cut the big trees ofrf and make it passable for cars. Good thing because the other way out of town the road is so washed out I have no idea when it will be passable again. I believe the bridge has to be torn down and rebuilt.

I was scared not knowing what was going on with my house. Especially since I couldn't take my cats with me. Kenne has 4 cat eating shepherds and sue wasnt home yet for me to bring them there. Also undoubtedly i can get 1 or 2 in a carrier then they carry on and the others hide. I've torn the house apart, to the point of frustrated tears trying to get the 4th on the way out to a vet visit. I was sure that even if the water hit the house they could still go upstairs and be ok. I made sure their food & water was filled enough for a few days and had to go for fear of being stranded in the valley with no way out.

I finally got power and a shower on friday. Good thing for camping equipment and solar showers.

Monday My county had a do not drive order for the roads, state of emergency. MY JERK area manager wanted branches to go in anyway. Tuesday she expected us to go to other branches. I was talking to my branch manager and started to fall apart. My nerves were shot. If I went in i just would have sat there crying at everyone. So he came here talked to me abit and then took me to our branch to let people in to fix & clean & stuff. We wrapped up night drop & ATM & had to send it out with a security car to get processed at an open branch. We went to Stephanies house. She was out fixing fence with her MIL to keep their goats in. He said Pam wants you to go to Kingston. Well then she started to have a meltdown which melted me back down. She was out rescuing people all night. She's on the FD. Has to get her own stuff together. And the jerk wants her to go to work. That woman needs a good beating. God thing our manager has some compassion. He let Steph stay home and work.

So

then #12 hits me.

I really do think some force somewhere is trying to push me over the edge.

My friend Wayne suddenly died of a heart attack on friday night. 43 years old, young kids. We'd known each other about a year. But recently found we had some mutual friends and had become friends.

He's the 12th person to die this year. Granted 3 of those 12 werent really my friends but family of friends so it still is hard. Then with the earthquake (felt that with Wayne) and devastation from Irene. My nerves are shot.

I know I'm forgetting more than I'm telling so go ahead and ask if ya want.

heres some links to stories. I know there were a bunch of you tube videos of the floods & aftermath. I cant get youtube on this computer so I cant post links. you could probably google shandaken or phoenicia flood or hurricane and see what its like. Try the towns above I mentioned too.

we are officially a federal disaster area.

I personally dont need anything. I am sorting through clothes, mine, stuff from the store, stuff I collected to make purses(I used to make lots of purses from jeans/ skirts etc) now I have to go through Martons things. When I get enough nerve built up to do it. I know he would have wanted people in need to have things. But this isn't going to be easy. Then I'll go through all my blanket chests and see what else i can send.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phoenicia%20hurricane%20irene

videos

http://woodlandvalleyview.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-09-01T13%3A33%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=10

scroll down to 'Battered By The Storm'

Wrennie!!! I'm so happy to see a post from you----I knew that your region got hit hard too---I was very fortunate--and so were you- in that you still have your house. So many have lost everything thanks to Irene! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Wayne. Please try and hang in there- I know this year has not been kind to you---but I believe that you are never given more than you can handle. You are a strong woman! And a meltdown is totally understandable. Many, many hugs to you---and now I'm off to check out the links you sent.

Wrennie!!! I'm so happy to see a post from you----I knew that your region got hit hard too---I was very fortunate--and so were you- in that you still have your house. So many have lost everything thanks to Irene! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Wayne. Please try and hang in there- I know this year has not been kind to you---but I believe that you are never given more than you can handle. You are a strong woman! And a meltdown is totally understandable. Many, many hugs to you---and now I'm off to check out the links you sent.

I know alot of people have it worse than me.

Some days I just dont feel so strong. Or really just want someone to fall to pieces on. And I dont want someone else to have to deal for me, so..... i keep plugging on.

I'll tell ya tho'. If tomorrow at work someone aske me how my weekend was, they best duck cause I may jusy knock them out.... :lol:lol:lol:lol

Saturday I worked in an alternate branch. Everyone came in boo-hooing cause they had no power for 2 days. I'd tell them I'm from Phoenicia, they'd shut right up.:P

Then sunday, nice hot humid as all get out mosquito-ey sunday, I went with Kenne, Steve & Mike to a property Kenne caretakes, with our trucks, to haul firewood out of the owners woods.

Well for an out of shape ole me, I was beaten to death by the end of the day. :lol Honestly I can't believe I'm not sore today. Fell asleep like a brick last night tho. I never do that.

But I have close to 2 cords out there just from that property. We still have to split some. Thankfully Kenne finds splitting wood fun. And I took him down to Tractor supply and he got himself a 22 ton log splitter for all the wood jobs he has. Good for the really knotty/stubborn pieces.

Wrennie! It is so good to see you here again. :manyheart I am so sorry for what you've gone through and can't believe how much has happened this year. :hug Thankfully, you and your home are safe. I wish we could give you support in person, but for now lots of hugs coming your way. :hug:ghug:hug

Cindy, Way to go with a low carb pizza. What brand makes low carb tortilla shells? I use flour shells for tacos and enchiladeas and I don't think we would notice the difference. That's good news on your Dad. Hope you get to take the train ride. It sounds like fun.

I got them at Sams Club, but I have also seen them at Meijers in the mexican food section.

I know alot of people have it worse than me.

Some days I just dont feel so strong. Or really just want someone to fall to pieces on. And I dont want someone else to have to deal for me, so..... i keep plugging on. I think that what I said, may not have come out right-I just was admiring how strong I think you are dealing with all you have dealt with. I don't know that I would be that strong. Hang in there and thanks for sharing all that you are going through!

:hug

I'll tell ya tho'. If tomorrow at work someone aske me how my weekend was, they best duck cause I may jusy knock them out.... :lol:lol:lol:lol I guess they better watch out!!!!;)

Saturday I worked in an alternate branch. Everyone came in boo-hooing cause they had no power for 2 days. I'd tell them I'm from Phoenicia, they'd shut right up.:P A friend of mine just got her power back yesterday and I would listen to the radio and hear people moaning and groaning about no power for 2 days---I WAS very lucky that I didn't lose mine- but with the hundreds of thousands who were without power- the crews were doing the best they could- We had folks here from Ohio and another state trying to get NJ back....and now we have flash flood warnings up for parts of the state again since some of the rivers just got back to under flood zone stage and we are getting rain again tonight/tomorrow/Tuesday

Then sunday, nice hot humid as all get out mosquito-ey sunday, I went with Kenne, Steve & Mike to a property Kenne caretakes, with our trucks, to haul firewood out of the owners woods.

Well for an out of shape ole me, I was beaten to death by the end of the day. :lol Honestly I can't believe I'm not sore today. Fell asleep like a brick last night tho. I never do that. Thats hard physical labor and with it being humid-I'm not surprised you slept like a brick...

But I have close to 2 cords out there just from that property. We still have to split some. Thankfully Kenne finds splitting wood fun. And I took him down to Tractor supply and he got himself a 22 ton log splitter for all the wood jobs he has. Good for the really knotty/stubborn pieces.

Thats a lot of wood!!!

Hope you sleep well again tonight---and that tomorrow at work goes smoothly:hug

WRENNIE!!!!! :hug :hug :hug I'm so excited to see you here and know that you yourself physically are ok :yay I was praying for you (and will continue with all you still have going on) :hug :hug :hug

Hey ladies,

Just another quick check in before I head up to crash for the night. I got my old laptop up and running after doing a system restore. :yes I'm started a baby rr today for my sister's friend that just had a baby girl on saturday. By start, I think I have the 1st 6 rounds done :lol I tried to get alot of computer stuff done today and address changes.

I should hear from the bank this week about the business loan so I'd totally appreciate some extra prayers in that department????? I'm going to head over to the office to touch up the room we painted. Some of the paint seeped inside the tape at the baseboard, but I have some wipes that will take it right off...just have to be careful not to hit the paint on the wall too :eek And the wall my sister painted needs a little touch up to, but not bad. It was her first painting with a roller and wanted to try it out while my dad was there to make sure she'd be able to help me out and be comfortable with it.

I also am going to try to stop by a signage place that my landlords recommended. And maybe try to start working on a website :eek

That's about it for now, we'll see when I get back :think:lol (not sure if my laptop will continue to be temperamental now that I restored it)

Hi Ladies,

Wrennie, Iam so happy to see your posts! I'm glad your safe! So sorry for all that you are going thru though. Wish I could take some of it away for you. Here's lots of :hug! Sorry to have to deal with the death of another friend. My son has been doing the same kind of work this summer but under different circumstances. Where he is staying they live in the woods and burn it. So they have cut up and stacked up enough wood for 2 winters. He was out there in 90* days to doing it. I glad you have friends so close by looking out for you. Take it easy if you can and know we are all here for you. :hug

Marisa, You and your Dad have to ready for some r&r. It great that your parents, your sister and your aunt are all able to help you with your new office. It will all come together soon.

Cindy, Thanks for letting me know where you found the low carb tortillas.

Joanne, Glad you had good weather today for your bbq.

Mary, Are the fires any closer? If you have to evacuate where will you go?

Dusti, If you and the girls accomplished everything on there list today you will all sleep well tonight. It sounds like a lot of fun though. Good luck with the first day of school tomorrow.

Today hubby and I headed off to Menards. We picked up a new grill. He said he would like to go to his brothers. He called and we went and took grillers with us. We had corn on the cob, grillers, chips and they had fried green tomatoes. Sil & I played a game of dominos and crafted. She hand sew quilts and I crocheted on my swiffer cover. We stopped by stepdaughters inlaws house tonight for a visit. We all are planning on going to GS football game friday night. He had an away game last thursday night and he got to play. Figures!

Tomorrow I'm going to Maya's :clap. She starts school wednesday afternoon so I want to go with her and her Mom. I'll come back friday. Can't wait to see her. Last night she asked me to bring her some books.

I'll be back tomorrow. Hope everyone has a nice tuesday! Hugs and prayers for everyone!

Good morning all---I, too am about to head out to Paradise! It's pouring rain outside which always makes for a longer commute into work--as well as everyone back from vacations and such--and Rutgers is now in session- and I pass right by there.

Have a good day!!

Hugs to all!

I should hear from the bank this week about the business loan

:xfin:xfin:xfin

Hope the loan goes through!!!!

My rollercoaster ride isn't done. We heard about Wayne through Sue who heard it online (facebook I think). Then she called the American Legion and someone there said it was true. NOW the story is he didn't pass away but is in Albany Med. A very good place for heart attack patients.

Praying that this rumor is true and he's still with us. I need to actually see him to believe it now.

WHY do people state things as fact when they don't really know? REALLY ticks me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope he's going to be ok.

Good morning, everyone. It rained all day long yesterday, sometimes quite hard, but no tornadoes or other damage here. Yesterday I watched TV, crocheted, and read. Also snuggled with Sweet Pea a lot. My joints ached horribly from the weather so wasn't terribly productive, but I now have 3 preemie afghans and hats made. 2 sets still need to have the tails hidden. Sunday I went back to Walmart and picked up a piece of material I'd forgotten to look for and the yarn for more preemie sets that I'd also forgotten. Had a late lunch at Jim and Nick's Barbeque. Yummy. Spent a good bit of Sunday evening with Rosie and John. Our chattering helps distract Rosie from the pain. She had an 8:00 appointment for the shot this morning. Their car isn't back yet so I have my fingeres crossed that everything is going okay and that she will actually get it this time.

Got word that my mom has pneumonia and was hospitalized yesterday. Prayers for her would be appreciated.

Wrennie!!!!! It's wonderful to hear from you!!! :hug:hug:hug:hug Your area has sure been hard hit. Checked out the links you posted. WOW!!!!! :eek :eek :eek Reminds me of some of the flooding we got hit with when I was a kid in northeast Iowa. NOT fun!!! Hope that the rumor that Wayne is actually in the hospital instead of dead is the truth. :hug :hug :hug You and your part of the country have been and will continue to be in my thouhts and prayers.

Oh, Faille, those Thai Spring Rolls sound yummy. Congratulations on finally figuring them out. Hope you and your son had a good time yesterday.

Cindy ~ Your vacation plans sound like fun, especially the Agawa Valley train trip. Also glad to hear that your dad is finally improving.

Dusty ~ Good luck finding glittery shoes for Kyri. Would it be possible to add some glitter to a pair using permanent fabric glue? Sounds like the weekend plans for the girls were great fun.

Trish ~ Time for baby is getting closer and closer. My son was 10 dys late and my daughter was 3 weeks late and had to be induced. Hope this one doesn't have to go that route for your DD.

Marlene ~ Have fun with Maya's first day of school. You can tell your bother that the inhaler is NOT what is causing the holes in his lung. They are from the COPD which causes the alveoli to get bigger and bigger and bigger, eventually causing the holes as they are stretched.

Marisa ~ Sounds like you are making great progress on the office. Saying prayers that the loan goes through. :hug :hug :hug

Rosie got the shot this morning! They put her to sleep to give it to her and she didn't even realize she's been out when it was over. She's resting now. It may take 2-3 days for her to feel the full results, but she's doing better already.

Good morning! It's 53 degrees and extremely foggy this morning and only supposed to hit the low 80's. This has pretty much the way the summer has been. Fog usually clears around 11 or so and it warms up really quick after that. Nothing too exciting going on around here right now. Just going to do some chores, crochet and help kids with homework. Looks like I'll be going back to work sometime next month:(:lol I didn't think I would like staying at home, but I actually have grown to love it! Oh, well, all good things must come to an end!

Wrennie-:clap So glad that you are ok! We were all concerned when we hadn't heard from you.:hug Hope that Wayne is in the hospital and recovering! I can't stand it when people give out information without confirming it first!

Linda-Glad Rosie got the shot and is feeling better. Sorry about your mom, hope she recovers quickly:hug I'm hoping that this grandbaby gets here soon- dd had to be induced last time and it didn't eork the first time so she had to go back a few days later and do it again. GS was already 2 weeks late and by the time she had him he was 9lbs 11 oz! How she had him naturally I have no clue as she is a tiny girl.

Marisa- Good luck with the loan!:xfin

Joann- Glad the weather held out for the bbq. Be careful in the rain today and hope paradise isn't too busy!

Marlene-Enjoy Maya's first day of school!:hug

Cindy-Hope work is quiet!

Hope everyone has a great day!:manyheart:hug

..................:: Good Morning House::.................

My apologies for not being around at all the last handfull of days!

I have been super busy getting stuff done for hubbys fundraiser and the craft fair.

Been busy with the boys.... we needed to take them shopping for more school clothes.

Had to go get my turtle "Daytona" a new tank... he needed more room BAD! He's a happier guy now! :D

Patricks wallet is still missing. I'm sure it was tossed in the trash. :sigh.

Marisa....... Thank you for helping with my fundraiser for hubby! These are awesome!

post-18634-135897694265_thumb.jpg

Joanne....... Thank you sweetie... you have blessed me so much! These will be perfect for the fundraiser!

post-18634-135897694269_thumb.jpg

:heart

:mug

Good Morning, Ladies. :) I hope everyone had a good weekend!

Wrennie ~ Oh, I do hope that your friend is in the hospital! :hug What an emotional roller coaster for you and his other friends.

Dusti ~ How is mom on the first day of school? :manyheart I know you miss them terribly...DD never cried on the first day of school, but I did. :yes

Linda ~ That is great news about Rosie. :) Hopefully, the shot will help a lot and she'll be much better soon. So sorry about your joint pain.:hug

Marisa ~ You've already done a lot! :cheer I know there's lots more to do...hope you find out about the loan very soon. :yes

Marlene ~ Have fun with Maya!

Hi to all the House Ladies. :)

I went to watch Luke at Little Gym this a.m. They go every Tuesday and I try and go once or twice a month. It is very entertaining. :lol

Hi to Tammy, Trish, and Mary. I just finished putting the border on the girlie quilt. Now to iron the top and make the sandwich. Than I can do the quilting. Really have put the pedal to the metal as the time is flying by and I still have to mail it.:manyheart

Oh, my goodness, but Kim is being feisty today. I brought her up front to the kitchen to work on putting the quilt sandwich together with some of the excess in her lap. That was okay for the first few rows. Then she decided to move the excess from her lap to the counter. :P It was still doable but causing some problems, especially on her end of the quilt. Then she decided to push it all away from her and towards me. :blush I'd fuss at her and she'd grin, let me put in a few pins and then start pushing at it again. And each time she pushed it, she pushed it farther. And farther. And farther. :devil I'm about half done and had to stop. She's grinning like mad and not about to cooperate at all any more. :devil I'll get her her supper and finish with the pinning after John gets home from work. The PILL!!!! She's delighted with herself. :D When John called to say he was on his way home, he just laughed at her antics.

Hi all,

Wrennie- I sure hope that Wayne IS in Albany Med and recuperating!! How awful for everyone to think he was dead--I sure hope he is alive! Hope your day went ok. Are you getting the torrential rains that we are getting here? I thought of you and of the people in the northern part of NJ--they DO NOT NEED ANY MORE RAIN!!!

Linda- Sounds like Kim is really being feisty--you sure have patience!!! I'm so glad that Rosie was able to get the shot and hope that she begins to feel better real soon!!!

Tammy- I'm glad that the package arrived and sorry it wasn't more--That's too bad that the wallet wasn't found--:(

Paradise was crazy busy today but I left ON TIME!! It'll be there tomorrow!!!

Mary- That must be so fun watching Luke at the little gym!!

Marlene- Hope that Maya had a great first day of school!

Trish- I could definitely get used to staying home and not working---absolutely, most definitely--but right now it's not an option- and I'm grateful that since I need a job, that I have one! Enjoy the rest of the time home--and I guess it means one thing--that you are almost healed!!!!

Dusti- Did the girls have a good first day today?

Thinking of ALL of our housemates!!!!

Hugs!

Archived