Pattern Price Pain Threshold

Pattern Price Pain Threshold  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Pattern Price Pain Threshold

• 99c
    • $1.99
    • $2.99
    • $3.99
    • All your hooks and yarns (hehe. Just to make you smile)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, I say to not underestimate yourself. I pay $5 - $7 for well written patterns all the time. Why do I do it? Because I can't find those patterns anywhere other than from that

particular designer.

Here are some examples:

Santa Claus: http://www.deliciouscrochet.com/products/amigurumi/santa-claus/

Caveman: http://www.deliciouscrochet.com/products/amigurumi/caveman/

old time car: http://www.deliciouscrochet.com/products/amigurumi/classic-car/

Those links listed above are just a few ami's made by DeliciousCrochet - Paola Navarro. There are some cheaper ones I've purchased, but here are some links to only some of the patterns that I purchased for $6.20 each. They are well written and worth every penny. (I have a LOT of her patterns)

I've also purchased MANY tapestry crochet patterns from Carol Ventura. They start around $5 each and I think I've paid up to $7 for some. She sells her online patterns using Lulu and Patternfish. Those patterns are also worth the money. You can't find a single tapestry crochet pattern anywhere other than online. http://stores.lulu.com/CarolVentura

I second FerretLady and Katchkan (or third, or fourth, or whatever we're up to by now). I think your lovely afghan should go for at least $4-5. Honestly, I don't think I'd pay $8 for a pattern for an afghan, but I would for a sweater pattern. Garments seem so much more difficult, with shaping and all, and the price should reflect that level of attention and thoroughness in design, description, layout, writing clarity, etc. But your motif is unique, and if there are small flourishes or techniques that you include, than $5 seems appropriate.

I agree with everyone else re: rather seeing my money go to an independent designer than the publishers giving the designer a token amount. While it used to be that having a pub behind you was the way to success as a designer, I think we've seen enough success stories over the past few years, like Drew Emborsky and Lisa Naskrent and our Kathy, who started off independently online and then got the attention of publishers, that it seems like a reasonable and better way to start off.

The Internet has a big mouth. Patty

You want talk about crazy I was watching a pattern on EBay started out for 99 cents had a 5 day hold on the pattern before ending this was a special pattern never seen it before. I put a limit what I would spend a couple of dollars. But the bidding went so crazy that it ended up selling for $41.00. The funny part I found a book that had many patterns in it and I got that pattern and many others I liked for $6.00. So it pays to wait it will come around again.

• 3 weeks later...
>>talk about crazy I was watching a pattern on EBay started out for 99>>>>ended up selling for $41.00. >>> I found a book that had many patterns in it and I got that pattern and many others I liked for $6.00. So it pays to wait it will come around again.

I had that happen too. There was a pattern leaflet on eBay that was going for over 50 plus from different sellers. I waited and got it with some others for a really good price.

I don't think I would buy a single pattern though as there are nice leaflets with similar patterns that would seem more reasonable to me.

>>>> Found a shawl pattern with a very intriguing picture - paid $3.50 The pattern instructions were: Chain 30, single crochet in each stitch. Repeat to desired length. Now, I was HOT! I was mad. >>>> did I get my moneys worth? No, not by a long shot. >>>> Good Luck!

I would have been mad too. I see many patterns that look very simple by the pictures for what seem like high prices.

I think you need to charge by the amount of work too though as more intricate work would be more than a

simpler one.

You want talk about crazy I was watching a pattern on EBay started out for 99 cents had a 5 day hold on the pattern before ending this was a special pattern never seen it before. I put a limit what I would spend a couple of dollars. But the bidding went so crazy that it ended up selling for $41.00. The funny part I found a book that had many patterns in it and I got that pattern and many others I liked for $6.00. So it pays to wait it will come around again.

All I have to say is :eek:eek:eek

I paid $10.00 for Drew Emborsky's "The Flying Afghan" pattern. Yea, it's pricey, but there is no other pattern that even looks similar to it.

I just recently started making this aghan and hope to have it finished in a month or two. I can hardly wait to have one of my own :hook

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/the-crochet-dudes-flying-afghan/373627

He also sells the pattern in paper form too. It's even more costly at $17.85. If the pattern you are selling is as detailed as his, I would definitely spend the same amount again. I must say though... his pattern is VERY unique and that is what intrigued me to spend that much money for the pattern.

Honestly, I will pay $2-3 for a single pattern in a heartbeat if I like it or think I will. For me to pay anymore than that it has to be something there is no way I could come up with it or find something similar. Like mama24boyz snail and spongie patterns, I paid $5 a piece for those.

I prefer to buy patterns in books or magazines because even if there is only one pattern I truly like, I might be able to use another of the patterns for gifts.

The only thing that I have bought above that price is when I spent $100 on five of the japanese Ondori Books, but on average there is 25-50 thread patterns in each of those. So well worth the money.

Good luck on your sales!

I usually do not buy single patterns unless it is something very unique. Recently I placed an order from a website for pattern books and there was one afghan pattern that had stuffed toys included, was all part of the theme, I believe it was $7.95 but I had never seen anything similar like it so I did order it.

Usually I just purchase books and leaflets with multiple patterns.

I would say, depending on the complexity of the pattern, that the amounts listed from other posters are about right.

LI Roe

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the feedback. The pattern in question is now up for sale and has done better than I expected (= but I didn't expect to sell any, so that's definitely better :lol ). I took note of all of your suggestions and set up a step-by-step tutorial with photos and added a plain black-and-white version with a stitch diagram, too, so as not to waste printer ink. I also added a template with the motifs laid out, so people could print it out and colour it in as a guide for their own afghan. This simple pattern is now 12 pages long :lol, so I hope I'm giving customers value for money (I have also done a few PM tutorials, so I hope I'm also giving good customer service :lol:lol:lol)

I'm on my way to building a crochet empire! (Or maybe not. Doris Chan doesn't need to quake in her little boots just yet.)

• 6 months later...

I am willing to purchase a pattern, but for the most part Idesign my own. I would really have to like a pattern to purchase it. For the most part, if I get a good look at something I can make it. My grandmother was the same way.

she could look at something in a store and go home and design a sewing,crochet or knitting pattern for it from memory using a notebook and brown paper.

I am willing to purchase a pattern, but for the most part Idesign my own. I would really have to like a pattern to purchase it. For the most part, if I get a good look at something I can make it. My grandmother was the same way.

she could look at something in a store and go home and design a sewing,crochet or knitting pattern for it from memory using a notebook and brown paper.

My grandma could do that too! She could not read a pattern, really but she could look at anything and make it! I admire that talent, especially since I do not have it at all! The only things I can design on my own are flat things like afghans and scarves! LOL! That is not designing but rather just making choices of what to put where. I would love to be able to design anything I want. But I am happy that others have the talent and many are willing to share (some for free, some reasonably and some that I won't be getting - ;)

I don't mind some of the prices but others make me roll my eyes and quickly go on to the next page! The ones that are really crazy are easy patterns that there are already dozens of free patterns so close to theirs you wonder if they just copied them -- and then they put a $6 price tag on them!!! (Just a made up example so not talking about any one in particular). I think things that there are already MANY of online should be priced very low unless the person has something totally unique and amazing. For instance -- I have dozens of slouchy beret patterns. I like making and wearing them. They also make great gifts. My favorites include free patterns. I won't buy another unless it really strikes me as classy AND the price is pretty low. Same thing with scarves, fingerless gloves, etc... If you know there are plenty out there, price your pattern low. Now if it is something never seen before .... you can go a little higher, but still don't try to price people out of the ballpark. Think of it this way -- some may only make ONE item with your pattern. Is the price, along with the yarn they will have to buy going to make the finished object cost way more than it is worth? If so, then don't price your pattern so high. These are just my opinions though. People with creativity are free to do whatever they want. I won't be paying high prices unless it is something totally new and awe-inspiring but .... they can feel free to do as they please. I think most all of the designers that frequent the 'Ville, price their patterns well within our reach. I am happy to pay @$3-4 for a pattern I know I can use.

Wanted to add .... there are always exceptions to the rule. for instance, this pattern is $6 and I think it is a bargain! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/amigurumi-woodland-christmas-ornament-crochet-pattern-set It is really 12 patterns in one though ;)

Then sometimes I will find one that just takes my eye and I want to wear it like this one: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/waves-of-gray I will probably pay her $6.95 just because I like it so much but I really think the price should be no more than $5. But just like clothes, when you find something that you like and it looks good on you (or you think it will) then you are willing to pay a little more. :D

The only things I can design on my own are flat things like afghans and scarves! LOL! That is not designing but rather just making choices of what to put where. I would love to be able to design anything I want.

Oh, DK - but that IS designing! The hard part is writing it into a pattern that others can use. Don't sell yourself short!

I was surprised to see this thread back up at the top of the list!

I just wanted to say a big thank you again to everyone for their feedback. The pattern has been on sale since the start of the summer and I continue to get a surprise whenever someone buys one! The nicest thing is that I've got lots of emails from customers telling me how well-written the pattern is, and I've seen posts on Ravelry where my pattern has been recommended as an example of one that is very user-friendly and extensive. That's made me very happy because I tried to layout the pattern in a way that I would like see it as a customer. :)

I would pay anywhere between $3-7 for a pattern that I really really love! Good luck!

It really depends on the pattern. If it's something I really want to make, and the price isn't too high, then I go for it. I have paid $5 to $7 for a pattern. But that's just me.

I love a lot of the patterns available on Esty. I usually look there and at Ravelry when looking for a new pattern.

:manyheart

• 7 months later...

when I first started i bought a few pattern books but I no longer find it necessary as I can easily find the Patterns I want to make for free thanks to the internet and gracious pattern designers we have all over the world.

so unless it is an extraordinary and totally unique pattern I would never buy a pattern

Longterm I wonder if it's a better investment of my time and energy to sell many copies for less, than few copies for more? :think

The first decision you have to make relates to your view of your work.

Is this a Business with a viable product -

Or is this a Hobby and you don't really care about actually profiting.

If you are working on a business plan, then keep reading but remember I do not target people - this is about business and I would give the same food for thought to anyone hungry for information.

If it is a hobby, stop reading now, because I will probably (albeit not meaning to do so) hurt your feelings.

Pricing is a fairly straight forward function. Of course every item priced has different nuances.

Patterns, for example, need to include the costs of development, (writing, testing, model creation, special tools, model materials) , marketing (advertising, web site, blog, etc) Sales (Internet access, web site, etsy, commissions, fees to Ravelry, PayPal or other)

Because you are asking about what seems to be a downloadable pattern, I have not included production/printing/packaging.

As a side note, it has, for more than a decade, intrigued me that the cost of producing/printing/packaging is so close to the real costs related to electronic delivery options.

The most difficult part of the equation is estimating the likely volume of sales. And, of course the margin of profit you need to make this a worthwhile use of your time. Profit by the way DOES NOT include any of the development and production costs mentioned above.

Which brings me to your comment - you need to find a middle ground and certainly some means for automated delivery or you will never find a price people are willing to pay that is fair to you.

Wheat

who is supposed to be finishing a layout for a new line of patterns, but I am bored with the project <G> so visting the Ville

For me, it all depends on whether or not I think I could possibly write a similar pattern myself. I like to look at finished products and then see if I can recreate them. I also take much inspiration from looking at other finished products and using my own artistic twist on it. I'm in the process of writing my own patterns to be used within the ministry I'm building.

Some ami creatures I know I would pay up to $5 a piece, especially if they are rather odd (like a grasshopper for example). An afghan, well, I would probably not pay more than maybe a dollar or two --- because I can buy a book of 10 patterns for less than 5 bucks.

The problem with buying books is that nobody's going to want to make every single pattern within a given book. I've been known to buy them just for a single pattern that I absolutely had to have!

Part of the price should include the complexity of the pattern. I can't see anyone charging $6 for a one row repeat pattern but I can see that for an Aran ghan with many specialty stitches in it.

Another aspect of pricing would be how unique is the pattern. Are there other patterns out there that are similar? If not, then price the pattern higher because people will go for the uniqueness and special quality of it.

Amigurumi is a perfect example of this - finding a free grasshopper pattern has proven impossible for me and I really need it, so I've been wanting to purchase the one I've found on Etsy. I don't have the Ami pattern writing skills yet to create it on my own or to tweek a pattern that I could improvise from, so I'm more than likely going to buying the pattern... even though it is a little pricey for my budget.

Another aspect of pricing would be how unique is the pattern. Are there other patterns out there that are similar? If not, then price the pattern higher because people will go for the uniqueness and special quality of it.

Amigurumi is a perfect example of this - finding a free grasshopper pattern has proven impossible for me and I really need it, so I've been wanting to purchase the one I've found on Etsy. I don't have the Ami pattern writing skills yet to create it on my own or to tweek a pattern that I could improvise from, so I'm more than likely going to buying the pattern... even though it is a little pricey for my budget.

I agree. If it's a pattern where there are several that are similar, then I would price mine lower. But that's just me.

I also love all the free patterns on Ravelry that are posted. If I'm looking for something new to make, I go check there first.

:manyheart

Olivia - like in Germany over here in Ireland (as you know!) there is not much going on in the world of crochet patterns and therefore the choices are minimal. I mostly buy on line and the most I have paid for a single pattern (of which I have bought many) is about £5.99. The majority of these have great step by step photos which definately add to the pattern. Good luck with your venture!

Archived