Help with turning a circle into a square

applegurl

Question

Hi everyone,

I have made a small circle which has 28dc on the outer round, and now I want to turn it into a square with clusters in each corner. I have tried lot of different ways, but can't get it to lie flat, and look like a square.

So can anyone suggest how to do this?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

To make a circle to a square divide up with 3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet in corners work it like a granny square. I am making a couple afghans this way using a smaller square. Welcome to Crochetville. Hope this helps you also check you tube they have many crochet video's that may be easier for you.

When you make a circle into a square, you need to build the corners without adding any more height to the sides than you have to. You'll want the sides to be sc, and then gradually build to the corner by raising the stitch height.

I suggest that you try the Circle of Friends square and then try your square again.

http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Afghan%20Squares/Circle%20of%20Friends%20Square.pdf

To make a circle to a square divide up with 3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet in corners work it like a granny square. I am making a couple afghans this way using a smaller square. Welcome to Crochetville. Hope this helps you also check you tube they have many crochet video's that may be easier for you.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think to work it as I would do a granny square, but that does make sense! I will definitely try this.:yay

When you make a circle into a square, you need to build the corners without adding any more height to the sides than you have to. You'll want the sides to be sc, and then gradually build to the corner by raising the stitch height.

I suggest that you try the Circle of Friends square and then try your square again.

http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Afghan%20Squares/Circle%20of%20Friends%20Square.pdf

Thanks for your help. I was doing something similar to what you described- I tried 2dc ch2 2dc in the corners and then sc in between. So at least I had kind of the right idea!:)

I have also tried circle of friends pattern before and found it quite easy to do.

When I do this, I also include a couple hdc's to help create a smooth contour. So where you have the dc's in the corner area, I would put in some hdc's then sc's then hdc's then the corner dc's.

Hope this helps you in some way!:)

When I do this, I also include a couple hdc's to help create a smooth contour. So where you have the dc's in the corner area, I would put in some hdc's then sc's then hdc's then the corner dc's.

Hope this helps you in some way!:)

So put a hdc before the corners and then again after? Thanks:)

As mentioned in the earlier posts, a way to do this is to make 'corners' using gradually taller stitches. 

Your circle is going to require a lot of rounds to achieve a corner because it is so large.  Here is a pattern with different sizes of circles to squares, you might be able to adapt the largest circle's concept to your piece.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70408AD.html

You will have to register with LionBrand to see the pattern, but it's free and they don't bug you with e-mails.

Archived