Newborn Ballcap Pattern

heaverinscrochet

I've made many ballcaps using a light weight baby yarn, however I wanted to use a worsted weight yarn. I adapted the pattern to compensate for the different yarn and wanted to share the end result. I haven't had this pattern tested, hopefully it is clear and error-free. Please contact me if you find any problems with it or have difficulties understanding the directions. Enjoy

:hook

Newborn Ballcap

Create this adorable ball cap for the littlest player in your life.

DESIGNED BY

Helen Heaverin

SKILL LEVEL

Easy

FINISHED SIZE

Newborn

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS

13.5”

GAUGE

8 dc and 5 rows = 2”

MATERIALS

· Caron Simply Soft 3 oz. (85 g) skein

1 skein Soft Blue (makes approx. 2 caps)

· Size F/5/3.75 mm crochet hook or size to obtain gauge

· Tapestry needle

· Stitch markers

SPECIAL STITCHES

Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc): YO, insert hook from front to back around post of dc on previous rnd. Complete same as regular dc.

Beginning Double Crochet Decrease (beg dc dec): Ch 2, dc in next dc, (counts as 1 dc).

PATTERN NOTES

Beg Ch-3 counts as dc.

Sl st in top of beg ch-3 to join

If the hat seems too large, omit rnd 5, and cont. to work pattern, just remember the count will be less for the remaining rnds. This should decrease the hat to 12" circumference to fit smaller heads.

BALLCAP

Starting at the top of cap, Ch 5, sl st to form ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, 11 dc in ring, join: 12 dc.

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, *2dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, rep from * around, join: 24 sts.

Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 36 sts.

Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in each of next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *skip next dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 48 sts.

Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 54 sts.

Rnd 6: Beg dc dec (see special stitches), dc in each of next 6 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, *skip next dc, dc in each of next 7 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, sl st in top of beg dc dec (not the ch-2).

Rnd 7: Ch 3, dc in each of next 7 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *dc in each of next 8 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join.

Rnds 8-11: Rep rnds 6-7 twice. Fasten off.

BRIM:

Place stitch marker on either side of hat where the brim will be. This is where the brim will end when completed.

Note: I folded the hat in half evenly and placed stitch markers over the fpdc on either side, leaving 2 fpdc lines and 3 dc spaces in between.

With RS facing, join yarn with sc in 6th st from marker on the right side;

Row 1: Sc in each of next 16 dc, turn: 17 sc. (this leaves 4 dc between marker and last sc)

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in next sc, *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc, rep from * across, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each of next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 2 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 6: Ch 1, sc in each of next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 4 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, (remove marker),turn.

Row 7: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in next dc of hat (remove marker),cont. sc in each st around entire hat to other side of brim, join yarn to side of brim. Fasten off, weave in loose ends with tapestry needle.

©2011 Helen Heaverin This pattern is copyright protected and for personal use only.

All other uses must receive written permission.

post-45895-135897626988_thumb.jpg

post-45895-13589762699_thumb.jpg

post-45895-135897626992_thumb.jpg

post-45895-135897626994_thumb.jpg

Edited by heaverinscrochet
adding copyright information
  • Like 5

Thank you -- that is so cute! I can just see some dad being ultra-proud when his newborn has his very own ballcap (in dad's team colors of course!). That is how I told my husband about the sex of our youngest son. I found out at the doc appointment and on the way home stopped and bought the tiniest little ball cap I could find. I asked my DH, "Who do you think might wear this?" He just grinned ear to ear and said -- "A BOY! Really?" Ahhhh, thanks for giving me that memory moment. :)

This is too cute and I want to make one for my week and a half old grandson. However, I need to make it bigger than newborn, he weighed 10 pounds, 2 ounces at birth, and this will be way too small as is. Any ideas on making it bigger? Thanks!!

You could try using a larger hook or a thicker weight yarn. This hat really stretched quite a bit as well, the doll has a circumference of 15". You can always add more rows to make it longer to compensate for the stretching. BTW congrats on your new grandson :)

I've made two of these, (one chocolate brown and the other sage green) amazingly cute!! I don't have pictures of my grandson wearing them yet, but when I do, I will post them here. My stepson (the baby's daddy) loved them calling them "bada$$, and specifically requested the green one. Thanks for helping me bond with my little angel!!

This was very cute. I'm just starting to do some charity work making baby hats for hospitals. Noticed you were from KY. My hubby's from there (Louisville but his daddy's from Leitchfield originally). Thanks for the cute pattern. I'm still on the simpler stuff right now. Might try it later on, though. Becky

I want to try it in thread, too...for a keychain (It will have to be stiffened, I know) for a secret sister thing I'm in--she loves baseball...problem is that she knows I crochet--I'll save it for the "reveal" month. But this will be great for gifts for new babies too...especially the little boys... :)

I want to try it in thread, too...for a keychain (It will have to be stiffened, I know) for a secret sister thing I'm in--she loves baseball...problem is that she knows I crochet--I'll save it for the "reveal" month. But this will be great for gifts for new babies too...especially the little boys... :)

That's a great idea! I would love to know how it turns out.