Newborn Ballcap Pattern

heaverinscrochet

Hi Helen

Thank you for sharing the pattern. I hope you don't mind my making a few changes, to fit a preemie. Here is what I did.

I followed your pattern, used fingering yarn instead, followed the pattern all the way up to doing the brim. Then I did the following. I apologize for not having a pic, need batteries for digital camera. Oh and I folded up a small amount to form a type of roll, holds the flap up.

Rhyanna’s adjustments

Baseball newborn cap adjustments I used Phentex Fingering Weight Yarn doubled.

Same Size Crochet Hook F. makes the hat smaller, may fit preemie.

For the brim

join where one front-post is. ***Notation***place ends of yarn on top of stitches going to crochet over. Then just crochet over those ends for a couple of stitches, this locks it in. snip any sticking out.

ch 2, hdc in next 10 sts.

ch 2, turn. do this for 3-4 rows.

Slip stitch in each hdc, down the side and around and up the other side.

to top of brim. sc in first st, hdc in next, 3dc in next, 2dc in next

2 st. 3 dc in next. hdc in next, sc in next stitch, slip stitch in next.

join at first slip stitch-joining. weave in ends.

Newborn Ballcap

Create this adorable ball cap for the littlest player in your life.

DESIGNED BY

Helen Heaverin

SKILL LEVEL

Easy

FINISHED SIZE

Newborn

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS

13.5”

GAUGE

8 dc and 5 rows = 2”

MATERIALS

· Caron Simply Soft 3 oz. (85 g) skein

1 skein Soft Blue (makes approx. 2 caps)

· Size F/5/3.75 mm crochet hook or size to obtain gauge

· Tapestry needle

· Stitch markers

SPECIAL STITCHES

Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc): YO, insert hook from front to back around post of dc on previous rnd. Complete same as regular dc.

Beginning Double Crochet Decrease (beg dc dec): Ch 2, dc in next dc, (counts as 1 dc).

PATTERN NOTES

Beg Ch-3 counts as dc.

Sl st in top of beg ch-3 to join

If the hat seems too large, omit rnd 5, and cont. to work pattern, just remember the count will be less for the remaining rnds. This should decrease the hat to 12" circumference to fit smaller heads.

BALLCAP

Starting at the top of cap, Ch 5, sl st to form ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, 11 dc in ring, join: 12 dc.

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, *2dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, rep from * around, join: 24 sts.

Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 36 sts.

Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in each of next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *skip next dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 48 sts.

Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 54 sts.

Rnd 6: Beg dc dec (see special stitches), dc in each of next 6 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, *skip next dc, dc in each of next 7 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, sl st in top of beg dc dec (not the ch-2).

Rnd 7: Ch 3, dc in each of next 7 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *dc in each of next 8 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join.

Rnds 8-11: Rep rnds 6-7 twice. Fasten off.

BRIM:

Place stitch marker on either side of hat where the brim will be. This is where the brim will end when completed.

Note: I folded the hat in half evenly and placed stitch markers over the fpdc on either side, leaving 2 fpdc lines and 3 dc spaces in between.

With RS facing, join yarn with sc in 6th st from marker on the right side;

Row 1: Sc in each of next 16 dc, turn: 17 sc. (this leaves 4 dc between marker and last sc)

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in next sc, *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc, rep from * across, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each of next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 2 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 6: Ch 1, sc in each of next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 4 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, (remove marker),turn.

Row 7: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in next dc of hat (remove marker),cont. sc in each st around entire hat to other side of brim, join yarn to side of brim. Fasten off, weave in loose ends with tapestry needle.

©2011 Helen Heaverin This pattern is copyright protected and for personal use only.

All other uses must receive written permission.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just finished making this project. It was very fast and easy. I love the little brim on the hat, now he'll look just like dad! :)

There was only one thing that was a little confusing to me and I kept missing the stitch. It is where the stitches are listed ex: dc in each of next 7 dc, (dc,fpdc). I would count the 7 and then do the fpdc, missing the dc that is in the same stitch (inside the parenthesis) as the fpdc. I understand the reason why it was written this way, but I think clarification on this should also be listed under special stitches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having trouble with the brim.  Where do I insert my hook?  is it on the back of a loop or the entire loop or where/?  It doesn't seem very firm when I was done so I ripped it out.  Thought about using 2 strands of yarn to make the brim firm so it will stand up better.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/11/2011 at 10:28 AM, heaverinscrochet said:

I've made many ballcaps using a light weight baby yarn, however I wanted to use a worsted weight yarn. I adapted the pattern to compensate for the different yarn and wanted to share the end result. I haven't had this pattern tested, hopefully it is clear and error-free. Please contact me if you find any problems with it or have difficulties understanding the directions. Enjoy

:hook

Newborn Ballcap

DESIGNED BY

Helen Heaverin

SKILL LEVEL

Easy

FINISHED SIZE

Newborn

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS

13.5”

GAUGE

8 dc and 5 rows = 2”

MATERIALS

· Tapestry needle

· Stitch markers

SPECIAL STITCHES

Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc): YO, insert hook from front to back around post of dc on previous rnd. Complete same as regular dc.

Beginning Double Crochet Decrease (beg dc dec): Ch 2, dc in next dc, (counts as 1 dc).

PATTERN NOTES

Beg Ch-3 counts as dc.

If the hat seems too large, omit rnd 5, and cont. to work pattern, just remember the count will be less for the remaining rnds. This should decrease the hat to 12" circumference to fit smaller heads.

BALLCAP

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, *2dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, rep from * around, join: 24 sts.

Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 36 sts.

Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in each of next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *skip next dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 48 sts.

Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 54 sts.

Rnd 6: Beg dc dec (see special stitches), dc in each of next 6 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, *skip next dc, dc in each of next 7 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, sl st in top of beg dc dec (not the ch-2).

Rnd 7: Ch 3, dc in each of next 7 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *dc in each of next 8 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join.

BRIM:

Place stitch marker on either side of hat where the brim will be. This is where the brim will end when completed.

Note: I folded the hat in half evenly and placed stitch markers over the fpdc on either side, leaving 2 fpdc lines and 3 dc spaces in between.

Row 1: Sc in each of next 16 dc, turn: 17 sc. (this leaves 4 dc between marker and last sc)

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in next sc, *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc, rep from * across, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each of next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 2 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 6: Ch 1, sc in each of next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 4 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, (remove marker),turn.

Row 7: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in next dc of hat (remove marker),cont. sc in each st around entire hat to other side of brim, join yarn to side of brim. Fasten off, weave in loose ends with tapestry needle.

©2011 Helen Heaverin This pattern is copyright protected and for personal use only.

post-45895-135897626988_thumb.jpg

post-45895-13589762699_thumb.jpg

post-45895-135897626992_thumb.jpg

post-45895-135897626994_thumb.jpg

Is there any chance of a video tutorial on this I just can't see to understand written patterns and my grandson is due in a couple weeks. 

Hi Sunni1960, welcome to the 'ville!  This pattern was posted 8 years ago and the person who posted this pattern has not been active here since that time, so she may not see your post, and not everyone has the ability to do video.  Her post's typeface was really tiny for some reason, would it help if I blew up the font for you?

Newborn Ballcap

DESIGNED BY

Helen Heaverin

SKILL LEVEL

Easy

FINISHED SIZE

Newborn

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS

13.5”

GAUGE

8 dc and 5 rows = 2”

MATERIALS

· Caron Simply Soft 3 oz. (85 g) skein

· Size F/5/3.75 mm crochet hook or size to obtain gauge

· Tapestry needle

· Stitch markers

SPECIAL STITCHES

Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc): YO, insert hook from front to back around post of dc on previous rnd. Complete same as regular dc.

Beginning Double Crochet Decrease (beg dc dec): Ch 2, dc in next dc, (counts as 1 dc).

PATTERN NOTES

Beg Ch-3 counts as dc.

BALLCAP

Rnd 1: Ch 3, 11 dc in ring, join: 12 dc.

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, *2dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next dc, rep from * around, join: 24 sts.

Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 36 sts.

Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in each of next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *skip next dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 48 sts.

Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 6 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join: 54 sts.

Rnd 6: Beg dc dec (see special stitches), dc in each of next 6 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, *skip next dc, dc in each of next 7 dc, (dc, fpdc) in next fpdc, rep from * around, sl st in top of beg dc dec (not the ch-2).

Rnd 7: Ch 3, dc in each of next 7 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, *dc in each of next 8 dc, fpdc in next fpdc, rep from * around, join.

Rnds 8-11: Rep rnds 6-7 twice. Fasten off.

BRIM:

Row 1: Sc in each of next 16 dc, turn: 17 sc. (this leaves 4 dc between marker and last sc)

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in next sc, *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc, rep from * across, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each of next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 2 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on the side of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, turn.

Row 6: Ch 1, sc in each of next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each sc across to within last 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 4 sc, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in each of next 2 dc of hat, (remove marker),turn.

Row 7: Ch 1, sc in each sc across brim, sc on the side of previous rnd on end of brim, sc in next dc of hat (remove marker),cont. sc in each st around entire hat to other side of brim, join yarn to side of brim. Fasten off, weave in loose ends with tapestry needle.

• 4 weeks later...

This is adorable.  I just finished a little doll and tried to do a baseball cap and couldn't do it.  I'm going to try this.  THANK YOU.  Eileen

• 10 months later...
On 2/11/2011 at 9:28 AM, heaverinscrochet said:

I've made many ballcaps using a light weight baby yarn, however I wanted to use a worsted weight yarn. I adapted the pattern to compensate for the different yarn and wanted to share the end result. I haven't had this pattern tested, hopefully it is clear and error-free. Please contact me if you find any problems with it or have difficulties understanding the directions. Enjoy

:hook

Newborn Ballcap

DESIGNED BY

Helen Heaverin

SKILL LEVEL

Easy

FINISHED SIZE

Newborn

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS

13.5”

GAUGE

8 dc and 5 rows = 2”

MATERIALS

· Tapestry needle

· Stitch markers

SPECIAL STITCHES

PATTERN NOTES

Beg Ch-3 counts as dc.

BALLCAP

BRIM:

post-45895-135897626988_thumb.jpg

post-45895-13589762699_thumb.jpg

post-45895-135897626992_thumb.jpg

post-45895-135897626994_thumb.jpg

How can I download this free pattern

Hi Grandkids, there's no "download" without you copying the text of the pattern on some text editor yourself (you should have at least Notepad if you have a PC, I just tried it and it works but it doesn't handle photos).

If you scroll up on this page I cleaned up the formatting to make it more legible about a year ago when someone complained about the original tiny type size (this is the version I just tested with Notepad).  I don't believe that my reformat violated the original poster's copyright  (and I was sure to include her copyright info), but I'm fairly sure if I or someone not the designer created a downloadable pdf document from the original text and posted it, that would not be legal, and I don't want to get this forum's owner (or me) into trouble.