Need mommy crochet opinions

Lefthook

Question

My cousin's wife is expecting her first baby. I'm told she's a knitting fiend and will probably make lots of her own baby stuff. What are unusual things or things she might need duplicates of? I never had babies, so I'm not really sure. What about a hooded blanket (think Pound o' Love label), perhaps done for after a bath and some washcloths or bath mitts? Or a floor activity mat? (to put an infant on the floor), maybe black and white and red? Suggestions? :think

10 answers to this question

I would say washcloths, bibs and burp cloths made with varigated cotton yarn. washcloths just chain as many as you want wide and then i use HDC it is absorbant and soft. Burp cloths are just large rectangles. The link above is a nice easy bib pattern. How about a blanket buddy from Lion. Crochet pattern central has some really great free patterns and ideas. when is she due...cold weather babies need hats and many blankets and little feet can get very cold so booties are a great idea. Warm weather babies still need light blankets for when in air conditioning how about a filet blanket with a rocking horse or ducks. this pattern is one i am making for my first granddaughter due in June.

I agree with Chrissy. I make lots of baby clothing items myself. So it is very important to do whatever you can by knitting. It is cheaper, and it gives you something to do!!

what about one of those ribbon-blanket things. (There's a name for them, really) crochet a square, about 16", and then sew on different textured bits of ribbon, doubled over, so the cut ends are by the blankie part (tucked in and sewed closed is good)...the ribbons are usually about 2" beyond the blanket...big enough to play with and chew on, without causing major issues. Hope I'm explaining it clearly.

If it's a girl, a headband would be cute (and those aren't something easily knit), or those ruffled-cuff socks (again, much easier to make in crochet than knit, so that'd be extra special for her too)

how about a mobile for above her bed, or a few dangly-toys for the infant seat...(make an ami, make two shortish strings (about 4"), by chaining and slip-stitching back, to tie around the handle)

(Just a thought...You might want to find out what kind of colors she prefers if you decide to make a blanket/floor mat. While black white and red offer strong contrasts, some people still prefer softer shades...(I did ;)) )

I vote for a floor blanket and if you wanted to be really clever, you could do it like the stadium blankets are done so it could be folded into itself and has handles. Those are nice and easy to grab and take when going to a friends house that you may not want the baby directly on the floor.

I know I really don’t qualify as a Mommy, but I’ll bet you weren’t really excluding men.

The latest edition of Crochet Today!, starting on page 75 and ending 91 has a whole section of items a crocheter might make which I think unlikely made by a knitter, no matter how avid a fan. In addition to the items shown there are instructions and symbol renderings of some Numbers and Letters which could be co-opted for many more uses. http://crochettoday.com/

John Hablinski Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

Archived