Braxxi

Felting - 100% Wool Only?

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if a yarn that is 75% wool will felt or not. The label does not say "superwash" but does say it can be washed in a washer in 40 degree water. I was wondering if I washed it in HOT water and dried it on HOT if it would felt or not. Thanks for any info!

Well, I decided to go ahead and make the hat according to the directions and see what I end up with. :hook

I also decided to try the dryer-felting method I read about in another post. I have 6 dryer balls that I threw in with the hat and set the temp on low. I hope this works!

Ok. I spend FOREVER felting this hat. I still have some stitch definition, but I think that's because I was using a 75% wool blend. The felting in the dryer did work, but took a long time. I'll post a pic when I get one taken. My daughter likes it, which is all that matters...I guess.

It might felt somewhat, but only a test swatch will tell you how much. Besides 100% wool, I know that soy yarn felts very well.

Is that a soy, wool blend? I can no longer use wool and would love to try something else! I love to felt and really miss it.

classic crochet in answer to your question yes there is a soy/wool blend that felts really well. I use the Patons as others on here have. I'm sure other companies make soy/wool just haven't come across those! ;)