Bpost;Fpost

#1Crochetfan

Question

Hi all :) :

I've just joined this great site and am hoping someone out there can explain to me a problem I've encountered with my project.

When doing BP along the rightside of my project, I come to the end. Now, I am to turn it over, chain and do FP along the wrongside of my project. My question is, is the FP the one furthest away (the orig. FP) or the closest one now? Help!!!?? :think

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Thanks. I thought so but wanted someone else to help confirm this. With this answer, I can complete this last row. The front of my project gets attached to the back via this row which is why I feel it may be important. It may look better one way over the other. Once again, thanks.

This is the one stitch I can NOT comprehend. A coworker makes beautiful basketweave patterns but even though she's tried to show me...nope..my little brain gets fouled up. It doesn't help that I have perception problems to start with. Signs like 'road ends 3000 feet mean NOTHING to me. I just know to stop the car.

Kathy

Okay, now that I'm done giggling (my imagination sometimes gets carried away, watched too many cartoons as a kid), let me see if I can explain these stitches in an understandable way.

With both front and back-post, you are working your stitch into the BODY of the stitch below, rather than into the top loops. For a frontpost, you will be sticking your hook into the space to the RIGHT of the stitch you are working around (this would be your right, as the work is facing you), from the front so that the hook sticks out in the back of your work, then turning the hook toward your left hand, bring it back through the front on the left side of the stitch, do your yarn-over and pull it back out the way your hook came in. You then finish the stitch in the normal fashion, and your stitch extends up from the previous row in front of the top loops.

The backpost is a little bit trickier, but the process is the same, except that you will start by poking your hook from the backside of your work, again on the right side of the body of the stitch (again, this would be your right, or the side closest to your right hand) you will be working around, so that the hook is pointing AT you, then turn it so the hook points at your left hand and poke it back through to the back on the left side of the body of the stitch, do your yarn-over and pull it back through the way you came. Then finish the stitch. This will result in a stitch that extends up from behind your work, with the top loops of the previous row in the front, facing you.

These stitches are easiest to do in double-crochet because you have a taller stitch body to work around, though I know it can be done in single and half-double crochet, just not as much room to maneuver in. But it looks best in double, or longer.

I don't know much about left-handed techniques, but I would guess the process would be a mirror of what I just described.

Don't know if this description has helped or confused more! I hope the former. I even had to go grab some yarn and a hook and do the stitches to make sure I was describing them correctly!

Archived