Is Crochetville flying?! Upgraded server.

Donna

I hope you are finding Crochetville super fast today! Last night we doubled the RAM on our server. It was a long-overdue upgrade, and should eliminate the intermittent forum slowness some of you may have experienced at times.

We were offline for less than 15 minutes, from approximately 2:00 AM to 2:13 AM Eastern Time. If you were trying to visit then, we're sorry for the inconvenience!

Please let me know if the forum is responding more quickly for you today (or, of course, if it is not!). Thank you! :ghug

Donna

Thanks, everybody! I'm glad to hear our server doing well! :c9

and how do you function at 2am? lol
It depends! Sometimes it isn't easy and sometimes I'm pumped up. Between 2-5 AM Eastern Time is our least busy time, so that is usually when I do forum software upgrades or other downtime. But I can't take credit for this one! :D This particular upgrade was not done by me because it was a hardware upgrade, which means it had to be done by our web host. So somebody physically walked up to our server and put a new memory chip in it. We're now at our max memory for this particular server, so if we need more in the future, we'll actually be moving to a new server.

Noticing a marked difference- I'm usually on very early in the morning (around 5:30-6:00 EST) before work where I never had a problem, but in the evening after work--sometimes it was soooooooo sloowwwwwww that I would just have to log off!

This is great that you have upgraded- and thank you Donna (and Amy) for this wonderful place called "the ville"

Now if we only didn't have to wait so long between posts. (hint, hint)
This is a floodcheck that prevents users from flooding the forum with posts (which could be done automatically with a bot after a user is registered). We're already working extra hard to fight spammers lately, so I'd have to look into the risk of reducing this limit.

This is a floodcheck that prevents users from flooding the forum with posts (which could be done automatically with a bot after a user is registered). We're already working extra hard to fight spammers lately, so I'd have to look into the risk of reducing this limit.

That makes sense and we sure don't need any spammers clogging the ville!!!

Gotcha! 15 or 20 seconds would be nice but if 10 seconds is the difference between keeping us safe from bots then it's worth waiting for.

Gotcha! 15 or 20 seconds would be nice but if 10 seconds is the difference between keeping us safe from bots then it's worth waiting for.
That's the thing, I'm not sure if the extra 10 to 15 seconds matters or not. The default and recommended limit is 30 seconds, but it may be slightly arbitrary. I mean, if a minute were 40 seconds instead of 60 seconds, would the default limit be 20 seconds? :think:lol

It does seem to be moving right along. Even with all the ice hanging from all the fiber optics to and from town at 14 degrees F too! LOL.

Archived