dana4987

Sounds silly but...

Question

I need some advice if any of you ladies can offer me some. It something very simple but I have much trouble with it. No laughing lol.

Well I come across many many patterns asking me to chain like 60 or 140....and join with a slip stitch, and it always says "be careful not to twist chain"!!! This is where my problem begins. I can never ever ever get that doggone chain straight. Of course its always twisted. Any secrets?

13 answers to this question

Twisted chains are no laughing matter! Don't feel silly; I am willing to bet even the best crocheters have problems with them from time to time. For me, sometimes I will take the hook out, slide the chain through my fingers, keeping a tight grasp on one end, line up the two ends, and then put the hook through both loops.

Edited by amydepew

No secrets that I know of. Mine always get twisted too.

:manyheart

Indeed we do all have trouble with this but there is a very simple solution. DON'T JOIN THE CHAIN! Instead work the first round as a row, then join at the end of that first row.

When the project is finished, use the long yarn end you left at the beginning, thread it into a yarn needle and tack that first round at the bottom.

Problem solved.

Jean Leinhauser

thanks ladies! i appreciate the advice. i get so frustrated with this. I find a lovely pattern and dread when i see something like this. because it always always twists on me. and then i just get upset and give up lol. thank you all again!

I've tried both methods..running the chains through my fingers, slowly, and in "sections"...the dropped bit between pulls is still facing the right way, so you can ignore it after untwisting...but Jean's method is definitely easier. and doesn't show, either.

The secret (mine, anyway) is to read the directions first and refuse to make anything that gets that fussy!

Indeed we do all have trouble with this but there is a very simple solution. DON'T JOIN THE CHAIN! Instead work the first round as a row, then join at the end of that first row.

When the project is finished, use the long yarn end you left at the beginning, thread it into a yarn needle and tack that first round at the bottom.

Problem solved.

Jean Leinhauser

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

:manyheart

Thanks Jean, I used to put a safety pin to hang every 20 or so stitches so that I knew when they all hung the same way it was straight. Jeans way is alot easier. I only used the foundation method on doilies and thread. But that was how I was taught, never to old to learn....

Jean's way is the way to go. I found this method a few years ago and it really does work. I would rather tack one stitch instead of ripping it out over and over. This method saves so much time and frustration. Good luck.

I hold my hook firmly in my right hand and pinch the chain the way I want it to go, then I run my other hand down it gently pinching the chain the way I want it to face - it runs through my hand.

For longer chains, it's hard to explain how I feed it but I'll move what I have "straightened" over to my right hand and keep feeding the chain through my left... ugh. Looks like this is a good video to make for my blog LOL

The secret (mine, anyway) is to read the directions first and refuse to make anything that gets that fussy!

:lol