I can do it!

Auntie Kellie

So I've been practicing my knitting and now I no longer have any problems with the stockingette stitch. It was a real pain in the butt because after purling, I'd have a hard time slipping the needles through for the knit row. I don't have a clue what I'm doing differently, I just know it works. Being ambitious, I'm working on the kid's camoflage hoodie sweater by Bernat and after three days, I'm almost done the back part.

How good are the bamboo or plastic needles? Right now, I'm using aluminum needles and I find the yarn tends to drag against the needles making it difficult. I tried the trick where you run them through your hair to make them slippery but then I get hair stuck in the yarn and have to take the time to pull it all out. Would the plastic or bamboo needles have more slide to them on a consistant basis? I have one pair of plastic needles but they're not the right size for this project and I really want the bamboo ones because they're rather pretty.

Hugs and Cookies.

Good for you!:cheer

What brand of needles are you using?

I have a few Boye needles that I guess are aluminum and I don't like to knit with them at all. lol I can't remember now exactly why I don't like them so that's not much help:P

I have some bamboo needles and I enjoy using them but bamboo is not really very slippery. My favorite needles are Addis which are nickel plated and the yarn slides nicely on them.

Your description of how your purls used to be hard to knit into, sounds to me like you had tight tension initially, but now it has loosened up. Tight tension will also cause it to be hard to move the yarn along the needle. My tension was very tight when I started, but has loosened up a lot in the couple of years I've been knitting. So you may find the same to be true.

Yes, I believe they are Boye needles. They're okay but I just hate stopping every so often to re-oil them with my hair. I was hoping with Bamboo being a more natural fiber, they'd be easier to use. Maybe I can find a pair of plastic ones to try with and see how they do. I'm also going to look into the nickel plated ones you mentioned and see if any of my crafty friends might have a pair I can borrow.

Hugs and Cookies

I do like my bamboo needles a LOT better than the Boye, so bamboo is worth a try I'd say. I think plastic may be less slippery than bamboo.

I think you can also rub wax paper on a needle or hook to make it more slippery.

It really depends on the needles. Some are more slippery than others.

Bamboo works well. Give it a try. Good luck in your knitting.

:manyheart

Archived